Edutest results & transferring high schools (1 Viewer)

Fhgkdhg

HSC
Has anyone heard any news from normo for selective transfer

C_master

HSC
Hi guys,

So I went through the process to try and transfer high schools this year and I did the Edutest exam earlier this year. I put down JR and Baulko down (quite adventurous of me I know) and sent my application through with a vast amount of certificates from both extracurricular and acadmic competitions and my Sem 1 report with 1 B (tech really sucks tbh). Fast forward to after the exam, I got 5 superiors which I was quite content with. I then got an email from Ruse saying that they had shortlisted me for an interview and would contact me for an interview if any spots opened up. After hearing this I pretty much thought that Baulko might consider me for a spot/interview at their school considering that Ruse is supposedly more selective and is higher ranking than Baulko. So when I opened an email from BHHS which stated that I was unsuccessful, I was really devastated and shocked. Did any of you guys or anyone that you know get an offer from BOTH BHHS and Ruse or is it that if you get an offer/ shortlist from one you cannot get one from the other.

Your lucky that you even were shortlisted; Mine was unsuccessful 😤

newbeat

HSC
N/A
no i didn't apply for y9 but for y7--> y8
Hi Blueberry do you mind if I am asking if you are currently in Selective High School and if your sibling/ s are in JR. Do you get any extra advantage if your siblings are currently or were in JR? Which Selective HS you are in?

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
Hi Blueberry do you mind if I am asking if you are currently in Selective High School and if your sibling/ s are in JR. Do you get any extra advantage if your siblings are currently or were in JR? Which Selective HS you are in?
I have a sibling that doesn't attend JR but attends one of the top 3 selective schools. I am not in one of the top 10 schools but am a student of quite a well known school. I don't know about JR but there it is rumoured that students trying for other schools can be given a slight advantage (i dont know how far this is true) but mostly results are based on Edutest/HAST and internal school achievements from extracurriculars, reporting etc. :)

Yes99

HSC
I have a sibling that doesn't attend JR but attends one of the top 3 selective schools. I am not in one of the top 10 schools but am a student of quite a well known school. I don't know about JR but there it is rumoured that students trying for other schools can be given a slight advantage (i dont know how far this is true) but mostly results are based on Edutest/HAST and internal school achievements from extracurriculars, reporting etc. :)
you should try ruse again next year, and given that you were shortlisted this year. you will have very good chance of getting for yr 9 entry (which has +25 intakes compared to year 8 entry) as long as you keep your current standards. i dont think any school has given advantage, new students this year are from everywhere. although ~50% of them are from top 5 schools. you see other private and selective school students.

newbeat

HSC
N/A
Thanks Blueberry. Can I send you text to know how to help my child to prepare for the Edutest, my child is sitting Edutest next year and also I did not understand what is that slight advantage in JR. My child is not involved in any extra curricular activities but if a good school report can be produced will that be sufficinet? Please help my child.

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
Thanks Blueberry. Can I send you text to know how to help my child to prepare for the Edutest, my child is sitting Edutest next year and also I did not understand what is that slight advantage in JR. My child is not involved in any extra curricular activities but if a good school report can be produced will that be sufficinet? Please help my child.
I did lots of extracurricular activities last year so that certainly aided me in the application process. If you think about it, you already know the people at the Top 5 Selective Schools will be exceptionally smart, so extracurriculars are= what will set you apart from the applicants. My report from last year was quite good and I got 8 A's and 1 B in my Semester One (the B was an irrelevant subject). NAPLAN is also quite important. But if I am being brutally honest, they will barely look at your portfolio unless you get good marks in the Edutest exam, considering that they usually have over 150 applicants applying for almost every year (for Baulkham Hills it was 200 for my year this year). I would say do the Edutest practice exams even though they are extremely expensive (at this point Edutest is kind of scamming us- ≈300 dollars to sit the test and ≈60 dollars for each practice tests). I only purchased 2-3 out of the 6 practice tests. I found the Victorian Year 9 Selective Papers to be quite helpful (I can DM u the link if you want). The main reason people want to go to JR is (correct me if I am wrong) but HSC scores are scaled up based on your school ranking, so if all your peers do well (like in JR) they will scale your ATAR up a bit (I think). Is your child in a Selective School? I don't think that plays a very big role in the transfer application though.

