Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering/Computer Science (2 Viewers)

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Yeah you keep saying that, yet still keep asking questions easily answered by the handbook. e.g. "should I learn C or Java", maybe check your subjects and see if they use C or Java... then yes!, or "would it be less intense [math in cs vs ee]", maybe check what math subjects there are in each course...

Maybe don't ask "Is Software Engineering a better option than Computer Science?" if you don't want an answer. Not sure why you're being so rude, all I did was answer that question.

And instead of having a fit, just simply ask "are the workshops worth it?", instead of such a broad question.
Yes they use these but they are BEGINNERS courses. It doesn't say anywhere in the handbook that you're expected to be proficient in coding languages.

I know there is MORE maths in EE than CS but is it more intense? The question can't be answered by looking at the handbook because it doesn't just hand out a textbook where I can see what type of math is in every year of the course? Why is it so bad that I'm asking people doing the course to shed some light on this?

I'm not having a fit and I'm not being rude, you're being very judgmental of everything I write and you are accusing me of doing no research and not reading the handbook. Why does it matter that I posted a broad question? I did so purposely so I'd get a broader range of responses and not just one answer to one question. I don't understand why this is bothering you so much, it's not your thread..

turntaker

HSC
If you read the handbook, EE and CS share the same first year maths.
EE has 2nd year maths, that is the only difference

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I've been told that in CS it's preferable to do discrete maths which is 2nd yr if I recall correctly.
Actually I think it's required in SENG. I'l have to check, I'm mixing them up now.

Last edited:

clementinez

HSC
N/A
MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics (6 UOC)
MATH2400 Finite Mathematics (3 UOC)
MATH2859 Prob, Stats and Information (3 UOC) are required in SENG, apart from 1A and 1B

clementinez

HSC
N/A
The reason I asked where the maths is more intense is because I have a friend in CS that keeps complaining about the maths that it's killing him and he's been mentioning discrete maths a lot..

turntaker

HSC
The reason I asked where the maths is more intense is because I have a friend in CS that keeps complaining about the maths that it's killing him and he's been mentioning discrete maths a lot..
Discrete is considered to be hard.

leehuan

HSC
This is just because of what turntaker said.

Discrete maths is not necessarily an easy course. The type of thinking differs to a lot of maths that you are used to, and also different to MATH1131/41

But so what. You can be good at discrete because you can handle that way of thinking and suck at normal maths as well. That varies for person to person

clementinez

HSC
N/A
This is just because of what turntaker said.

Discrete maths is not necessarily an easy course. The type of thinking differs to a lot of maths that you are used to, and also different to MATH1131/41

But so what. You can be good at discrete because you can handle that way of thinking and suck at normal maths as well. That varies for person to person
got it

Thanks for the input :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I really only came close to commanding her not to do seng. Maybe if OP outright said, "yeah I like the idea of being forced to do my thesis, those workshops sound awesome, I like a strict program vs a flexible one", then I wouldn't have assumed she didn't know anything about CS vs SENG.

And I don't think you can blame me when just the other day there was someone picking SENG over CS JUST because of the name lol.

And I also don't know how hard it is to look at the UNSW handbook. There are many questions in this thread that could be easily answered by OP by looking at the handbook page. I am commanding you OP to look at it:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2016/ELECAH3707.html

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2013/3978.html
Well they mainly asked for some insight from students who are currently enrolled in related programs and what to do.

The handbook only provides a certain amount of insight. Course outlines are a lot more detailed and make sense to a uni student but in general don't to a high student who has no idea what any of the terms mean. So it is understandable why they would have a bit of trouble getting information out of a few things online. We've probably all asked questions before which have answers that can be extracted from the handbook or course outlines.

Nah elec at UNSW has maths embedded into other courses, not just second year maths.

You learn a lot of different maths within the elec courses themselves, but if your background is solid enough (75+ in the school of maths courses) then you should be fine.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah you keep saying that, yet still keep asking questions easily answered by the handbook. e.g. "should I learn C or Java", maybe check your subjects and see if they use C or Java... then yes!, or "would it be less intense [math in cs vs ee]", maybe check what math subjects there are in each course...
Just to note on this point, it isn't required to have any previous programming experience to enter a comp degree.

