Ecop 2012 (1 Viewer)

sirius_g

HSC
Hey

Has anyone here done ECOP 2012 before? I just want to know if the course is going to get any better or if you found the subject worth doing for some reason? Right at the moment I've dropped the subject cos I couldn't stand falling asleep during the lectures, but now I have a five day (instead of three day) week which means I spending 5 hours travelling every day to Uni.

cheers

sirius

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I've found it, ease wise, a hell of a lot better than last semesters ECOP, mostly because of the lack of terminology and algebra - I couldn't stand that last semester.

I will say that, from an academic perspective, it isn't very helpful at the moment. The lecturing style is pretty biased, one sided and lacking the academic analysis which features in Frank/Joseph's lecturing.

I will keep it (because I need the CP for my degree) but I may cease to attend lectures as he never deviates much from the slides anyway...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Yeah, Damien is awesome. I like his lecture style with the powerpoint as the base and then elaborating verbally. But yeah, pretty biased i agree.

Trivia: The anarchist guy from nerds fc is in my tute.

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
ujuphleg said:
I've found it, ease wise, a hell of a lot better than last semesters ECOP, mostly because of the lack of terminology and algebra - I couldn't stand that last semester.

I will say that, from an academic perspective, it isn't very helpful at the moment. The lecturing style is pretty biased, one sided and lacking the academic analysis which features in Frank/Joseph's lecturing.

I will keep it (because I need the CP for my degree) but I may cease to attend lectures as he never deviates much from the slides anyway...
First of all, I don't think Damien would deny it is 'biased' or value ridden. He doesn't pretend to be positivist and have objectivity. The course isn't meant to be pluralist and look at a wide variety of views, but is meant to use the example of SSA to assist in explaining the social underpinnings of capitalism. I think you have missed the point of the course if you haven't realised this.

I'm not sure what Damien is teaching in the first half of the course (as last year the course was team teached with Evan Jones). I do know that he has kept the whole SSA framework as the basis of the course. However, I don't know how you can say he wouldn't atleast be slightly critical of it, as Damien (or anyone else in the disciple) doesn't adhere to SSA or any regulation school relatives.

First of all, you can't go comparing everyone to Frank or Joseph. They are both outstanding teachers and academics. Frank is highly regarded academic in Australia and Jo is probably one of the most internationally recognised academics at Usyd. You should take it as a prilege having them taught. That said, I think Damien is very analytical. Oh and the man will drink :D

Nothing wrong with anarchists. Most people would probably say my ideas were anarchist, but then the term 'anarchism' is so loose that it can refer to anything from a market economy and capitalist society without a government, to a participatory anti-heirarchical post-capitalist primitivist society.

HSC
Does Frank take any second semester subjects, or does he only do ECOP1001?

*is Frank's stalker*

bustinjustin

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Does Frank take any second semester subjects, or does he only do ECOP1001?

*is Frank's stalker*
Only ECOP1001, after that he only teaches an ECOP6xxx unit, and supervises phd students, but don't quote me on that.

Gabrielle Meagher has improved slightly from her horendous 'let's-be-civil-towards-each-other' introduction, but I don't know if I'll completely warm to her iby the end of the semester.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
bustinjustin said:
Only ECOP1001, after that he only teaches an ECOP6xxx unit, and supervises phd students, but don't quote me on that.

Gabrielle Meagher has improved slightly from her horendous 'let's-be-civil-towards-each-other' introduction, but I don't know if I'll completely warm to her iby the end of the semester.
Haha, I disliked Gabrielle Meagher immensely. I found that she treated the class like 2 year olds and each lecture was a competition for "Can I get more slides on the projector than I did the last time?"

With Frank, he isn't teaching anything this semester

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
Frank doesn't take any other undergrad units at the moment.
Last year he took the 2nd semester 2nd year prehonours course, but with the move to 6cp standardisation of units that was scrapped. He also has in the past taught 3000 level unit (the Political Economy of Cities and Regions).
Frank is doing research this semester. I don't even think he is around at the moment.

Gabrielle expects a lot and seems scary, but she means well. She takes my prehonours class this semester. A little intense (like 9000 words of assessment, essay due in first week). And she really doesn't like you coming late to class. But she is very intelligent and knows her stuff.

bustinjustin

HSC
melbournian said:
Gabrielle expects a lot and seems scary ... And she really doesn't like you coming late to class. But she is very intelligent and knows her stuff.
I'm so screwed if Gabrielle takes pre-honours if/when I do it. Can see why people would dislike, even detest her, but if one looks past wild frizzy black hair, the freaky-feminist demeanour, and the multitude of overheads and slide, I guess they'll see a smart woman that means well too (look too hard, and you'll go blind from the overhead projector's glare)

HSC
In todays lecture Gabrielle said that Frank would be taking the ECOP3xxx course next year on economic policy

*ejaculates*

bustinjustin

HSC
Silver Persian said:
In todays lecture Gabrielle said that Frank would be taking the ECOP3xxx course next year on economic policy

*ejaculates*
OMG I can't believe I missed that, I was out on the phone (nearly) getting fired by my boss!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Silver Persian said:

*ejaculates*
Do you know which 3XXX course it is? Cos I' pre-enrolling at the moment for 3000 level subjects and I want to know which one it is@!!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Silver Persian said:
ECOP3018 - Economic Policy, its in first semester
Ooohhhh thank you so much!!! That was my iffy subject, I'm definatley doing that now.

Are you coming to drinks today?

HSC
I was thinking about coming uju...but I didn't have any subjects on Thursday and I don't know any of you scary Bosers :p

btw, bustin justin, is your name irl Justin, are you Azn and do you go to Jonathon Millers ECOP1002 tutorial at 10am on Wednesday??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)