dropping a subject (1 Viewer)

jeikyung

HSC
so atm i have 12 units
4u maths, 2u english, 2u senior science, 2u ipt and 2u info tech

i want to drop IT..but can i have 10 units?
the teachers wouldnt let me drop it coz they said it can be a back up subject. but i just wanna know if i can drop it and just have 4u maths, 2u english, 2u senior science and 2u ipt therefore just 10 units

cheers :)

samantha251192

HSC
yes, u can drop a subject. in NSW we only have to have 10 units as a minimum in order to do our HSC. although, it is a good idea to keep the 12 units so that u have a back up subject incase u do really bad in one of ur other ones, that way ur ATAR will go off the marks from ur top 5 subjects.

i decided to drop a subjest at the end of yr 11 tho because i'd rather study more on 4 subjects (and a VET class) then study on all 6 of mu subjects, i found it easier to cope with just 4 + VET :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
yes, u can drop a subject. in NSW we only have to have 10 units as a minimum in order to do our HSC.
+1 on that. but u have to be sure u will go well with the rest of the 10 units. if u stuffs one one subject, ur ATAR will be effect by it. and ur teacher is quite right, having a back-up subject could save u. but once again, is really a personal preference and whether u are confident with ur 10 units subject.

kcqn93

HSC
unless you're definite that you'll be keeping 4unit maths then drop

my school didnt let me drop from 13 to 11 units until i "proved" myself in the half yearlies... :S

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Having 12 units gives you a back-up in case you screw up one subject so that your ATAR won't take a hit.

Having 10 units allow you more time to focus on those subjects and theoretically you should do better in them since you can devote more study to them.

Up to personal preference though.

twistedrebel

HSC
My school has a rule that for 4u maths you need 11 or 12 units until you can prove you can handle 4u and do all the work.

nonsenseTM

HSC
drop IT if you're not interested in it and getting relatively worse results. (also considering scaling and stuff)

and I think the "school rules" are just crap, they can't really stop you from doing 10units if it's reasonable.

gracee09

HSC
i dropped geography at the end of year 11 (now have 10 units)...

teachers gave me an ear-full about how i need a back up subject and how i'll crumble under the pressure...

my answer to that was at least i'm not wasting time on a subject that doesn't count towards anything at all... :)

HSC
hmmm this is interesting... i myself have been wondering whehter to do 10 units for my HSC

looking at previous UAC stats, seems like most UAI 99+ people do 12 units, but there are several 100's that did 10 units so its not necessarily a bad thing

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Having 12 units gives you a back-up in case you screw up one subject so that your ATAR won't take a hit.

Having 10 units allow you more time to focus on those subjects and theoretically you should do better in them since you can devote more study to them.

Up to personal preference though.
+1

But remember that 12 units isn't that much work so unless you hate a subject/suck at it despite spending lots of time on it don't drop.

10 units is fine, just remember to actually use your extra time to study, not procrastinate :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)