electrochem... (1 Viewer)

Aerlinn

HSC
1. A student working in the laboratory spilled an iodine solution over the bench, causing a dark brown stain to form. Suggest how the student could remove the iodine stain. Suggest how the student could remove the iodine stain.
I am aware you would probably go and pour something over it to react something with it, like maybe something above/below the species in the table of standard potentials... but dilemma:
-Does iodine solution refer to I2(aq) or I-(aq)? ... i know whereabouts to look...
-which ones in the table would actually be available in a laboratory?

2. A mechanic wishes to recharge a car battery using a battery charger.
-What would be the effect on the battery if the charger were connected incorrectly?
-Why is it wise to remove the plastic sealing caps at the top of each cell of the battery during recharging?
-Explain why smoking during this procedure is particularly hazardous.
3. A manual car with a flat battery can often be started by pushing it but this is not done with an automatic car. Find out why a manual car can be started in this way and an automatic cannot.
4. Preliminary roadside breath tests are often performed by measuring the volage produced when a motorist breathes into a small fuel cell. The cell operates like a hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell, except that ethanol reaplces hydrogen. Carbon dioxide is one of the products formed when the ethanol is oxidised at the anode.
Would you expect the fuel cell to generate a voltage if natural gas were blown into the breath inlet? Explain your answer.
5. Two electrolytic cells are connected in series. One cell consists of
carbon and iron in 1M Al2(SO4)3 solution, and the other cell consists of
Copper and iron electrodes in 1.0 H2SO4 solution. The two cells are
separate-- iron and copper electrodes are connected by a wire, and copper
and iron are connected by an external circuit with a battery, with carbon
connected to the positive end, and iron to the negative end of the
battery.
A current of 5.00A flows for 15 minutes.
-Calculate the charge flowing through each cell
-Write half equations for the reactions occuring at each electrode when
the current commences to flow.
To my frustration, i get the wrong answers. And my equations were all wrong :'(
-This example is called the downs cell, for manufacture of sodium. Explain why an aqueous solution of sodium chloride would not be used as the electrolyte.

Two types of cells can be used for manufacturing chloring and NaOH: diaphragm and membrane cells. What are the disadvantages of producing chlorine in the diaphragm cell? What factors would you consider important when deciding where to site a plant that manufactures chlorine?

:wave:
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
For the 5th one, either this is from a really old Chemistry textbook or a Physics textbook.

q = ?
I = 5A
t = 900 seconds (from 15 minutes)

I = q / t

q = I / t
q = 5 / 900
q = 1 / 180 Coulombs (or just C)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
1) Iodine = I2; Iodide = I-
I believe you can assume safely that all are avaliable to scientists

2) a) Think this way: battery working = electrons go from A->B. When most or all electrons are at B, the battery would be "dead". Now, charging batteries would mean the charger is pushing electrons from B back to A. If you connect it the other way around ... (to be continued, or better yet, you tell me what happens)

b) H2 gas is evolved when lead acid battery is been charged. If the cap is not removed, you will have a build up of gas, which is dangerous

c) Smoking causes cancer?
or alternatively, H2 is flammable =)

3) WTH? Is this even a chemistry questions? hmmm By pushing the car you help recharge the battery? Though it doesn't explain why automatic cars cannot be started up like that. =/

4) Not sure. Natural gas can be converted into CO2, though I'm not certain if it is through oxidation.

7) This is industrial chem. I need to look up notes =/. (Didn't do industrial)

Aerlinn

HSC
1)
Iodine = I2; Iodide = I-
Yes, that's why it's ambiguous, and... I'm confused!
2)... electrons would keep going from A-->B, until the battery's totally dead? Or maybe nothing would happen?
3) b) Not sure why build up of gas is dangerous =S
3. Really? These calculations arent in the syllabus? Maybe i should've checked that before I started doing some of these extension sheets...
f3nr15: the answer says 4500C...
Half equations though? xiao: except the calculations, it's probably chemistry :)
4) Not sure either. Are combustion reactions redox?
7) Okay :)

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
2) correct
2) b) try blow a ballon and not let the gas out... you should see why it's dangerous =)

3)there's not calculation in that question though!!

4) /shrug

Aerlinn

HSC
2) So are you nodding at the fact that the battery goes dead or nothing would would happen?
b. it would blow up? heh...
3) What do you mean? it does, but the write the equations bit doesn't. I have trouble with that :'(

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
2) battery goes dead
b) yea

3) you mean the manual vs automatic car? where's the equation in that?

Aerlinn

HSC
3) Oh, whoops, i was looking at 5. I got the numbers mixed up, sorri.

Unsure whether i asked this before but I had itcircled, so I need help... *sniffs*
1. Early attempts to produce aluminium by electrolysis of aqueous solutions of aluminium compounds were unsuccesful. Use the table of standard potentials to explain why.
My guess is that you might need to Al3+(aq) with a metal, and those don't dissolve?!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Not really...

the question says aqueous soln... say you have Al(NO3)3 aq

so in your "solution", except Al3+, NO3 -, what else do you have? what else might preferentially reduce?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)