Emotional support (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys. I've been depressed recently. It comes and goes. I've almost attempted suicide on multiple occasions. I often can't see any point in living. Really the only thing that keeps me from commiting suicide is my girlfriend. Can anyone give me advice and/or support? I really need it.

Aliceey

HSC
What is it that is causing your depression? It is vital to know (but of course, I will respect your right to not disclose your situation if you feel it to be too personal/inappropriate etc) so we can offer specificadvice.

I can empathise with you to some extent - I've been through short-term depression and it honestly feels like a black hole you can't escape.

So here is what I did to escape:

1. I talked to my relatives and my closest friends for support and told them about my situation. Obviously having the emotional support from relatives, friends and etc will help but depression is only something you can really overcome yourself. If you feel you can't do this and want to reach for a more anonymous approach like you've done, perhaps give Kids Helpline a call/email/chat.

2. I took a step back from life. This was done simply by going to say a beach and going for a swim in order to take things into perspective and realise that this is only a dark patch. A friend on this forum told me something nerdy haha that life is like a sinusoidal curve - When ever you're at the trough, you'll eventually recover to a peak :) This can be done in other ways such as meditating which I found really helped me.

3. I changed my mentality. Mentality is everything. Try to be optimistic and grateful for the things/people you are endeared with. Too often do we take these things for granted and are left wanting things we don't want when we should be content with what most of us already have.

4. I took up a hobby where I could release stress in the form of exercise and thus brood less on the issue. Exercising is a very healthy way of releasing angst and helping you remain sane. I recently returned to soccer which really boosted my confidence and thus aided in feeling more optimistic.

It takes time Snivy, but eventually you'll overcome depression. You'll become a much stronger person WHEN you overcome it - it all boils down to your coping mechanisms and the way you think of life. Take the first step and put an end to it.

If you ever feel like you want to vent about current issues, shoot me a private message and I'll be glad to offer some advice that may/may not be useful to you.

Best of luck to you :)

Elisa Sweet

HSC
Try visualisation. I've never experienced depression, but this does seem to help me when I am upset. Where do you want to end up in life?

I also think talking to people would be quite helpful, cause no one really knows what you're feeling until you tell them, then they can help. I'm available to talk to if you want, you can get through this :)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Hey guys. I've been depressed recently. It comes and goes. I've almost attempted suicide on multiple occasions. I often can't see any point in living. Really the only thing that keeps me from commiting suicide is my girlfriend. Can anyone give me advice and/or support? I really need it.
for the love of god talk to someone (anyone) but the internet

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
What is it that is causing your depression? It is vital to know (but of course, I will respect your right to not disclose your situation if you feel it to be too personal/inappropriate etc) so we can offer specificadvice.

I can empathise with you to some extent - I've been through short-term depression and it honestly feels like a black hole you can't escape.

1. I talked to my relatives and my closest friends for support and told them about my situation. Obviously having the emotional support from relatives, friends and etc will help but depression is only something you can really overcome yourself. If you feel you can't do this and want to reach for a more anonymous approach like you've done, perhaps give Kids Helpline a call/email/chat.

2. I took a step back from life. This was done simply by going to say a beach and going for a swim in order to take things into perspective and realise that this is only a dark patch. A friend on this forum told me something nerdy haha that life is like a sinusoidal curve - When ever you're at the trough, you'll eventually recover to a peak :) This can be done in other ways such as meditating which I found really helped me.

3. I changed my mentality. Mentality is everything. Try to be optimistic and grateful for the things/people you are endeared with. Too often do we take these things for granted and are left wanting things we don't want when we should be content with what most of us already have.

4. I took up a hobby where I could release stress in the form of exercise and thus brood less on the issue. Exercising is a very healthy way of releasing angst and helping you remain sane. I recently returned to soccer which really boosted my confidence and thus aided in feeling more optimistic.

It takes time Snivy, but eventually you'll overcome depression. You'll become a much stronger person WHEN you overcome it - it all boils down to your coping mechanisms and the way you think of life. Take the first step and put an end to it.

If you ever feel like you want to vent about current issues, shoot me a private message and I'll be glad to offer some advice that may/may not be useful to you.

+1.

HSC

Thanks. I really appreciate it. :)

Ok. What is causing it is:

I feel like I'm constantly fighting with my parents.

A couple of months ago, I broke up with my girlfriend after being together from February, and although we are back together again, it still affected it.

I am also a very literal person, and though I usually know when people are being sarcastic when talking to them face to face, I take offence from sarcasm sometimes.

I also feel that I hurt those who are very close to me without meaning to, and whenever I do this, I hurt myself. In other words, whenever I hurt someone, it's basically like I metaphorically wound myself.

I have never cut myself though, and because I don't see how it can help anything, I never plan to. That said, I have actually been *this* close to attempting suicide on multiple occasions.

Does this help?

Last edited:

Aliceey

HSC
Thanks. I really appreciate it. :)

Ok. What is causing it is:

I feel like I'm constantly fighting with my parents.

A couple of months ago, I broke up with my girlfriend after being together from February, and although we are back together again, it still affected it.

I am also a very literal person, and though I usually know when people are being sarcastic when talking to them face to face, I take offence from sarcasm sometimes.

I also feel that I hurt those who are very close to me without meaning to, and whenever I do this, I hurt myself. In other words, whenever I hurt someone, it's basically like I metaphorically wound myself.

I have never cut myself though, and because I don't see how it can help anything, I never plan to. That said, I have actually been *this* close to attempting suicide on multiple occasions.

Does this help?
Over what matters? Try to take a different approach to how you discuss certain issues with your parents ie. ask them to simply talk and sort out things in a calm manner. I know that this doesn't go according to plan so when it starts to reach the point where everyone is screaming at each other, I suggest you simply walk away. Take a few deep breaths and do something that will take your mind off the argument. Walks are VERY good for clearing my mind after I get heated and such. Another piece of advice is to count up to 100 quickly in your head before possibly outbursting. It'll help keep you level headed and less frustrated.

Does your girlfriend know what you're going through? I'm not too sure about what advice to offer here since it's quite general but it's best to discuss this with her and see where you stand in terms of your relationship. Not sure to be honest.

I have a similar problem regarding sarcasm, but really at the end of the day it's just friendly bantering from what I've learnt. Try not to let these minor things get to your head. Your mate is just trying to have some fun and doesn't/most likely doesn't have the intention of offending you. And yeah, it sucks hurting people that are close to you. Many, many (if not all) people can empathise on this part but really, say positive things about people, think positive and see positively was what another friend of mine told me (Only I paraphrased it horribly).

You've been through a lot of dark patches but I hope in the future, you steer away from all the negatives of life and focus on the beauty of life and also the limitless opportunities it has to offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)