Early Entry Assessment Ranks? No way! (1 Viewer)

uman1234

HSC
After doing my early entry interview, I'm confused in that I got conditional entry (Mathematics = 70) instead of guarenteed. But why is that you say?
Well I did a comparision between a few friends each going for an informatics course about 78 UAI (Computer Science), but one with a course needing about 80ish (Nanotech Science/Engineering).

My Subjects are
English Standard: Exam Mark (66/100), Assessment Rank (10/99)
Mathematics: Exam Mark (59/100), Assessment Rank (3/9)
SDD: Exam Mark (71/100), Assessment Rank (2/11)
IPT: Exam Mark (84/100), Assessment Rank (1/4)
Physics: Exam Mark (60/100), Assessment Rank (4/20)

Each of my friends had similar marks,
My first friend had:
8th in English, about 70 exam mark
2/9th in mathematics, 68 in exam
3/11 in SDD, exam 60/100
3/20 in physics, 68/100 exam
Music 1 (not related)

My Second Friend:
English Advanced
SAC
IPT
General Maths
SDD
VET Entertainment

As usual, similar marks (cant be bothered listing), but he doesn't even do mathematics and he got the guarenteed :S

3rd friend does:
Maths and Ext 1
English standard
physics
biology
chemistry

Still similar marks, however I beat him in mathematics, in assessment and exam and he still gets guarenteed, ?_?

With average trial marks similar to each friend but overall high assessment ranks, doesn't count for anything, I thought the UOW looked at your work overall not just the trial mark, it doesn't make any sense Zz

(P.S sorry just a big qq, its very frustrating)

micky131

HSC
the one thing i noticed your explanantion lacked was you and your friends personalities....you may have beat them and that
but when you go for an interview it could come down to how each of you wooed the panel....i meen if your were kind of half arsed and their interview was exceptionally good that can have a major affect on wether or not your guaranteed entry.

you may have got conditional entry on this factor

uman1234

HSC
Without Wings said:
First you haven't stated what course you were going for - obviously you can't draw comparisons between different coures.

Second, you said you beat your friend in mathematics, yet the information you have given shows he/she beat you...

Firstly I did mention the course, Computer Science
Secondly I said I beat my thrid friend in mathematics
Thirdly, the interview went quite well, the interviewer looked at my projects and such, asked questions like why you wanted to do this course, what career etc, he also gave me a little speech on game development and the careers behind it. Was fair decent.

So yeah i guess there is a number of factors, but i guess it was the maths mark for some reason due to conditional 70 in maths

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
uman1234 said:
Firstly I did mention the course, Computer Science
Secondly I said I beat my thrid friend in mathematics
Thirdly, the interview went quite well, the interviewer looked at my projects and such, asked questions like why you wanted to do this course, what career etc, he also gave me a little speech on game development and the careers behind it. Was fair decent.

So yeah i guess there is a number of factors, but i guess it was the maths mark for some reason due to conditional 70 in maths
Without Wings was just trying to help, you did word it EXTREMELY poorly.

uman1234

HSC
Sorry, wasn't trying to be harsh or anything, just saying, but I guess your right on focusing on exams.

Yeah the wording was terrible, but wasn't really thinking about that at the time, rather was thinking about hitting someone with a wooden mallet.

uman1234

HSC
It was a man, but i didn't catch his name. He was at bay 20 on the day.

HSC
just based on marks it could be the fact with the 3rd friend that he was doing ext 1 maths and with the first friend even though you were only one place behind him you were nearly 10 marks and it is only in mathematics that you got 59 not ext 1 or ext 2

that is my 2 cents just based on looking at marks not having a go just trying to give you a slightly viable reason so you don't feel so "cheated"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)