Electives (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It depends on your course structure. See the handbook. You should follow the structure to avoid future clashes with core subjects. If your course says that there is an elective to do in first year, then do it. You can pretty much choose from anything.

Jonathan A

HSC
GirlGoneMad said:
Is it better to do electives after you have studied some or most of the course?
You can do them after the core units. the advantage of doing electives in first year is you can see if you are doing the right course or if an interest is what you should be doing. In my case I did BSoSc, and I did Business Law elective. I enjoyed it and so transferred to LLB and BSoSc.

kag86

HSC
N/A
Say if i do get into B/social science what electives can i choose from? I wanna do Psychology... It's all kinda confusing coz of the 100's 200's 300's????? Getting lost.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
kag86 said:
Say if i do get into B/social science what electives can i choose from? I wanna do Psychology... It's all kinda confusing coz of the 100's 200's 300's????? Getting lost.
Level 100 = introductory subjects - first year subjects
Level 200 = slightly harded subjects and require much more research
Level 300 = major research projects.

You can only choose electives if your course structure says you can.

kag86

HSC
N/A
Oh ok, yeah just looked at it again it says i can choose to make up to 40 credit points and there's like a list of subjects.... it's making sense now. Thanks!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
No probs - remember 40 credit points is equal to 4 subjects. I'm sure you know that, just a reminder though :)

kag86

HSC
N/A
yeah i checked that lol.... each 10 cred points.... got it. Now i sit and wait :rolleyes: one more week to go!

Jonathan A

HSC
kag86 said:

As mentioned they are split up into years. You can bypass them depending on your degree programme. E.g. I am enrolled into a level 300 unit which is catered for policing, but as a criminology student I can do it in second year.

In SoSc, they will only let you do the first two Psychology foundation units, 1A and 1B in first year. You can do other introductory units, however any 'advanced' units will mean a presumption you know certain background knowledge you might not have. Your key psych programme will be in your 2nd and 3rd years (you can transfer to BPsych) and you then do an Honours Year. You then go for the PostgradDipPsych.

Last edited:

klh

HSC
pussy cat, what do you want to ask?
i can help!!! pick me!!!

wiht my course adviser, she told me to do my cores, since i stuffed my course structure, and leave electives later so the third year can be less strain, but i do my third year courses this year as well which is goingt o be a bitch.
best to follow the course strcuture, but if you can get away with it [that is no clashes] dont follow and get your cores out fo the way, dont want to think about electives until you want to know what you want to do instead of wasting an elective.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Hello!
Yeah. Electives are confusing me. My advise session in on Thursdays and I'm told i should pick my electives there. Im going to do Psychology in B Arts and I am aware i need to pick some subjects within psychology for the 2nd and 3rd year. Do we pick that on the day or before each semster?!

And also, my course structure allows me to pick electives. Anyone know what kind of subjects are avaliable as electives for BA? and do they also go for 3 years? or do we pick new electives every semester too?

Im trying to find out as much as possible so i wont have to spend too much time looking confused on thursday =]

Thanks in advance

candi_licious

funky_a said:
Hello!
Yeah. Electives are confusing me. My advise session in on Thursdays and I'm told i should pick my electives there. Im going to do Psychology in B Arts and I am aware i need to pick some subjects within psychology for the 2nd and 3rd year. Do we pick that on the day or before each semster?!

And also, my course structure allows me to pick electives. Anyone know what kind of subjects are avaliable as electives for BA? and do they also go for 3 years? or do we pick new electives every semester too?

Im trying to find out as much as possible so i wont have to spend too much time looking confused on thursday =]

Thanks in advance
Arghh im screwed! i can't work out this whole timetable thing with doing psychology with the arts degree! Also, what do they mean by levels of certain electives??? I think i'm going to be asking soooo many questions on thursday :eek:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
candilish3z said:
Arghh im screwed! i can't work out this whole timetable thing with doing psychology with the arts degree! Also, what do they mean by levels of certain electives??? I think i'm going to be asking soooo many questions on thursday :eek:
The arts degree is a pain to work out. But from what i can gather from friends telling me, you have to choose a certain number of electives from the arts subjects as well as a certain number of subjects from the psychology subjects.

By levels of certain electives, we mean level 100, 200 and 300. You usually undertake level 100 in first year, towards the end of first year you can do level 200 subjects. The levels just generally reflect what year your in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)