Economics - Maths and Essays (1 Viewer)

withyou

HSC
N/A
Hello all

Just wondering how hard is the maths in economics,
and also the type of essays and such involved?

thank you!

Simo91

HSC
I'd also like to know about this. Is a bridging course needed if you didn't do 2u maths or higher? Or can you scrape by without it?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
First year economics is piss
Second year economics uses calculus

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
you should really check with the uni you intend to apply with. on a first year basis, you may be required to have that knowledge expected from a band 5 2u advanced maths student.

e.g. In UNSW (Currently) first years are expected to do calculus exceeding the requirements of hsc level for a extension 1 maths student (i.e. partial derivatives). QMA and QMB, you will have students who fail, because it can be that hard. People normally don't go in with no knowledge of 2u Advanced maths or above.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
It's ridiculously easy down here at UOW, first yr = practically no maths, bar the simple use of algebra.

Even 2nd yr- the applications for calculus are there, but the two major subjects micro/macro don't delve heavily, there is a "economics maths" subject at 2nd year that brings everyone up to speed with most of say the 3u course and beyond in some areas (differentiation).

Note to, none of the "core" subjects so far have any essay components as assessments, it is quite different to HSC. In the final exam you may be asked to write short/long responses, but yea. The 3rd yr eco history/policy do have essays I believe.

It gets more mathematical at 3rd year: (electives though)

- Mathematical economics (heading to 4u +)
- Financial Modelling and then to Advanced Econometrics (quite difficult for most ppl)
- Industrial economics/Advanced Micro/Cost Benefit Analysis (these are known to be difficult with ltos of maths)

Thats all I know

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, if you actually want to be an "Economist" or go onto higher levels of research or postgrad (say masters at ANU, PhD), undergrad commerce degrees don't give the correct the preparation as you waste a lot of time doing management/marketing/accounting/BIS etc etc

I'd prob look at doing a combined maths and economics degree, the preparation would be gold for any postgrad work. Commerce can delude you that your doing real economics or that further research isn't maths based, but unless your researching something along the lines of economic history/political theory, you can almost guarantee it is going to be heavy on the maths or at least econometrics. It is an empirical discipline (for the most part).

So at the least take a BEc and pack full with math electives/econometrics + do honours in a quantitative area.

Or take a degree like this: (this is UOW, I'm sure most unis have the equivalent)

BMathFin (Mathematical Economics)

Bachelor of Mathematics and Finance - 2010 Course Handbook @ UOW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)