Drama Schools (1 Viewer)

adsphat

HSC
Hey all,
Well, it's almost August, time to really put my head down and find a drama school for next year!
I'm a Melbourne boy, however i am more then willing to move to Sydney.
Just wondering if anyone has any comments on:
The Actors Centre
The Australian Academy of Dramatic arts (aada)
and; Actors college of theatre and television (actt)
Do you know how many people apply for these coursesi, and how many are sucessful? Do you feel
that they are well know in the industry and can produce an industry trained actor?
And if anyone has any experiences with the National Theatre in Melbourne, could you also please sgare your
views, and answer the above questions and whatever more you can.
I am being realistic here, and yes, I know the whole NIDA, VCA thing, but I know I am far to young
for these places.
Thanks alot for your time guys, all answers are greatly appreciated. :)
Adrian

HSC
I wouldnt go to AADA personally, but i guess 4 lil courses they are alright but you can find better places 4 courses. ACTT i would recommend, their teachers heaps qualified and still have professional experience and shit. The actors centre is excellent and so is ensemble theatre.
If ur into theatre-i highly recommend Sydney Theatre School

GOODLUCK!!!

adsphat

HSC
Yeah, awesome. Has anyone here had experiences with ACTT? I recon they seem pretty pro.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
If you're going to go to any of the smaller places I'd do ACA...but a lot of their graduates just do chorus work for major musicals.

If you're serious about becoming a professional performer I'd seriously consider WAAPA acting course and VCAs...but I'd go WAAPA performance over VCA.

And as for the whole 'i'm straight out of school I won't get in...' It's a load of shit. If you're good enough to get in, you'll get in. Maybe not so at NIDA, but that's because they're a tad anally retentive.

Sappling

HSC
I disagree, i did a documentary film for AADA last year, and they seem great. Really nice people, good facilities, just as 'professional' as any other school..

anneh

HSC
i'd recommend ACTT. i did the ACTIVATE course there a couple of years ago, it was pretty awesome.
with that course, i learnt a lot in the space of a year, and like SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said, the people there are heaps qualified and know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

Lani89

HSC
Does your success in the entertainment industry depend much on the institute you went to? Obviously NIDA would be seen as the best but if you don't get in, do you have a change at still having a successful career in theatre acting by learning at other places which are not as prominent? I am mainly interested in musical theatre, theatre acting and maybe television.

jazzmuzik

HSC
this thread hasnt been active for a while... but i was wondering the same thing,
what uni's offer a course featuring acting? like not nida or vca or waapa... just other uni's maybe a creative arts course where you can study acting?
anyone?

Lani89

HSC
University of Wollongong have a performing arts course which is mainly acting and singing but I haven't heard of many successful graduates from there. One of the lecturers said that one guy was in an ABC ad.

nearlythere...

HSC
I think whether or not you're successful depends on if you have talent or not, and I think there's a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time as well. Of course, whichever performing arts school you go to would help, but I guess if you have talent, you have talent.

Then again, I'm by no means an expert on this stuff.

Lani89

HSC
Skillo said:
If you're going to go to any of the smaller places I'd do ACA...but a lot of their graduates just do chorus work for major musicals.

If you're serious about becoming a professional performer I'd seriously consider WAAPA acting course and VCAs...but I'd go WAAPA performance over VCA.

And as for the whole 'i'm straight out of school I won't get in...' It's a load of shit. If you're good enough to get in, you'll get in. Maybe not so at NIDA, but that's because they're a tad anally retentive.
What does ACA stand for?

SpunkT

HSC
Goodluck adrian :)

I am also applying for alot accross the board, nida,actt,waapa,vca,ac, sydney theatre school ....so yeah... :) hope life is kind to us both :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)