Emma/Clueless <-- OMGAHD SO FRKN BORING!!!! (1 Viewer)

X

xhm100

Finished Year 11 last term and on Friday will be technically Year 12 people. We've already finished watching Clueless and by Friday should be practically finished Emma! I have only gotten two chapters done and I am finding it so hard to keep up with the situation, there are way too many names for everyone and its just plain boring! Did anyone else have to do Emma/Clueless? Maybe some advice on reading it because I don't have much experience with like classical texts and stuff...should I use one of those like Excel/Sparknotes sort things that like simplify the story? Or just persist with the boringness? Please help! :sleep:

the_essence

HSC
Hey there!! Well, i just thankfully wrote my last advanced english essay this monday! YAY. Yep, i did Emma/CLueless too.

I'd advise u to persist in reading the book in conjunction with the excel or york notes 'Emma' study guide as u'll gain a more specific knowledge of the text and its similarity/difference to Clueless. I find that the ppl who didnt read Emma were less motivated to do the work and more confused about the essence of the transformation process.
This requirement for 'specific knowledge' was evident in monday's exam as the board is getting tired of generic answers....
Just keep going! I got to the end of Emma (and im thankful for it) and so can U!
Best wishes!

X

xhm100

Thanks for your input, I'm going to try and finish this, maybe get some extra help from my english teacher outside of class or something, should I bother at all with watching the movie (Emma)? Anyways, good luck with HSC and stuff!

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
I did Emma/Clueless and got through alright without even reading the book. You're right its PISS BORING!

If you listen in class and read study guides you figure out what to write anyway :p

then again don't take my advice until i get results back and actually see how i went haha

btw I like your taste in music :D are you going to hard wars by any chance?

Bijs

HSC
I also didn't read Emma. Good old study guides/handouts got me through ok

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
While you really should read all of Emma, Excel study guides etc. are really useful for chapter summaries. They're very basic, but a good reference point

Another good idea is at the end of each chapter, make a list of values brought up. E.g. Chapter 1: Self development, education, class (just making a few up). Great for reference later when looking for qutoes relevant to values.

X

xhm100

Thanks for the advice, I've bought myself that Excel Emma study guide, finally got near halfway of the book, but it's become such a freakin chore. The movie has helped alot as well.

syper said:
are you going to hard wars by any chance?
Still not old enough... :( Sounds so awesome though...

fireman-samm

HSC
haha i'm doing emma right now..
& i really can not understand it..
we have gone thru about 5 chapters in class but after that its kind of up to us..
but i cant read it.. lol
its so boring & another language.

any ideas..
did the movie help much?

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
the emma clueless module is easy enough to understand even if you didn't read the book [eg me.]
remember- it's not an in depth study of either of them, rather a study of the transformation process and why they changed certain aspects and why they kept others. read- CONTEXT, TECHNIQUE AND CONCEPT DRIVEN.

hope you do well!
we just finished that module last week [yes!!!] and it's gonna be in the half yearlies :(
now... speeches.

TwoNiner

HSC
We're doing Emma & Clueless now too. Half yearlies next week and I've only read like the first 20 or 30 pages of Emma. I've got 2 study guide books on it though so I'll go through them and hopefully I'll manage to cover my arse for the essays...

Really do wonder about doing Emma & Clueless in an all guys school though. I blame the teachers for choosing it.

loz05

HSC
hey does anyone here now anything for AOS stim booklet to do with the imaginative j. we have half yearlys nxt wk and im starting to panic!!! (reached the stage of hyperventilating lol).
the stim booklet is awful for the imaginativ j

nicole21290

HSC
I've just started that module and I don't mind it all. I'm just strange but I quite like Austen's books and had already read Emma. I've read it 3 times since we started the topic 4 weeks ago - it's great. I also grabbed Sparknotes and some summaries off some other thread and used them. I advise reading the book but keep in mind that you can probably cope otherwise. I also watched both versions of Emma on film and found that helped me straighten out all the characters more. I've watched Clueless about 5 times now and love it. Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)