Economics scaling? (1 Viewer)

munchiecrunchie

HSC
According to my maths teacher, the way they scale subjects also depends on what other subjects the candidature do and how well they do in these subjects

If you've noticed, most people here who do Eco also do Phys and Chem, which is probably one reason why Eco scales pretty well

Eco's definitely not the hardest thing around.

michael1990

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:
According to my maths teacher, the way they scale subjects also depends on what other subjects the candidature do and how well they do in these subjects

If you've noticed, most people here who do Eco also do Phys and Chem, which is probably one reason why Eco scales pretty well

Nah i don't think that...

Most people who do Humanities don't do Science/Maths based subjects.
We both are now generalising though.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:

This is true. That is why you hear that subjects don't have a set scaling, they're redone every year through this method. This is how the 'difficulty' of a subject is determined.

cs01001 said:
True, need to integrate information from different sources especially for extended response. A solid underestanding of textbook is also needed.
QFT. You're not going to write 4 good booklets (with relevant info) if all you've read is the trusty leading edge textbook.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
michael1990 said:
Nah i don't think that...

Most people who do Humanities don't do Science/Maths based subjects.
We both are now generalising though.
Yeah, at my school most eco kids dont do phys and chem. But she's right in a sense that the reason economics scales well is because the students who take it, generally, are much more capable academically as opposed to students who take, say, Construction.
The same applies to chem and phys.
And 4u maths
And 4u english
And history ext.
etc.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
This is true. That is why you hear that subjects don't have a set scaling, they're redone every year through this method. This is how the 'difficulty' of a subject is determined.
Yes.

munchiecrunchie said:
Not also depends, only (solely) depends.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
^^
I guess that's that then. thread solved.

EDIT: so to clarify it all, economics, as far as i know, has always scaled well. However, as i think someone has already said, scaling is not linear. The subject may scale well in a set range of marks but badly in others. cool..

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
HSIE subjects don't scale as that well, although Economics is the best scaling HSIE subject.

I thought scaling went in this order
4U math > 3U math > 3U English > 4U English > Chemistry > Physics > Economics > Biology ...

cs01001

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:

QFT. You're not going to write 4 good booklets (with relevant info) if all you've read is the trusty leading edge textbook.
4 good booklets? The best, best & best I can do for 1 extended response in any subject is just 5 pages of the normal yellow BOS booklet. (They aren't mega writing btw) :uhoh:

What is with people writing 12,13 pages?

Our trusty leading edge book nevertheless lays a good foundation. Tim Riley for the more sophisticated language/concepts.

williamc

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
i wrote something like 30 pages combined for both essays, with only reading the leading edge textbook. (4 full booklets)

im pretty sure a 94 (or 93?) means i wrote 'relevant' information.

imo, if you understand the concepts outlined in the leading edge textbook, you will be able to expand on those concepts in more depth in the exam, using your own knowledge.

edit: sorry my textbook was the one written by Tim Riley.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
foram said:
HSIE subjects don't scale as that well, although Economics is the best scaling HSIE subject.

I thought scaling went in this order
4U math > 3U math > 3U English > 4U English > Chemistry > Physics > Economics > Biology ...
scaling is not linear, in the higher 90 in phhysics, it scales higher than chem.

cs01001 said:
4 good booklets? The best, best & best I can do for 1 extended response in any subject is just 5 pages of the normal yellow BOS booklet. (They aren't mega writing btw) :uhoh:

What is with people writing 12,13 pages?

Our trusty leading edge book nevertheless lays a good foundation. Tim Riley for the more sophisticated language/concepts.
yeah, right now I can write quite lengthy essays but atm i wouldn't be able to do it in an hour..

williamc said:
i wrote something like 30 pages combined for both essays, with only reading the leading edge textbook. (4 full booklets)

im pretty sure a 94 (or 93?) means i wrote 'relevant' information.

imo, if you understand the concepts outlined in the leading edge textbook, you will be able to expand on those concepts in more depth in the exam, using your own knowledge.

edit: sorry my textbook was the one written by Tim Riley.
well i'm not sure about the tim riley text book, but the leading edge book doesn't include a lot of current information. (especially since we're using the 2005 book or something like that.) So I'm going to have to read widely.

williamc

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
scaling is not linear, in the higher 90 in phhysics, it scales higher than chem..
You mean scaling is not of an arthmetic progression. In other words, it changes according to the marks, and doesn't go up in equal progression.

BackCountrySnow said:
well i'm not sure about the tim riley text book, but the leading edge book doesn't include a lot of current information. (especially since we're using the 2005 book or something like that.) So I'm going to have to read widely.
If your textbook is from 2005, you should probably go and buy a new updated one.

abcdeg

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:

i agree with the others, ive found that alot of people that do economics do more humanities subjects. I, myself, do no sciences and general maths :p

BackCountrySnow

HSC
williamc said:
If your textbook is from 2005, you should probably go and buy a new updated one.
How's the Tim Riley one??

abcdeg said:
i agree with the others, ive found that alot of people that do economics do more humanities subjects. I, myself, do no sciences and general maths :p
Most eco students at my school do business and legal aswell.
I don't though... coz im too awesome

me121

Premium Member
HSC
williamc said:
You mean scaling is not of an arthmetic progression. In other words, it changes according to the marks, and doesn't go up in equal progression.
Its a lot simpler to think of it how BackCountrySnow said. If you were to graph raw marks vs. scaled marks, the graph would not be linear, it would go all over the place. In fact I don't even think the curve must be continuous(though not 100% sure).

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
How's the Tim Riley one??
Tim Riley is okay. It is much better than cambridge (which we used for prelim) but sometimes goes overboard with statistics. I guess it gives you the choice, if you want to learn them, but it can be annoying to read when every 5th or so word is number.

There are also a few sections that kind of miss the point, like for issues of the CAD - terms of trade, it just explained what the terms of trade was but didnt relate it to the CAD. But maybe all books do it like that, im not sure.

cs01001

HSC

The one on the left is Tim Riley. I am currently using that to study for Half Yearlies.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
cs01001 said:
The one on the left is Tim Riley. I am currently using that to study for Half Yearlies.
How do the two compare??
do you prefer the tim riley text book?

EDIT: cs01001 pm me, soz for hittin this thread off topic guys...

and thanks for the link without wings =]

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
To :Backcountrysnow: I have posted my comments on the two books in the thread Without Wings linked to. :)

michael1990

HSC
devilman911 said:
Economics is the highest scaled subject for social science.
Then it would be Legal Studies.

But we are talking about Economics against all areas of study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)