Economics at Uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,

I'm in year 10, recently I've got back my subject lines for year 11 2009. There were not enough students to make a class but I still really want to do it. I decided to do distance ed economics.
But my careers advisor has told me it's not a good thing to do distance ed and has strongly advised me to do something else on the lines. He said it wasn't that important if you wanted to do economics in Uni and many people don't go well in it to get a good Uai.

Just wondering if anyone has got a great UAI still doing distance ed courses and if anybody knows if doing economics in yr 11 & 12 helps in giving you a head start in the economics courses at Uni. thanks, much appreciated.

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't know a thing about distance-ed but I do know this:

No matter what any lecturer tells you, and no matter what the "prerequisites" have to say about Economics courses - HSC Economics forms a HUGE foundation of the first-year economics courses you will do (know that this is for certain in USYD and UNSW). That being said it is very possible to go just as well in these courses not having done economics but it is MUCH more difficult.

From what I've heard later year subjects are much more abstract and far divorced from HSC Economics but I can't substantiate it.

blah88

HSC
tichondrius said:
HSC Economics forms a HUGE foundation of the first-year economics courses you will do.
i agree. i didnt do eco in yr12 but my friend did. hes owning it without studying much.

i quote "ha ha i did this in yr 12"

tau281290

HSC
I reckon it would be silly to not do Economics in the HSC when you decide to do Economics in uni. You then have to do something unrelated to uni in the HSC e.g. doing chemistry instead of econ. Chemistry will most likely end up being totally useless in contribution to your understanding of ur uni degree.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
hhmm flawed. not everyone is capable of making that decision at the age of 15, 16 or whatever age you are when you choose your subjects for the senior years. i think i just turned 15 when they asked us.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
elliottjohnson said:
Hey,

I'm in year 10, recently I've got back my subject lines for year 11 2009. There were not enough students to make a class but I still really want to do it. I decided to do distance ed economics.
But my careers advisor has told me it's not a good thing to do distance ed and has strongly advised me to do something else on the lines. He said it wasn't that important if you wanted to do economics in Uni and many people don't go well in it to get a good Uai.

Just wondering if anyone has got a great UAI still doing distance ed courses and if anybody knows if doing economics in yr 11 & 12 helps in giving you a head start in the economics courses at Uni. thanks, much appreciated.
I failed commerce in year 9 (and I dropped it and took up Tech Drawing) and I never did Economics in high school but I ended up doing well for Economics in uni...partly 'cause I'm smart and I'm awesome...but more importantly 'cause I worked hard.

tau281290 said:
I reckon it would be silly to not do Economics in the HSC when you decide to do Economics in uni. You then have to do something unrelated to uni in the HSC e.g. doing chemistry instead of econ. Chemistry will most likely end up being totally useless in contribution to your understanding of ur uni degree.
I can't say this for the HSC, but for most part, what you're learning at university you're not going to actually apply most of them in the workforce. It's just the problem solving skills you develop during university and all the other skills developed in other activities you take that are used in the workforce. My point is, saying what you said is quite .. well ... for lack of a better word ... lame. FYI I did physics, chem, english and maths for my HSC, and I ended up having to do accounting and economics in first year uni...yet I still owned it. =D Well...anyway, most of the subjects at uni (aside from highly technical subjects like engineering which required phys+chem) don't have assumed knowledge. Having said that, I have a friend who's doing mechanical engineering at uni, in 3rd year university, and that person did not do either phys or chem in HSC.

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Studying econ in high school makes first year econ subjects much much MUCH easier.

much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)