Drop Chemistry Or Not? (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
hey guys
im so confused and i don't know if i should drop chemistry or not...

im doing the following subjects and ranks

mathematics 1/12
mathematics extension 1 1/3
biology 1/20
business studies 1/14
SOR 2unit 1/17
English 3/25
chemistry 6/20

my school rank is in the mid 300's this year but the year before we were in the mid 100's

the thing is im on 13 units and chemistry is definitively my weakest subject because
1) my teachers method of teaching is very all over the place and unorganised and confuses me but
2)also because i focus too much time on my other subjects. i would definitively drop it but i want to get into medicine which has a lot of chemistry involved. i understand chemistry but i have limited time because of all my other subjects that im really strong in...

so should i drop chemistry and try to maximize my ATAR and then get into uni and do medicine or should i keep chemistry for the sake of doing it. We're up to the 3rd module for HSC chemistry and i came first in prelim (personal study) but i got both 82% in the assessment and half yearly in year 12.

any comments really appreciated.
thanx to everyone

Magical Kebab

HSC
Speak to your career advisor. You should weigh up how much you need it + how much u like it. I guess if u can work ur way around it u can drop it or if u really need it for uni, keep it.

mike12345678

HSC
tbh when i self teach it i actually like it. its challenging and quite fun. the theory is also easy if i had the time to study for it. but then i so back into class and the teacher pretty much confuses me so yea. im looking at medicine in UNSW and UWS where chemistry is recommended but is not essential. i don't want to drop any other subject (other than English :p) because i really like them and do really well in them.

then i was thinking dropping or keeping will both be an issue. lets say i drop it and get a good enough ATAR and UMAT and i get the interview. they might ask why i didnt do chem and then they will ask why i dropped it. they will then think im not competent in self teaching and those related skills.

then if i keep it and i don't do well then they'll ask why i didn't do as well and it will impact the result of the interview.

this is sorta what im thinking let me know if im wrong

bleakarcher

HSC
I recommend keeping chem if you want to study medicine in uni.

Coookies

HSC
Though you like your other subjects, if you want more time then you should drop one and keep chemistry

jack2808

HSC
personally i wouldn't drop chemistry, as it is extremely vital in your base understanding of science, especially in a medicine career, but if your not doing so well in it at this stage for whatever reason, i would focus more of your study towards your other subjects to maximise your ATAR and do as best you can in chemistry. This way, if you don't do so well it won't bring down your ATAR, as it is your best 10 units that count. Also, you won't have to worry about it not meeting pre-requisites, etc... Remember, this is YOUR decision whatever you think is probably the best way to go. best of luck

madharris

HSC
N/A
If chemistry is your weakest subject I would drop it
My friends (who do medicine) say that it's nothing like HSC chemistry, and that it's more similar to the prelim course. If you want to do medicine or another similar course, you can just bridge chemistry.

jnney

lemon
HSC
tbh when i self teach it i actually like it. its challenging and quite fun. the theory is also easy if i had the time to study for it. but then i so back into class and the teacher pretty much confuses me so yea. im looking at medicine in UNSW and UWS where chemistry is recommended but is not essential. i don't want to drop any other subject (other than English :p) because i really like them and do really well in them.

then i was thinking dropping or keeping will both be an issue. lets say i drop it and get a good enough ATAR and UMAT and i get the interview. they might ask why i didnt do chem and then they will ask why i dropped it. they will then think im not competent in self teaching and those related skills.

then if i keep it and i don't do well then they'll ask why i didn't do as well and it will impact the result of the interview.

this is sorta what im thinking let me know if im wrong
they won't ask you why you dropped chemistry, don't worry.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
any other opinions or thoughts??
If you believe that it will have a detrimental affect on your ATAR and a waste of time, then drop it. Universities do have bridging courses to fill in the gaps that you've missed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)