Economics in HSC & Uni (1 Viewer)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Would doing economics for the HSC give you an advantage if you want to study it in uni?

spence

HSC
Basically, it'll help with your intro economics subject. At UTS, this basically covers the important parts of the preliminary & HSC courses and goes a bit more in depth. We do this in 11 lectures, so it's pretty fast paced for those who have never done eco before, but quite a few are still managing alright

lilijub

HSC
hmm well my economics teacher told us that if we decided to do it at uni then the first year at uni would basically just cover what you did for the HSC and he said we should be able to get credits without turning up to half the lectures. but he hass high expectations of us...

michael1990

HSC
lilijub said:
hmm well my economics teacher told us that if we decided to do it at uni then the first year at uni would basically just cover what you did for the HSC and he said we should be able to get credits without turning up to half the lectures. but he hass high expectations of us...
Yeah i wouldn't just go on that sort of information.

I heard that if you did study economics in the HSC. You may have a slight advantage over the students who didn't as if you have 'an economic head' you will be able to understand the concepts a little better.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
michael1990 said:
Yeah i wouldn't just go on that sort of information.

I heard that if you did study economics in the HSC. You may have a slight advantage over the students who didn't as if you have 'an economic head' you will be able to understand the concepts a little better.
i'd say more than just a little.
I have a university economics textbook and a lot of the stuff in there is just prelim + HSC stuff.

michael1990

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
i'd say more than just a little.
I have a university economics textbook and a lot of the stuff in there is just prelim + HSC stuff.
Oh well there you go.

I just suppose it would be benifcial to do Economics in the HSC if you're wanting to do it at UNI.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
michael1990 said:
Oh well there you go.

I just suppose it would be benifcial to do Economics in the HSC if you're wanting to do it at UNI.
yeah, it's the best HSC subject anyway :D.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I've done both micro and macro 1 at UNSW. I did eco for the hsc and whilst I did have a small advantage for macro, it goes into way more depth. You're teacher is an idiot for saying that.

The textbook just had hsc stuff? Did you consider that not all uni's use the same textbook?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i heard that hsc economics covers your arse for the first 2 weeks of micro and macro, but after that your on a level playing field again.

aileenli

HSC
^ yeah thats pretty much true - after two weeks of lectures, they had up graphs that i'd never seen before.

michael1990

HSC
aileenli said:
^ yeah thats pretty much true - after two weeks of lectures, they had up graphs that i'd never seen before.
Yeah, but you would have a little more of an advantaged due to us having a 'economic head'.

michael1990

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
could you please share they notes you get sent..
I agree.
Would be awesome.

I would be willing to give you what we get in class.

michael1990

HSC
lou071 said:
wow.. going through important parts of premlinary and hsc course in 11 lectures!!
it is going really fast.
i am interested in doing commerce at uni, but i am wondering if i do commerce
and if i don't do the eco in hsc do you think i will be disadvantaged at uni?
Depends what you major in.

I mean if you major in Economics you may find it a little more difficult than those that undertook Economics in the HSC.

HSC
michael1990 said:
Depends what you major in.

I mean if you major in Economics you may find it a little more difficult than those that undertook Economics in the HSC.
it doesn't make a diff for the eco major since u major 2nd yr, makes a diff for the first or second eco subs you do. If you decide to do an eco major- you'd have got through the first few eco subs anyway by which point in time the hsc knowledge will be pointless since if you get through first few eco subs you've already covered the hsc syllabus.

I don't see why the op wouldn't do eco during hs if you are considering a bus type background at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)