Elective : "Telling The Truth" (Frontline) (1 Viewer)

nightblooming

If anyone has any questions or comments on this elective id be interested to hear any thoughts, we studied it last year in yr 11 and I personaly thought it was f8cken great it opened my eyes regarding media issues and the concept of 'truths' that are perpetuated through the media.
:chainsaw:

nightblooming

ARH!

*Im sorry* I just realised we did that for adv, not extention, were doing Postmodernism in ext, i get the three english courses im doing confoosed! :D

jessika

law chicky
HSC
yeah, the topic is actually pretty easy. Just find some good related material and your set.

sdpy

Yeah I'm doing Telling the Truth... I think it's been really good, but also kind of ... CYNICAL? It's basically taught me to doubt absolutely everything I see and hear! (I can't watch ACA anymore without making loud remarks on the general shittiness of current affairs programs!)
The whole concept "what is truth" is great through... good thinking

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
yeah i did telling the truth - frontline last year and it is an interesting elective, but i must say that it is hard to take current affairs programs seriously after all that

mazz

hey look! ????
We are just finishing it an i found it OK. I mean frontline was funny and all but i dont see why we study this in ENGLISH! I know all the analysis crap but still... who cares.. current affairs programs lie an manipulate ad exploit human emotions etc etc pl get the point... no need to go into all the depth... but the assessmentwe are doing on it has been fun, although i HATE group assessment and the concet of your mark depending on how good the people in your group are... it shits me.. anway what was your question... sorry i forgot i sort of blabber too much.. ohh but the thing that confuses me is that its not like they ALWAYS LIE.... like there is truth in what they say and how are we supposed to know when it atually is being manipulated... i hate it cause now i analyse absolutly everything in the media trying to sort ou whether they are "telling the truth"

25 Cent

resources on Frontline

do you have any resources/notes on Frontline, coz im having a hard time coming to terms with understanding how to answer a question on this topic
thanx

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
What is the question? Have you tried this? Under module C, there are some notes on Frontline - themes, episodes, issues and techniques.

DUB81N

I can't get my head around it either. I just want a few points about what it says about telling the truth and then I think I could work from there. I can't seem to get anything down on paper. Any suggestions?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by nightblooming
we studied it last year in yr 11
Are you doing it for your HSC?? Cos I don't think you're allowed to do HSC topics in Prelim (unless you're excelerated of course)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Asessment Task

ok, we've been given an assessment task on 'telling the truth' and 'representation' and basically we have to do our own version of media watch or aca or something on any issue.
Anyone do this before? I've got the issues etc...just not sure how to structure it.

thanks.

- I'll be back for the essay we have to do to....that (in my opinion) is a b*tch of a question...

:chainsaw:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by DUB81N
I can't get my head around it either. I just want a few points about what it says about telling the truth and then I think I could work from there. I can't seem to get anything down on paper. Any suggestions?
Well, here's the basic rundown.

The show is a satire of the commercial current affairs program. Its main message is that while CA shows claim to provide an unbiased telling of the truth, this rarely happens. This can be due to a number of issues...among them:

- Relentless pursuit of ratings:- shows will go to extraordinary lengths for ratings. ie. in "the Siege" - the truth is compromised and people's lives are put into danger.

- Image vs. substance - shows will often distort the truth in a story to create 'sensationalism'. This also encompasses the idea of creating a story merely for its face value, with very little substance. eg "Smaller fish to fry".

- Money - Shows will go for stories which will earn them big bucks. eg. in one of the later episodes...can't remember which one exactly, they run a story on a charity organisation, after entering into an agreement not to, for money and ratings.

- Powerplay - often stories are misrepresented, distorted, or not even shown at all because of the 'powers that be', organisations and authoritarian figures who have control over what the show can put to air. eg. Mike's story (the only good idea he ever has) can't be shown in "Smaller Fish to Fry" because it's an expose on major bank fraud.

Just some random thoughts from my head. I hope that helps.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Re: Re: Elective : "Telling The Truth" (Frontline)

Originally posted by YEAR12

Are you doing it for your HSC?? Cos I don't think you're allowed to do HSC topics in Prelim (unless you're excelerated of course)

that woulda kicked arse if my school was dodgey and did it in yar 11 as well as teh hsc imagine how prepared I coulda been for any questions thrown at me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)