Sethio

HSC
If I could add on, JR wouldn't mind someone who takes on academic comps ie; (AIMO, AMC, ASOC, JSO) and whatnot. Performing in them is a different story but competing in them regardless of results will be a standout. FYI, I received entry into Baulko, NSB and made the interview for Ruse (but chose to personally decline) and I can attest that extracurriculars take you VERY far because everyone is academically competent and you need to stand out --> where extracurriculars are very useful. Please note this doesn't mean that you should just do lots of extracurriculars for short periods --> sometimes it's better to focus on 2-3 in the next year but perform exceptionally in them. For me, these were Sports, Music, Science Projects and Robotics. I understand the desire to "stack" your application but sometimes it's more desirable to let your child enjoy what he is doing. Note this doesn't mean you should limit yourself to 3 activities --> chop and change and then find one that you are passionate about doing. My favourite saying is "a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one." I split my application into 2-3 sections Academics, Sport, Creative Arts/Music, and Entrepreneurship (optional) which just creates a holistic application.

Onto the Edutest, it just stands as a prerequisite for your application --> perform well in the Edutest = successfully passed the first stage. Please, Please, Please, understand that it is very important to do good in the test --> yes it is pretty much a replication of Selective School Type Testing but note nothing from your application is worth it without a good test result like Blueberry said. It sets up your whole application process. But don't stress it is quite an easy test if you practice the right way --> i agree not to waste your money on the Edutest Practice ones and just go straight to the Vic Selective School Test. Vocab is key so find the TSS spelling list (i think) make an anki on it --> and use spaced repetition for the next year you will easily master your vocab --> find some relevant study methods. Other than that i trust you will perform exceptionally on the test.

Now with the JR thing. Yes, it is an exceptional school. But no it isn't for everyone. You will get stronger scaling in JR as their is no so-called "tail end" meaning your marks will get dragged relatively high --> but internal rankings make or break. For instance, if your child was in Baulko for instance and constantly DUX there would be no logical reason to change schools. His internal rankings would project exceptional marks for the HSC. Note irrespective of the school if you rank 1st throughout --> you get to keep 50% of the highest external mark from the hsc. Meaning i could be at a 400th-ranked school --> rank 1st across the board within the school --> and then get 95+ in everything in the hsc. You "follow your path" but its risky as its up to you. Unlike somewhere like Ruse where the cohort will bring you up meaning a minor slip-up will most likely be saved by a strong cohort. But in reality, i would take any of the Top 3 happily wherein it just come to personal preference. In reality academic competition is similar throughout, Ruse peaking with academics but just consider factors such as sport, co-ed and whatnot when your choosing your schools at that point.

Side Note: nice job Blueberry on Baulko, hope to see you!

Also, Ensure You Have Good Reports!

newbeat

HSC
N/A
oh... im not gonna get jr anyways bc i recently got a call from baulko saying they want to have an interview w me and i passed the interview 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ plus theres probably no seats left by now
Hi Blueberry, could you please share the link of Victorian Selective School Year 9 paper or anything else that you used to prepare for the Edutest in Year 7. That would be greatly appreciated.

newbeat

HSC
N/A
If I could add on, JR wouldn't mind someone who takes on academic comps ie; (AIMO, AMC, ASOC, JSO) and whatnot. Performing in them is a different story but competing in them regardless of results will be a standout. FYI, I received entry into Baulko, NSB and made the interview for Ruse (but chose to personally decline) and I can attest that extracurriculars take you VERY far because everyone is academically competent and you need to stand out --> where extracurriculars are very useful. Please note this doesn't mean that you should just do lots of extracurriculars for short periods --> sometimes it's better to focus on 2-3 in the next year but perform exceptionally in them. For me, these were Sports, Music, Science Projects and Robotics. I understand the desire to "stack" your application but sometimes it's more desirable to let your child enjoy what he is doing. Note this doesn't mean you should limit yourself to 3 activities --> chop and change and then find one that you are passionate about doing. My favourite saying is "a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one." I split my application into 2-3 sections Academics, Sport, Creative Arts/Music, and Entrepreneurship (optional) which just creates a holistic application.

