Engineering Associations and Work Experience (1 Viewer)

konkzz

HSC
Hi,

I will be studying my 2nd year in civil engineering and commerce at usyd and I am looking to get some work experience at an engineering firm at the end of my 2nd year or 3rd. And, if I do find a job, I was wondering whether, instead of full-time studying, I can work part time and study part time. I know there's compulsory practical experience during the summer break after my 4th year but I want to start earlier if possible.

Where would I find information about any offers from engineering firms and where would I apply?

Also, do engineering associations like engineer's australia and APESMA really help for 2nd year or 3rd year students? I'm considering joining and have only heard that most students don't even use their services in the early years.

thanks

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Google companies like GHD, Arup, Coffey, Leighton and other smaller contractors. Just google civil engineer firm names and email them. Ask your lecturers.

Im a member of APESMA, didnt really use them much, but then again never contacted them.

konkzz

HSC
Thanks for your reply, I will definitely check out different civil engineering firms.

In regards to part time work and part time study, how would that be arranged?

My friends have also joined some of the engineering associations but never ever use them. But, I think if they can help me arrange some work experience than it would be useful.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thanks for your reply, I will definitely check out different civil engineering firms.

In regards to part time work and part time study, how would that be arranged?

My friends have also joined some of the engineering associations but never ever use them. But, I think if they can help me arrange some work experience than it would be useful.
Will be very hard to do part time study as the timetable is not optimised for it for civ eng.

konkzz

HSC
So, should I just look for work experience during the summer vacation? or maybe work on the weekends only?

I want to get about a year's worth of experience before I graduate. Is that possible? Also, for my commerce degree, I don't think there is compulsory practical experience. As I won't be picking my major until my 3rd year, I was wondering whether any practical experience will be beneficial any time soon?

But yes, ANY experience would be good. Has anyone done work experience at the end of their 2nd year? Also, how did you come about applying for them and whatnot?

Can the university help arrange some experience with a company?

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
I'd suggest you try find a Cadetship. Go on seek and google it every so often until you find something suitable.

Work experience would be a bit hard for a second year since you really don't have much to offer. They'd much rather take on penultimate year students.

Or simply use your contacts.

Ask family/friends who know civil engineers. Probably should offer to do it for free as well. The experience is what you're*** after in the end.

EDIT: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)