Double Major or get out early? (1 Viewer)

goodnessme

HSC
Hey guys, I just got transferred from another degree to commerce. I am considering 2 options:

1) Take 24 credit points from my first year and use them as elective credit points. I will then do only one major which will be Accounting. This way I can save myself from doing 1 semester.

2) Take no credit points and start all over again. This way I can only do a second finance major due to restriction in the accounting major.

Is the second major really that important? If I take the 1st option, would that make me much less employable? Is finance really that important if I want to become a CA?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I just got transferred from another degree to commerce. I am considering 2 options:

1) Take 24 credit points from my first year and use them as elective credit points. I will then do only one major which will be Accounting. This way I can save myself from doing 1 semester.

2) Take no credit points and start all over again. This way I can only do a second finance major due to restriction in the accounting major.

Is the second major really that important? If I take the 1st option, would that make me much less employable? Is finance really that important if I want to become a CA?
No

I did an Accounting (single) major and Business Law minor and I'm into my final CA module

If you're interested in finance and want to learn those subjects then do it, I guess its worth it in the long run, but if you're set on accounting and becoming a CA, then get out early (although with the current conditions, could be wise to stay at uni a bit longer if you can?)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
an option is to finish your single accounting degree - get out - get a job - in first half of your first year when you wait to get enough experience before starting CA subjects, do a post grad finance qualification - finsia/kaplan or CFA if you are uber keen - before you start your CA subjects.

you save a year and possibly get your work to pay for it.

goodnessme

HSC
Thanks guys, I guess you're right, work experience is important as well. I guess I'll stick to plan 1)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Ordinarily I would say that having two majors is advantageous but taking into account your circumstances, Option 1 does sound like the more pragmatic approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)