Dropping down from Commerce/Law to single Commerce...parents wont allow it! (1 Viewer)

lau101

HSC
I am hating law, and I know people think it gets better after Intro to law and justice but I don't want to pursure a career in law, I know that for certain. I also love commerce because I am interested in business and prefer big lectures rather thran little discussion groups

Problem is I mentioned it to my parents and they basically told me to move out if I do that. Help , what do I do? :( I also want to hurry and be done with uni and not have a massive debt which I have as a result of enrolling in a 5 year degree~ Just wanna get mylife underway

Do you think I am crazy to 'downgrade'
Thanks

enoilgam

HSC
Do you think I am crazy to 'downgrade'
Thanks
I downgraded and I think it was the right decision. Ultimately, I hated Law (I did first and second year stuff) and I didnt really want to pursue a career in the field. Given how difficult Law is to break into, I decided that it wasnt worth doing. If you are dedicated to Commerce, stick with that and use the extra time to build your CV. That will definitely help build your employability and make the decision to drop Law worthwhile.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I dropped out from law and went to do commerce and media. I'm feeling so good now.

If you don't wanna do it, even one month is tough. I see you are so certain that its not your cup of tea, then simply drop out and try to convince them its what you want. You never know your limit when the passion drives you.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can drop out of law and then tell your parents about it at a later time, you have a right to make some decisions about your own future and life, perhaps sit down with your parents and calmly explain to them the reasons why you wish to drop law and perhaps also understand their concerns about why they don't wish you to drop it.

lau101

HSC
Thanks everyone for your input so far! I really appreciate :)
@Hey Jes are you doing journalism?
I would possibly like to do Media/comm or arts/comm, but my only concern is having just one commerce major.
I know its my decision, but my parents are really tough...sometimes I wish I just got rejected for law entry haha!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just go for what you like and what you want.

Some people would tell me to go do something else than what I am currently doing but I told them I'd rather do what I am doing now over anything else.

And all the people who made the suggestions made them on the basis of job security, $$$ and zero risk factors involved.

EDIT:

To add, tell your parents about what would happen if you do law and find it difficult to cope, decreasing your free time to develop your commerce skills, decreasing your WAM, etc.

That way they will realise soon enough that the best thing is to let you do what you want as that is the best way for you to succeed.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Why did you pick Comm/Law? If it was mostly for law, then maybe you should also reconsider the commerce part - is that also what you want to be doing?

A year or two, ten-twenty grand on HECS doesn't amount to a whole lot in the end. The course you end up doing will impact what you end up doing for the rest of your life (besides more study, putting extra work in, natural talent etc.)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks everyone for your input so far! I really appreciate :)
@Hey Jes are you doing journalism?
I would possibly like to do Media/comm or arts/comm, but my only concern is having just one commerce major.
I know its my decision, but my parents are really tough...sometimes I wish I just got rejected for law entry haha!
No, they force u to pick the PR stream as its the only available option.
And yes in this case you only get to keep only 1 comm major.
What you want to major in commerce?

lau101

HSC
I chose commerce law as I always to do commerce and perhaps a language as I am passionate for
These but when I got my atar estimate my parents convinced me to put combined law
Before commerce and supriskngly
I ended up getting in
I want to major in accounting and either finance or
Hr :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't enjoy doing law, then there is probably no point forcing yourself to do it. Maybe find a better time to speak to your parents about it.

As some other people have said, it is ultimately your decision what you choose to do and it is your right to choose it. If you feel like dropping Law is the best idea, then you should. However, I understand that this can be difficult depending on the context of how you were raised to view your parents. In asian families in particular, children are raised to give their parents a lot of respect and what a parent say is viewed as the final decision.

If you have been raised to embrace such a view, perhaps my suggestion is to still being "studying" Commerce/Law but only enrol into Commerce courses. Once you are able to persuade your parents, you can then drop the law degree.

I can say for myself, this is how I have been raised and a lot of the things my parents say I accept it even if I don't necessarily agree. However, my parents have started to become open minded with a lot of things. Often when I find an appropriate time to talk to them, I am able to persuade them to adopt my view.

I am sure if you give your parents some time and try to reason with them, they will understand your views and not force you to move out.

In my case, my parents did not want me to study Law. They have a negative perception of lawyers but I was able to persuade them to change that view.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently only the first topic is dry. So maybe try one more sem to see how it goes.

lau101

HSC
If you don't enjoy doing law, then there is probably no point forcing yourself to do it. Maybe find a better time to speak to your parents about it.

As some other people have said, it is ultimately your decision what you choose to do and it is your right to choose it. If you feel like dropping Law is the best idea, then you should. However, I understand that this can be difficult depending on the context of how you were raised to view your parents. In asian families in particular, children are raised to give their parents a lot of respect and what a parent say is viewed as the final decision.

If you have been raised to embrace such a view, perhaps my suggestion is to still being "studying" Commerce/Law but only enrol into Commerce courses. Once you are able to persuade your parents, you can then drop the law degree.

I can say for myself, this is how I have been raised and a lot of the things my parents say I accept it even if I don't necessarily agree. However, my parents have started to become open minded with a lot of things. Often when I find an appropriate time to talk to them, I am able to persuade them to adopt my view.

I am sure if you give your parents some time and try to reason with them, they will understand your views and not force you to move out.

In my case, my parents did not want me to study Law. They have a negative perception of lawyers but I was able to persuade them to change that view.
Wow I understand exactly!
My dad is actually quite open minded usually if I set out a plan define goals and seem serious about it. My
Mum however is extremely tough and before
Said I was embarassing
The family if I don't do law and ruining my life.
Ultimately I want a job
In commerce which she says I will not be competitive for without a law degree due to high supply. But I just want to finish earlier, have work life balance and enjoy university!
I'm glad someone understands. How should I approach foundies for
The rest of the semester? It takes up a lot of my time and I genuinely dread class! expected to have cases prepared etc but I can't risk failing
Thank you

lau101

HSC
I hate class discussion and ambiguity though!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I hate class discussion and ambiguity though!
Ambiguity is a dominant feature of law, the areas of uncertainty is what makes it complex and interesting, if you are well prepared, class discussion gives you an opportunity to increase your understanding of what the law is and why you are learning law:)

lau101

HSC
No, they force u to pick the PR stream as its the only available option.
And yes in this case you only get to keep only 1 comm major.
What you want to major in commerce?
I messaged you re media :)

lau101

HSC
oh i just realised i cant even get into media next semester because need to have done 36 units :(
Also I don't think my WAMwill be 75 due to the ILJ course....

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
i think you should change to engineering and build your own house. 2 birds with one stone - problem solved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)