Drummond and Smith College (1 Viewer)

hazefu

HSC
Hey

Can anyone give me any info about Drummond and Smith College? The good, the bad, rumours, stereotypes etc

Thanks xoxo

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Stereotypes - The study college. The do have a few hot girls though.

Also, their college is pretty much a prison.

They seem nice though.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Rumour: it's getting knocked down and rebuilt. The prison-quadrangle layout is supposedly a fire hazard, so two block are apparently being demolished and rebuilt next year. Then everyone will move over to the new wing and the old stuff will get demolished and rebuilt.

About the only thing they have going for them is the kayaking club which is away doing the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic, but even then they share with Duval.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I heard one of their blocks is so run down that there are holes in the walls big enough that people can put their heads through them!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Wouldn't surprise me. They are Drummond and Smith, after all. Even when they get their brand-new college (assuming the stories are true), they won't be able to wash the stigma off. They'll always be second-best to us at Duval.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
I heard a rumour that they were going to build a college where the old wright college used to be... i.e. across form Austin and next to the Wright centre....Sounds like they are going ahead with the bringing of the faculties together i.e. Sicence and arts and the the rest the professional studies or something.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I was talking to a friend of mine from Austin, a guy I went to school with, and one of the PhD students there the other day and they seemed to think St. Mark's has put in a tender to build a new college that will be entirely alcohol-free, something which they believe would be the college's drawcard. However, right now all the colleges are hard-pressed to fill all their rooms - at Duval we currently have about 170 residents out of 220 maximum - so building an entire college (apart from rebuilding D&S, assuming the stories are true) would be a case of throwing good money after bad. It's possible that if it does go ahead, the proposed college would be in the vein of Wright Village in that it would be relatively small, especially since the results from the survey on alcohol-free colleges came back with only 4% of those who replied saying they would support the idea. I think the whole thing is a waste of time, myself; Duval already has its own alcohol-free area in the games room and I'm pretty sure other colleges do too.

That division of the faculties sounds like it's not being done properly. I don't see why they're putting the Sceinces and Arts together; surely they'd be better off having Arts/Teaching/EBL together for one faculty and Nursing/Sciences in the other? Must have something to do with Teaching, Arts and EBL being the larger faculties ...

dphill

HSC
Drummond is by far the best college at UNE. It won both the Sporting trophies, (both male and female). It doesnt have big holes in the walls that you can stick your head through and our big central courtyard is where we hold all of our functions,which means the whole college can be together, which is better than being separated like all the other colleges. Drummond is not being pulled down its just a rumor that is going for all the colleges not just Drummond. Its a good college and you should think of coming here.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
Yes, the new faculties thing does seem strange might be trying to knock out a lot of admin, become even more centralised...reduce costs etc. I don't know what its like at the colleges these days but it seems that they are packed at the start of each year and then numbers drop off as you would expect. Perhaps they want more room for the new medical students in 2008?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
dphill said:
Drummond is by far the best college at UNE. It won both the Sporting trophies, (both male and female). It doesnt have big holes in the walls that you can stick your head through and our big central courtyard is where we hold all of our functions,which means the whole college can be together, which is better than being separated like all the other colleges. Drummond is not being pulled down its just a rumor that is going for all the colleges not just Drummond. Its a good college and you should think of coming here.
That whole four-wings-around-a-central-courtyard thin makes it look like a prison. All credibility you had is now gone. Don't worry, you're not alone in looking ridiculous; Austin looks like an asylum, Page looks like a school, Robb like some kind of ski lodge and Albies loks like an office plaza, though I've heard it likened to a gulag. Heck, Duval gets likened to Hogwarts; even the VC did it at this year's commencement. But then, we're frickin' AWESOME, so being likened to Hogwarts is not a bad thing.

