electrical engineering at UOW??? (1 Viewer)

M-unit

HSC
ok this is my first post on here and ive got a coupel of questions RE: wollongong

Firstly im set on doing an electrial engineering course, however i havnt got the maths or physics skills required ATM.. however i am planning on doing bridging courses to bring me up to scratch...

so basically what is the electrical engineering course like at UOW... is it interesting etc.?? and also what is the maths and physics like.. i do have a backgroudn of science in chem and bio.. but no physics... would you think if i did the bridging courses i should be right for the degree??

secondly what is the UOW actually like.. it seems averyoen is saying the lecturers are ghey and the actual uni is crap... im after some opinions on this...

thanks guys

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I've gone through 3 years of telecommunications engineering (almost same course structure as electrical) and maths here at UOW.

You will only need physics in first year, where you have to do a physics subject. This isn't two hard as it is only an introduction.

Maths gets pretty heavy once you get into 3rd/4th year, but hopefully by then you have gotten some practice.

Compared to other unis UOW offeres a very practical program. There are group projects in every year except the thesis year. Not many other unis do this and employers recognise how practical the UOW degree program is.

I'd say there are only 1-2 really bad lecturers in the electrical engineering faculty. I mean really bad. The rest are pretty good.

The uni is getting renovated now, so by the time you get here it will be alot nicer asthetically.

HSC
M-unit said:
ok this is my first post on here and ive got a coupel of questions RE: wollongong

Firstly im set on doing an electrial engineering course, however i havnt got the maths or physics skills required ATM.. however i am planning on doing bridging courses to bring me up to scratch...

so basically what is the electrical engineering course like at UOW... is it interesting etc.?? and also what is the maths and physics like.. i do have a backgroudn of science in chem and bio.. but no physics... would you think if i did the bridging courses i should be right for the degree??

secondly what is the UOW actually like.. it seems averyoen is saying the lecturers are ghey and the actual uni is crap... im after some opinions on this...

thanks guys
I'm a first year electrical engineering student! I've only been doing it for a little over three weeks but I can give you an insight anyways...

We do a maths subject, physics, programming and an intro to electrical/computer/telecommunication engineering (ECTE) subject. The subjects are kinda generic but its more to provide a base and the real electrical stuff won't start till second year, where the physics and programming part is ditched.

It's ok but not overly interesting atm because we are doing real generic stuff, but its early days yet and its supposed to get better as time goes on.

What physics have you done/are doing at high school? Chem might help you in materials or environmental or mining engineering but I'm afraid that neither chem nor bio knowledge will help you in electrical engineering. if you haven't done senior school physics I would advise you do a bridging course. We have really only learned year 11 stuff at the present stage but I've found its a lot of maths. It's real interesting though, the lecturer's a champ!

For maths if you aren't particularly strong at it then there are different levels for maths subjects that can help you make the transition to the maths needed to do engineering.

While I'm here, I've got a question of my own. I've bought all my textbooks for first session, will I need to buy any more for second session? I've only got $75 left on my EdStart and I'll need a new maths lecture book for next session lol. I'll have some left over but will I need anymore else?

Last edited:

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yeah, UoW and UNSW have the best electrical engineering programs in my opinion....so you can't go wrong there.

at unsw, i have found that having done a lot of maths at school has really helped - so the more practice you can get now, the easier it will be for you - but having done the hsc physics course has not made much of a difference because they are so different: uni physics is basically all problem solving,whereas in the hsc you had to do all that social and ethical and historical stuff.

so, do as much maths as you can now! And people I have talked to say the bridging courses are very good - and apart from anything else - it gets them used to the style of learning required at uni which is very different from school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)