Econometrics vs Statistics (1 Viewer)

Fermat

HSC
N/A
As far as first year goes, these two subjects are extremely alike. But how much do they differ in the later years?

I'm finding stat and econometrics both interesting and easy (yes, I know first year is meant to be a piece of cake). And I am planning on majoring in either stat or ecmt.

Which would be more suited for a in the finance sector? Keeping in mind that I don't want to restrict my options too greatly into which area of finance.

The reason I ask this is because Steve Keen criticized econometrics in his book calling it watered-down statistics or something along those lines.

Opinions?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I agree that econometrics is watered down statistics. In statistics you actually establish where all your models come from, rather than just rote learning them. It also has much more mathematical rigour than econometrics.
Perhaps one good thing about econometrics in terms of working in finance sector is that the course is specifically aligned to business and finance contexts whereas statistics extends to a broader range of scientific contexts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)