Just one thing worth noting: if anyone does join Drummond, you instantly become our mortal enemies. Choose wisely.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
Its not what the college looks like, its what the people in the college are like that make the college. Austin is blessed in this regard, primarily optimistic people somewhat different to others in other colleges...Whatever college one joins they will no doubt gain friends from other colleges.

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
That whole four-wings-around-a-central-courtyard thin makes it look like a prison. All credibility you had is now gone. Don't worry, you're not alone in looking ridiculous; Austin looks like an asylum, Page looks like a school, Robb like some kind of ski lodge and Albies loks like an office plaza, though I've heard it likened to a gulag. Heck, Duval gets likened to Hogwarts; even the VC did it at this year's commencement. But then, we're frickin' AWESOME, so being likened to Hogwarts is not a bad thing.

Just one thing worth noting: if anyone does join Drummond, you instantly become our mortal enemies. Choose wisely.
why does Duval get likened to Hogwarts, and Page to a school?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ElendilPeredhil said:
why does Duval get likened to Hogwarts, and Page to a school?
I don't know why Duval is likened to Hogwarts, though our dining hall currently has four long tables running down it ... Page isn't []ilikened[/i] to a school, it looks like a school from the outside, the same way Drummond looks like a prison, Austin looks like a loony bin and Albies an office plaza (or Soviet gulag). I've also heard the description of Durmmond and Duval being "Drummond is North Korea, Duval the South and the servery (shared) is the DMZ" ... I think it goes without saying a politics student gave that analogy.

dphill

HSC
I have just read the postings from everyone regarding Drummond and Smith and I have to say that it is one of the BEST college ever. Just thought I would say that I read these postings from a friend and I decided to let you all know from my persepective, a fourth year Arts/Law student. I have been a resident a Drummond and Smith College now for 4 years of my life, got another year to go and I am extremely happy to say that I will be back here next year. Although Drummond gets the rep of being a prison at least we are one of the most secure colleges at UNE, no one can enter without a college key... Unlike some who are wide open and random people can walk through. The courtyard is definately the best thing at Drummond. We all get to know each other, and are not separated into blocks or even courtyards (like Dooval)...

There are always rumours about us being torn down. Completely false rumours that always come up when Drummond and Smith win all the trophies. Other colleges are jealous of our efforts!! Drummond is an accepting college, with no sterotypes and all kinds of people fit in here. If you do end up choosing UNE, do choose Drummond

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
Yep, it sure was good to see Drummond win SFK this year, oh wait that was Austin.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
dphill said:
I have just read the postings from everyone regarding Drummond and Smith and I have to say that it is one of the BEST college ever. Just thought I would say that I read these postings from a friend and I decided to let you all know from my persepective, a fourth year Arts/Law student. I have been a resident a Drummond and Smith College now for 4 years of my life, got another year to go and I am extremely happy to say that I will be back here next year. Although Drummond gets the rep of being a prison at least we are one of the most secure colleges at UNE, no one can enter without a college key... Unlike some who are wide open and random people can walk through. The courtyard is definately the best thing at Drummond. We all get to know each other, and are not separated into blocks or even courtyards (like Dooval)...

There are always rumours about us being torn down. Completely false rumours that always come up when Drummond and Smith win all the trophies. Other colleges are jealous of our efforts!! Drummond is an accepting college, with no sterotypes and all kinds of people fit in here. If you do end up choosing UNE, do choose Drummond
Hey, Duval is just as secure and we don't look like a prison! And so what if we're separated into blocks and courtyards? We all get to know each other anyway; it's kind of hard not to. I notice you're not tellng everyone about the walk from your rooms to the dining hall; what's that like in the middle of winter?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
At the end of the day, you just have to choose which is best for you. All the colleges are pretty good and of course people are going to stand up for their college.

You probably will have heard this if you went to open day - but you will know which college is good for you. Also, some of the 'better' college's fees are being raised next year, so you should take that into consideration (I know EPC's is being raised from $235.90 to around $250).

Just choose the one which offers YOU the most!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)