Onto the Edutest, it just stands as a prerequisite for your application --> perform well in the Edutest = successfully passed the first stage. Please, Please, Please, understand that it is very important to do good in the test --> yes it is pretty much a replication of Selective School Type Testing but note nothing from your application is worth it without a good test result like Blueberry said. It sets up your whole application process. But don't stress it is quite an easy test if you practice the right way --> i agree not to waste your money on the Edutest Practice ones and just go straight to the Vic Selective School Test. Vocab is key so find the TSS spelling list (i think) make an anki on it --> and use spaced repetition for the next year you will easily master your vocab --> find some relevant study methods. Other than that i trust you will perform exceptionally on the test.

Now with the JR thing. Yes, it is an exceptional school. But no it isn't for everyone. You will get stronger scaling in JR as their is no so-called "tail end" meaning your marks will get dragged relatively high --> but internal rankings make or break. For instance, if your child was in Baulko for instance and constantly DUX there would be no logical reason to change schools. His internal rankings would project exceptional marks for the HSC. Note irrespective of the school if you rank 1st throughout --> you get to keep 50% of the highest external mark from the hsc. Meaning i could be at a 400th-ranked school --> rank 1st across the board within the school --> and then get 95+ in everything in the hsc. You "follow your path" but its risky as its up to you. Unlike somewhere like Ruse where the cohort will bring you up meaning a minor slip-up will most likely be saved by a strong cohort. But in reality, i would take any of the Top 3 happily wherein it just come to personal preference. In reality academic competition is similar throughout, Ruse peaking with academics but just consider factors such as sport, co-ed and whatnot when your choosing your schools at that point.

Side Note: nice job Blueberry on Baulko, hope to see you!

Also, Ensure You Have Good Reports!
Thanks Sethio, it was very useful response however I am very nervous now as don't know how to help my child to prepare for the Edutest and do all sort of extra things you mentioned. Is it okay if I can send you a message so I can ask in more detail. Thank you.

Sethio

HSC
Thanks Sethio, it was very useful response however I am very nervous now as don't know how to help my child to prepare for the Edutest and do all sort of extra things you mentioned. Is it okay if I can send you a message so I can ask in more detail. Thank you.
Yeah that's totally fine

newbeat

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's totally fine
I did send you a conversation request, however not sure if you received. I am very new here and being a parent may not be very techno friendly like you youngstars.

newbeat

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

So I went through the process to try and transfer high schools this year and I did the Edutest exam earlier this year. I put down JR and Baulko down (quite adventurous of me I know) and sent my application through with a vast amount of certificates from both extracurricular and acadmic competitions and my Sem 1 report with 1 B (tech really sucks tbh). Fast forward to after the exam, I got 5 superiors which I was quite content with. I then got an email from Ruse saying that they had shortlisted me for an interview and would contact me for an interview if any spots opened up. After hearing this I pretty much thought that Baulko might consider me for a spot/interview at their school considering that Ruse is supposedly more selective and is higher ranking than Baulko. So when I opened an email from BHHS which stated that I was unsuccessful, I was really devastated and shocked. Did any of you guys or anyone that you know get an offer from BOTH BHHS and Ruse or is it that if you get an offer/ shortlist from one you cannot get one from the other.

Hi, can I please ask outcome of your shortlist in JR? Are you in JR now? Want to connect with you and want to learn more from you. My child will sit EDU Test this year so will be very grateful for your tips/ guidance. Thanks.

HSC
Hi guys,

I know I'm a year late to this but keep in mind Baulko is the most applied to school in all of NSW

Alpcufd

HSC
anyone applied for year 11 Sydney boys before??? Any recommendations for the placement test? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)