Economic and Social Sciences (1 Viewer)

KarmaKitten

HSC
if i major in political economy and also take government and international relations

how many arts subjects can i take?

i want to do a variety of hist courses but am confused with the handbook

bustinjustin

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
if i major in political economy and also take government and international relations

how many arts subjects can i take?

i want to do a variety of hist courses but am confused with the handbook

I'm currently doing the exact same thing. The number of Arts subjects is limited not so much by the number of Political Economy and Government Units you do, but rather the Economics Faculty imposed limit - in the B. Eco. Soc. Sci., you can only do 60 Credit points, or 10 subjects/units that are from outside the Economics/Business Faculty. This would be just enough for an Arts major (usually 8 units altogether) and 2 electives.

However, if you plan on majoring in Political Economy as well as Government, in most cases this would limit the number of Arts Units you can do to about 6- 8. It really depends on how you plan your degree. If you wanted to maximise the number of Arts Units you can do, you could do two junior GOVT units in your first year, first semester, which would let you start senior units straight away in the next semester, meaning you'd get that 'Minor' done straight away.

All in all, the simple answer to your question is a maximum of 10 arts units.

KarmaKitten

HSC
bustinjustin said:
I'm currently doing the exact same thing. The number of Arts subjects is limited not so much by the number of Political Economy and Government Units you do, but rather the Economics Faculty imposed limit - in the B. Eco. Soc. Sci., you can only do 60 Credit points, or 10 subjects/units that are from outside the Economics/Business Faculty. This would be just enough for an Arts major (usually 8 units altogether) and 2 electives.

However, if you plan on majoring in Political Economy as well as Government, in most cases this would limit the number of Arts Units you can do to about 6- 8. It really depends on how you plan your degree. If you wanted to maximise the number of Arts Units you can do, you could do two junior GOVT units in your first year, first semester, which would let you start senior units straight away in the next semester, meaning you'd get that 'Minor' done straight away.

thanks so much, that really helps. i do want to maximise the arts units as i love some of the subjects offered there.
so if i do the govt in the first semester...thats it? for the year or for the degree?
cause thats really cool. ill definately do that. do you do any arts units?
by the way, whats political eco and govt like, they sound great.

bustinjustin

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
so if i do the govt in the first semester...thats it? for the year or for the degree?
cause thats really cool. ill definately do that. do you do any arts units?
by the way, whats political eco and govt like, they sound great.
Yep, that's it for GOVT for 'First' year, because to do senior units you need to have done two junior units first. But because GOVT usually offers more than one junior unit each semester, it's possible to get your junior prereqs out of the way from the onset and get started on senior units. Unfortunately most junior GOVT units are lame - for instance, like most of the continent, Australian Politics is too dry for many, and from what Ive heard, Geopolitics is similarly tedious. Can't say much for the senior units, but it's safe to say the same for them going by some of the posts here, but there's a wider range of senior units and as a whole, they sound a lot more engaging.

Political Economy (or ECOP) is generally stimulating, more so if you're idealistic and inquisitive about the world's socio-economic problems, and how to solve them (unorthodox) ECOP style. ECOP1001 with Frank Stilwell is many a first year's (or any uni student's) dream. Even though it's surprisingly not my best subject, I'll most probably major in Political Economy and am contemplating doing honours in it.

Last Semester I'm did one Arts Unit, French, and this semester I'm doing two - philopsophy and Asian Studies, which leaves me with space for another 7 non-Eco/Bus. units. French was initially going to be my Arts major
but I've dropped it because I wasn't/couldn't be bothered to do any work for it (and I struggled in the Intermediate stream).

Best tip is to look at which Departments require you to have done specific junior units and which ones don't - most do but some are flexible, namely Asian Studies and Geography, which lets you mae substitutions

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
bustinjustin said:
Political Economy (or ECOP) is generally stimulating, more so if you're idealistic and inquisitive about the world's socio-economic problems, and how to solve them (unorthodox) ECOP style. ECOP1001 with Frank Stilwell is many a first year's (or any uni student's) dream. Even though it's surprisingly not my best subject, I'll most probably major in Political Economy and am contemplating doing honours in it.

At least do the 2nd year ECOP honours subject. Awesome subject. 3rd year has scared many people off.

HSC
Hi everyone, sorry for another transferring question but I am thinking of trying to transfer to Economics and Social Sciences next year. My UAI from 2005 was 90.3 (so 2.15 under the cut off for this year, 92.45) and I'm obviously not sure about my average for uni marks yet. I haven't been doing very well this semester due to various things- lack of motivation (laziness!), some personal circumstances and how much I really dislike two of my compulsory subjects.

I am predicting two passes (or one pass and one credit), one credit and one fail..statistics :( but I'm optimistic about next semester (no core units or stats, and subjects I'm really looking forward to which will hopefully be quite okay in terms of the workload), and should be able to get a credit average if I work my arse off (can you build up a credit average with one semester of good work?)

Anyway, I'm going to talk to the faculty this week about if it would be a good idea to try to transfer to this degree, especially since I'm rubbish at maths (I'm finding stats difficult and didn't do maths for the HSC). Ideally I'd like to major in Govt and International Relations, do the 12 cp of Political Economy and then major in Linguistics from the Arts faculty (I will have already completed the 12 junior cp so would go into second year linguistics). Linguistics is what (I think) I actually want to continue on with after uni, and even though I can major in it for the degree I'm doing right now, the core units are slowly killing me, especially stats.

Any advice??

stazi

Nightman
HSC
if you fail, you won't be able to transfer. it contributes 0 to your total GPA, which obviously pwns you. hard

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
youll probably need a high credit average for you to be competitive in gaining a spot in the economics and social sciences next year...however, like what stazi said, dont fail a subject, or else the chance of transferring diminishes....is there a chance you could maybe pull off a pass for stats?

so looking from your post, youre predicting 2 p's 1c and a f, which equates to a gpa of 13/4=3.25, and predicting a credit average next semester, so youre rough overall gpa for the year would be 5+3.25/2=4.125 which is barely a pass, and i doubt youll get a spot from that gpa.

anyways just do the best you can and gl

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yep, you would need about a credit average. you can still aim to get higher marks this semester. there's enough time left. i'm guessing you haven't completed more than 30% worth of marks for each of your subjects.

blahmeh

HSC
oy stazi, after this degree

wat r u planning on doing? working, studying further just interested.

:D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well i transferred to commerce (liberal studies). if i were to have continued it, I would have done a year of honours in Marketing, then started working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)