And instead of having a fit, just simply ask "are the workshops worth it?", instead of such a broad question.
Most answers to this question would be subjective. A better question yet would be "what occurs within the workshops and what are some things that past students got out of them?".

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Well they mainly asked for some insight from students who are currently enrolled in related programs and what to do.

The handbook only provides a certain amount of insight. Course outlines are a lot more detailed and make sense to a uni student but in general don't to a high student who has no idea what any of the terms mean. So it is understandable why they would have a bit of trouble getting information out of a few things online. We've probably all asked questions before which have answers that can be extracted from the handbook or course outlines.

Nah elec at UNSW has maths embedded into other courses, not just second year maths.

You learn a lot of different maths within the elec courses themselves, but if your background is solid enough (75+ in the school of maths courses) then you should be fine.
this in bold so much^^ half the time when I'm reading up on these courses I don't understand what I'm reading and I assumed there would be maths embedded into other courses which is why asked

my maths knowledge is around 3 unit because I self studied that content and had 2 unit at school... I'm decent at it so I assume I'd be able to handle both CS and EE if I'm dedicated..

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
this in bold so much^^ half the time when I'm reading up on these courses I don't understand what I'm reading and I assumed there would be maths embedded into other courses which is why asked

my maths knowledge is around 3 unit because I self studied that content and had 2 unit at school... I'm decent at it so I assume I'd be able to handle both CS and EE if I'm dedicated..
Yeah if you are dedicated you should be fine. I have a friend who did 3U and is doing well at uni now. In saying that his first semester was really rough but by second semester everything clicked and he had the skill set to do really well in everything.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Just to note on this point, it isn't required to have any previous programming experience to enter a comp degree.

Most answers to this question would be subjective. A better question yet would be "what occurs within the workshops and what are some things that past students got out of them?".
That's good to know because I don't think I'll have the time to learn to program before uni starts.

Do you happen to know anything about the workshops in SENG? I've asked around but I don't know anyone doing SENG and people on forums just usually say they're not worth it without any further explanation of what goes on.
Is there a lot of group work in EE or do most students just stick to themselves?

Last edited:

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Yeah if you are dedicated you should be fine. I have a friend who did 3U and is doing well at uni now. In saying that his first semester was really rough but by second semester everything clicked and he had the skill set to do really well in everything.
Good to know because sometimes I get the idea that if you haven't done 4u you're in for disaster.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Your reply is great. Thanks!

I haven't done 4u maths.
That seems like a reasonable amount of study. Regardless of what I choose, keeping up to date with everything is most effective.
Do EE students get to do a lot of practical work while still at uni?

You've definitely given me a lot to think about.
yes elec involves a lot of practical work.

In comp sci, most if not all of your laboratories are just theory/programming.

In comp eng, there are a few very practical courses with laboratories.

In elec, there's a practical laboratory component to almost all courses.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
That's good to know because I don't think I'll have the time to learn to program before uni starts.

Do you happen to know anything about the workshops in SENG? I've asked around but I don't know anyone doing SENG and people on forums just usually say they're not worth it without any further explanation of what goes on.
Is there a lot of group work in EE or do most students just stick to themselves?
I have no clue about the workshops for SENG sorry.

There are quite a few courses where group work is necessary. In essence, a successful engineer has the ability to communicate in many different environments, so it's a great thing to be very great in team environments as well as with individual work.

I've spent a lot of my time at uni working with others or doing my own work, then discussing with others so that we all end up understanding everything properly.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
yes elec involves a lot of practical work.

In comp sci, most if not all of your laboratories are just theory/programming.

In comp eng, there are a few very practical courses with laboratories.

In elec, there's a practical laboratory component to almost all courses.
I assume since you know so much about EE you're studying it? Are the laboratory components enjoyable? Are the tutors helpful if you don't understand something?

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I have no clue about the workshops for SENG sorry.

There are quite a few courses where group work is necessary. In essence, a successful engineer has the ability to communicate in many different environments, so it's a great thing to be very great in team environments as well as with individual work.

I've spent a lot of my time at uni working with others or doing my own work, then discussing with others so that we all end up understanding everything properly.
This is what drew me to engineering in the first place because it feels like a team environment and the work looks more fulfilling than regular office jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)