Double Degree Timetable (1 Viewer)

T-Hud

HSC
Just a quick question- How much busier, if at all, will my timetable be if I were to undertake a double degree? Thanks

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Its the same workload as a single degree
The only difference is the duration of your course e.g single will take 4yrs while a double will take 5yrs

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Its the same workload as a single degree
The only difference is the duration of your course e.g single will take 4yrs while a double will take 5yrs
This.

The time is made up through no electives, similar/common subjects being omitted and in commerce or business (combined with something like Engineering) only having one major as opposed to two. Sometimes combined degrees have less workload as the degree you are combining with may have less contact hours than the other degree.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
This.

The time is made up through no electives, similar/common subjects being omitted and in commerce or business (combined with something like Engineering) only having one major as opposed to two. Sometimes combined degrees have less workload as the degree you are combining with may have less contact hours than the other degree.
How much would Bus/law be at UTS? I have heard 17-18 contact hours per week is about the average for comm/law at other uni's.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
well for example people doing a plain BSc have more hours than a person doing a BSc/BA just the BSc/Ba have an extra year

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
How much would Bus/law be at UTS? I have heard 17-18 contact hours per week is about the average for comm/law at other uni's.
No idea, don't do law and haven't looked into it all. First sem is all business afaik though so would be less than that.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Pretty sure its like a maximum of 15hrs a week
Yeah, tbh I can't see anything besides Engineering and Science (or any course with a regular practical/lab component in addition to tutes) getting much beyond about 15 contact hours per week.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
First sem was all business and that was 12 hours (4 subjects at 3 hours each).

Second sem is 2 foundies and 1 business subject. 1 of the foundies has 7 contact hours a week, but that finishes mid-way through the semester, and as far as I know, UTS is getting rid of this subject next year and the second semester will include 2 business subjects and 2 law subjects. The other law foundie is 4 hours, and the usual 3 contact hours for the business subject so it's 14 hours for the first 8 weeks, and 7 for the remainder.

This is the course handbook:

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/courses/c10125.html

It says anywhere between 10-15 hours for the law side, and every business subject, as far as I know, only has 3 contact hours a week. You can essentially pick whatever subjects you want to do and in what order because you don't have to follow the handbook, so it'll all basically depend on what you mix and match. But I think you need to seek the faculty's approval to take more than the recommended subjects a semester. From memory the guy at the business faculty administration said you need a D average to prove you can cope with the course work, but I might be wrong about that one. brent012 might be able to cast some light on that because if I recall correctly, he did 5 subjects last semester.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
From memory the guy at the business faculty administration said you need a D average to prove you can cope with the course work, but I might be wrong about that one. brent012 might be able to cast some light on that because if I recall correctly, he did 5 subjects last semester.
I'm not sure if there are any prerequisites for overloading, as far as I was aware before there were none. I did do 5 subjects last sem but one of them was 3 cp (i.e. half a subject) and that's the way the course progression plan suggests it so most students do overload for that (and 3 other related 3cp subjets) or do them over summer.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Pretty sure its like a maximum of 15hrs a week
First sem was all business and that was 12 hours (4 subjects at 3 hours each).

Second sem is 2 foundies and 1 business subject. 1 of the foundies has 7 contact hours a week, but that finishes mid-way through the semester, and as far as I know, UTS is getting rid of this subject next year and the second semester will include 2 business subjects and 2 law subjects. The other law foundie is 4 hours, and the usual 3 contact hours for the business subject so it's 14 hours for the first 8 weeks, and 7 for the remainder.

This is the course handbook:

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/courses/c10125.html

It says anywhere between 10-15 hours for the law side, and every business subject, as far as I know, only has 3 contact hours a week. You can essentially pick whatever subjects you want to do and in what order because you don't have to follow the handbook, so it'll all basically depend on what you mix and match. But I think you need to seek the faculty's approval to take more than the recommended subjects a semester. From memory the guy at the business faculty administration said you need a D average to prove you can cope with the course work, but I might be wrong about that one. brent012 might be able to cast some light on that because if I recall correctly, he did 5 subjects last semester.
I'm not sure if there are any prerequisites for overloading, as far as I was aware before there were none. I did do 5 subjects last sem but one of them was 3 cp (i.e. half a subject) and that's the way the course progression plan suggests it so most students do overload for that (and 3 other related 3cp subjets) or do them over summer.
Thanks guys, that really clarifies it.

I tried to rep you all but was only successful with brent012 for some reason, can someone rep parvee and crobat for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)