dropping to 2u (1 Viewer)

HSC
ahhhh i have a dilemma...i dunno whether i should drop down to 2u. maths. At the moment im getting 90% in my assessment marks for 2u. but im barely passing for 3u. The thing is most of my subjects are not the high scaling type, except for ext. maths...and pplz have been teeling me to keep it because even if i get say...60/70 it will still ultimately boost my uai. is this true?

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
i used to get around 70% in my assessments and didn't do very well in my trials..but still i kept doing my work...and i guess i must have got a raw mark of b/w 60%-65% or around that in my HSC...and i ended up getting a mark of 44/50.

So yeah, Don't give up!!

Last edited:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
yeah...don't give up!! n stick 2 3u!! well, this is wat i feel u shud do!!

santaslayer

HSC
unless ur really stuffin 3 U up...i think u should keep it until hsc year, and then evaluate whether dropping would be feasible

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
unless ur really stuffin 3 U up...i think u should keep it until hsc year, and then evaluate whether dropping would be feasible
rite!!:)

HSC
perfectionist: whoaaa.....it really scales that high?? thats amazing..

but yeh i think i'll keep it and see how i go in my next assessment...another thing is that by doing 3u it just makes 2u seem like a piece of cake, im pretty sure all that would change if i do drop though, since the 2u teachers at my school are sh*t, the only decnet ones teach 3u.

anywayz...thanx guys

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
yeah peppermint_stix u are rite, having 3u is good and it helps a lot with 2unit work.

And also...always target easy stuff ...always trying harder stuff will make 3unit look harder and it will reduce your confidence!

Originally posted by peppermint_stix
perfectionist: whoaaa.....it really scales that high?? thats amazing..

yeah my tutor told me that if u get a raw mark of around 40/84....it scales upto 40/50(HSC mark)...but keep in mind it greatly depends on the hardnes of the paper and how the state goes.

Last edited:

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
i find that as i get further into 3 unit, it becomes my 'normal' while those in two unit find 2 unit their normal... i spose a synonym for normal would be comfort zone.

This makes 2U alot easier, as people have mentioned. It also scales very very well.

Furthermore, all maths teachers will teach above the standard of the HSC at the same time balancing speed with efficiency.

you will find that your HSC mark is alot better than you may suspect... that being said, your results are directly proportional to the effort you put in.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Whats with ppl asking strangers online whether they should drop a subject.

You know urself best. If u reckon its worth the struggle, keep it. If not, drop it. Your own judgment will always be infinitely superior than anyone here simply cos they aren't you.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
it also depends on how many other units you have. if you feel that you have extra and the work load is getting to you, then i reccomend you drop because there is no point in wasting time with something that you feel is worthless. but as you said, the 3 unit stuff helps you with the 2 unit stuff alot :)

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
yeah in my 3u class, we only have 8 in our class, whereas the 2u ppl are in a class of about 30. This makes for such a better learning environment and we end up whooping the 2u people's asses. depends how good your teacher is too

^___^
HSC
i was having this really bad time in 3u and my 2u marks wasn't flashy either

but somehow, my 3u mark in hsc was a e3band

like it was a huge surprise cost i was pulling 30% in exams

my 2u mark also increased dramatically over the months and managed to pull a band5 when during exams i was getting 60%

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by peppermint_stix
ahhhh i have a dilemma...i dunno whether i should drop down to 2u. maths. At the moment im getting 90% in my assessment marks for 2u. but im barely passing for 3u. The thing is most of my subjects are not the high scaling type, except for ext. maths...and pplz have been teeling me to keep it because even if i get say...60/70 it will still ultimately boost my uai. is this true?
are you in year 11 or 12?

if you are in year 11- i suggest you hang in there, because if you decide to drop the course, you would have covered the work allready and it makes it a lot easier

HSC
thanx for the input guys

HSC 4 life : im in yr 12...and i really wanna keep it, but my marks aren't improving since its hard for me to find time to study for it (i do 12 units)....and maths really does take up ALOT of time

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
From personal experience, it really pays off. I failed my trials (below 50%) but aced the actual HSC so my assessment mark was pulled up by alot. In fact, i ended up with an e4 band. So my advice is, stick to it. Do as well as you can for now and just study your ass off before by HSC by doing heaps of exam papers. I think i remember my teacher saying that your 3u mark is generated from your 2u mark as well. So if your getting 90% then you should get a good 3u mark. (dont know if theres any truth in that).

m3h_m3h

HSC
definitely stick to it...

i was averaging 30%-40% for 3U in yr12, and my 2U was heaps bad aswell, around 60%-70%. i was in the bottom 10 for 3U in my school, and they asked the bottom 10 to drop to 2U, this was a choice, but they were more or less telling us to drop or they'll gimme a hard time.
being the stubborn prick i am, i decided to stay in 3U just to piss off the maths co-ordinator. it all payed off in the end, with me ending up gettin a band 6 for 2U and E3 for 3U. i got that while still doin sh*t fk all work.
then again i went to a independent school and our internal assessments were fkin hard so that helped lots.

kalinda

HSC
i wasnt doin too well but the horrible thing with maths is that its a constant - u cant just study all the week end before
its 90% pratice and 10% theory
so the best study is doing a basic hour a night it will help improve ur maths skills till questions become an unconcious effort

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)