EE2 Scaling (1 Viewer)

HSC
Can someone (who knows what they're talking about) tell me if/how scaling applies?

It's not fair to not scale at all, and to just take the raw mark - what if you have a harsh teacher?

...but on the other hand...

How do you scale when you're being assessed on two entirely different things (process / product)?

Or is it one of those ranking things again?

just curious...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There are three different scaling procedures in the HSC - moderating, scaling and aligning.

We begin with these marks:
RAW SCHOOL ASSESSMENT MARK
RAW EXAMINATION MARK

The moderating procedure transforms your raw school assessment marks so that they are on the same scale as your raw examination (or major work) marks. The moderating procedure takes into account the rankings of students and the relative differences between them, as demonstrated by their raw school assessment marks. The new moderated mark is calculated with reference to the distribution of raw examination marks for that class. (For an example, see this thread and www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php.)

We now have:
INITIAL MODERATED ASSESSMENT MARK
RAW EXAMINATION MARK

[* See note at end.]

Those two marks are averaged (which is permissible because they're on the same scale) to produce your raw HSC mark.

We now have:
RAW HSC MARK

Scaling is applied to your raw HSC mark, which has the effect of making those marks comparable between different courses, and this produces your scaled HSC mark.

We now have:
SCALED HSC MARK

The scaled HSC mark is then available for inclusion in your UAI.

[* The process diverges here. The initial moderated assessment mark and the raw examination mark are also 'aligned' to the performance bands (in exactly the same way), and are reported to you by the Board as your assessment and examination marks. These marks are also averaged to produce an HSC mark. None of these aligned marks are used in your UAI. ]

You should also refer to this flowchart for further clarification... although it needs updating.

Originally posted by whiterabbit
Can someone (who knows what they're talking about) tell me if/how scaling applies?

It's not fair to not scale at all, and to just take the raw mark - what if you have a harsh teacher?

...but on the other hand...

How do you scale when you're being assessed on two entirely different things (process / product)?

Or is it one of those ranking things again?

just curious...

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
The moderating procedure transforms your raw school assessment marks so that they are on the same scale as your raw examination (or major work) marks.
maybe i'm just lost... but...

does that mean if you do really bad in your process, your major work mark will be pulled down to that level? or vice versa?

i thought our teachers have to submit some kind of estimate mark?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
does that mean if you do really bad in your process, your major work mark will be pulled down to that level? or vice versa?
Nope.

It means if your class as a whole does poorly in the major work component, the assessment marks of your class will be brought down to match them (because, obviously, your teacher marked too leniently). Conversely, if your class, as a whole, does well in the major work component, the assessment marks of your class will be brought up (because your teacher has marked too harshly).

The external component, being the HSC exam or major work, is used as a statewide benchmark for determining your moderated assessment marks - this makes marks from different schools comparable.

You can test it out on our prototype model: www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

Just enter major work marks instead of exam marks.

i thought our teachers have to submit some kind of estimate mark?
Nope. Used to be the case, a long time ago, but not anymore.

boxheadman

Evans River K-12 (Don’t worry, I haven’t herd of i
HSC
hay, just wondering... There are only 3 ppl in my class, two of us are looking to get in the 90's whereas the other student will be happy to get 70's and has been performing thus in assessment tasks up till now. Will this drag everyone else down seing as how we are such a small class??

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No.

Me and my friend got 49 and 50 overall respectively, whilst my other friend got 39.

disfcuktional

HSC
hey guys
i was wondering, for my own peace of mind, what happens when you've performed not so well in your class assessments and yet your story is pretty good. well heres the current position of the class. there's only 3 people

the person coming first has so far scored 22.5/30
the person coming second and third are tied at around 19/30

oh we've also recently done our reports which are worth 20 percent out of the fifty so that could boost it up quite a bit because this is the only one i feel good about.

the thing is im probably the lower person person on that list because i got really messed up with crappy ideas and stuff like that. at the current state of my story its looking good (hopeful) and could potentially get somewhere in band five, or maybe even higher (im hoping anway). i think this is the same for each of us within the class

is it still possible to get those marks despite the bad assessments to do well, like really well. and lets say my story is actually does end up better than the person who was ranking first, could i potentially get a scaled mark that is higher than theirs despite rank?

any one who can clear this up will be greatly appreciated!

HSC
N/A
I don't know much about the scaling myself- Lazarus, you are a champion and i thank you so much for writing out that long spiel, but-

All I hope is that my eng Ext 2 marks skyrocket. Seriously. I NEED IT!!! If it weren't for eng ext 1 and 2, I don't think my estimated UAI would get a hundreth of a mark over 80...

disf, my way of looking at it is this- So long as your major work AND reflection statement AND journal are up to scratch, i don't think you can go too bad. After all, these are the most important things right?

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Actually, speaking about that, what weight, if any, do the external markers place on the Journal? Because I've seen conflicting information - the Board says that only the PRODUCT is marked externally (I'm assuming that means the work itself), while the external marking criteria also mentions the journal... so which is it? And how much weight is placed on it? I remember someone here saying that with the reflection statement, it influences the markers, but it isn't itself marked per se, is that what the journal's like?

HSC
N/A
I don't think the journal is actually marked- it simply serves as evidence that the major work is actually your own work (for example, the evidence of research and drafts prove that you wrote it).

If someone else wrote your work, you wouldn't have a lot of evidence/researcg/drafting to back up your work. I also have a feeling that unless they really need to, they won't read the journal, or they might just flick through it :)

Best wishes!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
the journal is def not marked. HOWEVER, they will quite often flick through it and if your journal doesn't support the work you've done you're going to lose some serious marks... because then they have no proof you've done the work! also, if they want to see how you arrived at some conclusion, decision etc, they'll look closer at it. so it does need to be up to date and up to scratch.

S

Sheehan :)

scallings good and all but seriously we shpuld all just try an get the best marks we can and not really on scalling

acer91

HSC
N/A
The Journal is there for authentification, if needed by the markers. Its not likely that they will just casually flick through it unless they have some serious doubts because they also need to fill in a written form for the senior markers if they want to check your journal out.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
The journal IS your internal school mark. The journal is the only way the teacher has of certifying the work as your own. Each time you do an assessment task, you will hand the journal in, where all your work should be documented, as well as other times throughout the year.

At external marking though, no, the journal is not marked, usually just checked through that what is in there correlates with the work in general.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
jaihson said:
Latin continuers scales higher than 4u maths
That was definately worth resurrecting a month old thread.

The major problem with EE2 is not so much the scaling, but rather the highly subjective marking and extreme fluctuations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)