Economics/Law Prerequisites (1 Viewer)

wheel

HSC
Hi,

I'm planning to study eco law next year at USYD.

I'm not doing legal studies for my HSC (regretfully)

My subjects are:

Advanced English
MX1
MX2
Economics
Physics

I really wished I did legal instead of Physics.

Would I be disadvantaged at all without it? Should I do some legal studies preparation before uni begins?

thanks heaps,

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Legal Studies is nothing like law and apparently gives people no advantage when they go into law. Ive head a few people in law who say they would have been better off without legal studies.

Looking at your subjects though, 4 unit maths and physics would put you in a good position to do an Engineering/Economics degree?

HSC
N/A
Flashy is right, you don't need to do any prereqs.

I did law at usyd (but as a grad) and did mostly scienc/maths subjects for HSC because it's what I liked and therefore, what I was able to do better at. If you want to do law at usyd, the biggest issue is your ATAR, so you should just do whatever subjects you are best at. If they're subjects that scale well (which the ones you've listed are) then you're setting yourself up really well.

So honestly, to make it completely clear, you will not be disadvantaged at all (in terms of assumed knowledge...because there is none) by not doing legal studies (or any other subject for that matter).

Good luck!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Legal Studies is nothing like law and apparently gives people no advantage when they go into law. Ive head a few people in law who say they would have been better off without legal studies.

Looking at your subjects though, 4 unit maths and physics would put you in a good position to do an Engineering/Economics degree?
4 unit maths is overkill for the Economics component, but having that mathematical background is more than enough prep for that side of the degree. For engineering, absolutely.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Flashy is right, you don't need to do any prereqs.

I did law at usyd (but as a grad) and did mostly scienc/maths subjects for HSC because it's what I liked and therefore, what I was able to do better at. If you want to do law at usyd, the biggest issue is your ATAR, so you should just do whatever subjects you are best at. If they're subjects that scale well (which the ones you've listed are) then you're setting yourself up really well.

So honestly, to make it completely clear, you will not be disadvantaged at all (in terms of assumed knowledge...because there is none) by not doing legal studies (or any other subject for that matter).

Good luck!
+1. Those subjects are really high scaling which will be great in boosting your ATAR. So don't have any regrets about not choosing legal, I didn't do legal and law is fine! In fact, in first year uni, you'll do an introductory course which essentially outlines the general principles of law - some of which is covered in legal, but not all. So you're at absolutely no disadvantage :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
4 unit maths is overkill for the Economics component, but having that mathematical background is more than enough prep for that side of the degree. For engineering, absolutely.
I found that it actually helps. Stuff like integration by parts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)