Emily Dickinson: Belonging (1 Viewer)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Who else is doing the " poetry of emily dickinson " for belonging ?

do you guys have a similar related text ?

like about how someone wants to belong but due to the fear of not fitting in they dont really make an attempt to ?

thats what her poems are trying to convey yes ?

i cant find anything :(

and omgd !
i went to the library today
and realised there was belonging study guides for her work
and they were all taken out
and there was 4 people on the waiting list
like wth
we just started year 12 -_-"

not happy...

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Harhar. Same situation here.

I miss Robert Frost ):

We're studying her.... that poem about 'dying for beauty' and the one about her message to the world (to which it didnt reply to her) or something like that :E

The "Who are you? Are you Nobody too?" (not sure on exact lines, just typing it otu from memory) poem made our class lol for some reason when Miss was reading it out O:

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Ooo im doing the first 2 as well =D
its going be hard to write essays on her poems
theres only one idea
n that is she wants to belong but in fear she backs out
that woman had wayyy tooo much time on her hands
-_-"
let me know if you find something please
assesmnts soo close
im desperate :(
iv been looking non stop for so long
no such luck :cold:

tetrisam

HSC
Yeah we jst started de-constructing the first two poems and i alredy know its going to be a challenge to find related texts and write essays about her work, cos there is only one concept - alienation =.='

Finx

HSC
Apparently she wrote poems daily. She didn't like the sun much either. Sounds like a total vampire to me.

loz8092467

HSC
IM trying to start an essay on her and belonging right now.
SO OVER IT

Belonging is an inevitable human condition which empowers an individual for better or sometimes for worse. In the Theorist Maslow’s perspective to belong is a need which is placed above health and safety. Belonging and being granted approval and acceptance to people, places, groups, communities and the greater world has many positive aspects and ultimately defines our identity as an individual. In comparison to belonging we find the isolation and exclusion of not belonging. Belonging is an Perennial condition which is shown present in the era of Emily Dickinson’s Poetry.

WE have an AMAZING related text

Its called Dork, Geek, Jew by danny katz

Its funny and extremly appropriate.

Look at the repition and negative connotations throughout the whole short text.

"Katz unwillingness to assimilate underlines his alienation with the australian community"
much like emily dicki.

Let me know if this helps :)

loz8092467

HSC
SO OVER IT

Belonging is an inevitable human condition which empowers an individual for better or sometimes for worse. In the Theorist Maslow’s perspective to belong is a need which is placed above health and safety. Belonging and being granted approval and acceptance to people, places, groups, communities and the greater world has many positive aspects and ultimately defines our identity as an individual. In comparison to belonging we find the isolation and exclusion of not belonging. Belonging is an Perennial condition which is shown present in the era of Emily Dickinson’s Poetry.

"Katz unwillingness to assimilate underlines his alienation with the australian community"
much like emily dicki.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
loz8092467 said:
SO OVER IT

much like emily dicki.

oOo thanxx !!!
is it a book ?
is it this ' http://books.google.com.au/books?id...=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPR12,M1 '

btw ur essays sounding pretty good so far :D

loz8092467

HSC
go to page 42 where is starts with bad aussie and it finishes on page 45

:):):)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Ooo its only 3pages ?
omgsh thank you soo muchh !!! =) =D
if you need help with anything let me know ;)
hehe thank youuu !!! :D

johndownes

HSC
Emily Dickinson Speech

Our assessment task this term is:

to deliver a 5 minute formal speech in response to the topic - "Belonging can be a valuable experience for an individual, even though it may involve overcoming signficant obstacles"

I need to speak about the poetry of Emily Dickinson and a written text of my own choice.

Any Ideas?

icecreamk3

HSC
ooh im doing emily dickinson's poetry too =)
for my related text i was thinking of doing great expectations by dickens but settled on edward scissorhands because it was far easier and of course, being a film, it's far less time consuming !

"i died for beauty but was scarce" reminds me of plastic surgery =/ does anyone feel that way too? i was thinking that the persona died for beauty in the operation room and the man died concealing the truth about his operations. relating to belonging, i was thinking about michael jackson and that perhaps the persona wanted to change their appearance to 'belong' in a society dominated by beautiful or elite people, and to 'conform' to feel a sense a belonging. Also, they felt like brethren as they shared the same link and values.

just a thought D:

omgd.

HSC
N/A
icecreamk3 said:
ooh im doing emily dickinson's poetry too =)
for my related text i was thinking of doing great expectations by dickens but settled on edward scissorhands because it was far easier and of course, being a film, it's far less time consuming !

"i died for beauty but was scarce" reminds me of plastic surgery =/ does anyone feel that way too? i was thinking that the persona died for beauty in the operation room and the man died concealing the truth about his operations. relating to belonging, i was thinking about michael jackson and that perhaps the persona wanted to change their appearance to 'belong' in a society dominated by beautiful or elite people, and to 'conform' to feel a sense a belonging. Also, they felt like brethren as they shared the same link and values.

just a thought D:

LOLLL that would have been soo much more interesting =P

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
we are the only class doing dickinson, the others are doing Skrzynecki. and they had the chance to go to a lecture by him explaining his poems!
one thing i have done for her poems is just stating that she shows belonging through alienation, the lack of belonging.
i like her, i think her poems can be interpreted in any way.
related texts im doing are:
Pride and prejudice
My Place by Sally Morgan
a newspaper article
Harry Potter and the Philospher's stone :)

if you are doing dickinson use texts that have alot of alienation, someone not belonging in their society,

HSC
Trying to come up with an intro for texts.
Emily Dickenson’s late 19th century body of work is an insightful collection of poems that…
Ergh, I hate english xD
I'm doing Lives of Girls and Women (novel) by Alice Munro
and The Pedestrian (short story) by Ray Bradbury as supp. texts.
-----------------------
Dickenson employs winter as an idiosyncratic symbol, subverting traditional conventions and thus furthering her independent..
Grr. >.<

Last edited:

loz8092467

HSC
GRRRR guys im back
and i might add that i havent written anymore of that emily dicki essay.
that related material of edward scissor hands i might just say you are a dead set champion.
TOTALLLY DOING THAT.

Emily becomes weirder and weirder more and more i read her poems. We we analysing in class today and it was something about her love for women. I was like wahhhhhhhh she is a lesbo. Turns out we were wrong and had durty minds heheh..

X

0293418-2039841

HSC
hey there...

i'm looking for a poem about belonging for a related text and i'm really struggling to find a decent one...does anybody know of any ideas??

rheannon.hickey

HSC
i want to do dork geek jew australia
but it wont let me print it out on google,
can anybody pleaaaase help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)