Economics/Commerce Dual degree (1 Viewer)

teejd

HSC
Anyone have experience with doing this?
Not sure what I really want to do, mainly envisioning becoming an economist, but would like more options where i think adding a broader commerce (finance) degree may help and even work with the econ degree?

I read a thread where someone was putting this down, main concern i guess is doing the econ degree, and maybe not going so well and then i'd have less options compared to graduating with a commerce degree also. IDK just looking for people with anecdotal experience doing this dual.

PS at UQ.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Don't just do BEcon. No one will pay any attention to you if you only have a BEcon. Either combine it with something else (Commerce, or even Arts, Science etc) or do Honours + Masters. I'm doing both, mostly because it's now not worth my dropping BComm from my course, despite the fact I hate it.

Fermat

HSC
N/A
Don't just do BEcon. No one will pay any attention to you if you only have a BEcon. Either combine it with something else (Commerce, or even Arts, Science etc) or do Honours + Masters. I'm doing both, mostly because it's now not worth my dropping BComm from my course, despite the fact I hate it.
BEc and Bcom are pretty much identical. Unless you're doing actuarial studies I don't think you would get any more attention.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
BEc and Bcom are pretty much identical. Unless you're doing actuarial studies I don't think you would get any more attention.
lol i asked moll. this a few months ago, they're not the same

Fermat

HSC
N/A
lol i asked moll. this a few months ago, they're not the same
Not the same but very similar. The only main difference is you need to major in at least one of eco, fin eco or ecmt if you do the BEc.

EDIT: To directly answer the OP, it really depends on what you want to do. You say you would want to major in finance as well as economics but you can double major in eco and fin in both the Eco and Com single degree.

Last edited:

teejd

HSC
No you can't.
Bachelors of Commerce/Economics - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia

I'd probably want to do finance major from commerce, and what would be the best major from the four econ majors? Assuming i want to be an economist at one of the big4 or rba.

Would be looking to do hons in econ if i did either dual or straight. Other option is to do Single commerce degree, Finance/Accounting dual major?

I just want a decent job with moolah. Wouldn't really want to be an accountant though. Career path information on decent jobs in finance?

teejd

HSC
retard alert, i said UQ in OP
whilst this is mainly is a nsw dominated forum, theres still good info on education and career paths. This particular forum (tertiary > General > commerce/business) also isn't just for nsw students.
if you're not being sarcastic, sorry lol all G

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Regardless of whether he goes to UQ, UNSW, ANU or UWS (they're the only ones I know who do combined Comm/Econ), the course material is going to be pretty much exactly the same. Hence I stand by my original statement that BEcon on it's own is pathetic and within five years of graduating your theoretical knowledge will be either outdated or insufficient for promotion.

Fermat

HSC
N/A
Regardless of whether he goes to UQ, UNSW, ANU or UWS (they're the only ones I know who do combined Comm/Econ), the course material is going to be pretty much exactly the same. Hence I stand by my original statement that BEcon on it's own is pathetic and within five years of graduating your theoretical knowledge will be either outdated or insufficient for promotion.
In the BEcon you can double major in pretty much all comm majors anyway. eg. BEcon(fin,eco) and BComm(Eco,fin) If you're going to double major in economics then it really doesn't matter if you do BEcon or Bcomm. And besides, your uni degree is mostly signalling anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)