Economics help plz? (1 Viewer)

lolman69

HSC
Hi guys

i have this assessment coming up for eco in which we have to respond to an extended response question.
the notification says "You will be required to write an extended response to an unseen question.
to prepare for this task it is strongly suggested that the following be researched:
-factors that influence the demand and supply for labour
-labour market trends
-labour market institutions
you will have 60mins

I am quite bad at writng extended responses and so i would like to ask what is the general structure of an economics extended response and how much should u be writing in 60mins?

Thank you in adavance, any help is appreciated.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Hi guys

i have this assessment coming up for eco in which we have to respond to an extended response question.
the notification says "You will be required to write an extended response to an unseen question.
to prepare for this task it is strongly suggested that the following be researched:
-factors that influence the demand and supply for labour
-labour market trends
-labour market institutions
you will have 60mins

I am quite bad at writng extended responses and so i would like to ask what is the general structure of an economics extended response and how much should u be writing in 60mins?

Thank you in adavance, any help is appreciated.
60 mins is almost 2 economics essays, so you should be aiming to write ~1500+ words. But remember, quality over quantity (even though quantity + quality is better).

The basic structure should be:

1. Introduction.
2. Body.
3. Conclusion.

Introduction: This is a brief overview of what your essay is attempting to cover.

It should indicate the general direction of the argument that follows. Introduction are often used to define key terms from the statement / question.

You can present facts or statistics to support your approach; you can divide your question into topics areas and indicate the ones you will emphasis; or present a quotation. It is important to be BRIEF and to the POINT.

Avoid:
1.writing general information that contains no relevance to the question.
2.repeating what is essentially the essay question
3.apologising for deficiencies in the material to follow
4.making promises that your essay will not fulfil.

Body: For each main point of your plan you should write a paragraph. Have a topic sentence with supporting sentences / reasons /evidenceand so on. Each paragraph should be rounded off (or come to some conclusion).

This can then be used often to provide some link idea which leads on to the following paragraph ie. a logical progression of ideas through the “theme” of the essay.

Do not have long, complicated sentences joined with such common connectives as –and ….but……yet……or…….so…… also………therefore……

Build up a set of words eg. above all, likewise, consequently,rather, however, first, second, not only, on the contrary, while, finally, to sum up etc etc.

Conclusion:

1.Should strengthen the opening point
2.end on a strong but reasoned note (well rounded off sentence)
3.discuss briefly any minor issues not dealt with earlier –may summarise several important points.
4.it should NOT be merely a restatement of your introduction.

Lastly:

Pace yourself so that there is time to proof read your essay.

Time spent re-reading your work both as you write , and when you have finished, is well worthwhile.

It is best to check your finished essay for specific mistakes. If time permits, try the following approach:

1.read through looking only for spelling and punctuation.
2.read through making sure that what you’ve written makes sense, any words left out, incomplete sentences, incorrect / inaccurate expressions?
3.have you time to improve your choice of words?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
It's just the same general structure of most essays (what ind said). Nothing special.

If you want to be more sophisticated try integrate as much as possible.

HSC
here are some tips for your essay, I might make a sample essay plan later

· Make your essay is divided into an introduction, body and conclusion (can't stress this enough).
· Include diagrams or graphs WHERE RELEVANT (and explain why it has been provided and what it is showing)
· Ensure all parts of the question are covered
· Make extensive use of statistics and other forms of evidence to support generalisation
· Make sure you have specific examples and detail
· The development of your argument should be logical and sequential
· Don’t forget to refer to any stimulus provided
· Each paragraph must have a linking sentence which informs the reader what relationship this paragraph has to the previous or next, make sure it is clear which part of the question is being addressed

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
here are some tips for your essay, I might make a sample essay plan later

• Make your essay is divided into an introduction, body and conclusion (can't stress this enough).
Include diagrams or graphs WHERE RELEVANT
Ensure all parts of the question are covered
• Make extensive use of statistics and other forms of evidence to support generalisation
• Make sure you have specific examples and detail
• The development of your argument should be logical and sequential
Don’t forget to refer to any stimulus provided

Very important, although I disagree with extensively using statistics all the time, since preliminary essays can be entirely theoretical e.g. elasticity of demand, the notion of market equilibrium, the circular flow of income, the business cycle, a firm's production decisions etc.

HSC
[/B]
Very important, although I disagree with extensively using statistics all the time, since preliminary essays can be entirely theoretical e.g. elasticity of demand, the notion of market equilibrium, the circular flow of income, the business cycle, a firm's production decisions etc.
Depends on the question though, if you have been asked to write about the role of the government in the economy, specific examples from the federal budget (fiscal policy) and any recent interest rates changes (monetary) is a must. But yeah, it is not always needed.

lolman69

HSC
thanks heaps guys
jus wanted to ask how do u rep sum1?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
thanks heaps guys
jus wanted to ask how do u rep sum1?
The button/shape on the left hand side below where it says "rep power".

Kinda looks like a star, but has 12 sides instead.

Click on it. Then click Approve or Disapprove.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)