Engineering what topics to focus on for engineering (1 Viewer)

screwuhsc

HSC
Hey this question is in behalf of my brother he did 2unit maths in hsc just finish reckon he went decent and he wants to do civil or biomedical engineering so what he wanted to know was what topics in 3u and 4u should he learn and what are useful for engineering. Would be helpful if you guys can help him out thanks

astroman

HSC
pretty much all 3 and 4u course, bridging courses offer all 4u pretty sure

BlugyBlug

HSC
4U in order of importance
- Integration (self explanatory)
- Complex Numbers (Entire topic at UNSW first sem mathematics)
- Volumes (because it really teaches you the true nature of integration. It is not just some big s symbol and changing powers around, it's the summation of infinitely small terms over a finite space)
- I found inequalities useful, but inequalities in uni are nowhere near the difficulty of inequalities in 4u so don't worry too much

3u
- Applications of calculus (rates of change, etc)
- Probability/Binomial (Topic in 2nd sem math at UNSW)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're lazy, focus on the topics BlugyBlug listed. If you're not lazy, then go over all of them. AFAIK topics like conics aren't really in engineering (at least not first year) but it still helps to do topics that you don't cover in engineering because it helps you build your mathematical skill.

JamesGoh

HSC
biomed engineering would just need 3 unit maths. 4 unit is more for people who want to get into aerospace engineering in my opinion. Plus even if he does 3 unit, he'll still have to do 1st and 2 year mathematics at university as part of his engineering course

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
biomed engineering would just need 3 unit maths. 4 unit is more for people who want to get into aerospace engineering in my opinion. Plus even if he does 3 unit, he'll still have to do 1st and 2 year mathematics at university as part of his engineering course
Well typically you can do fine in first year with only MX1 knowledge.

However to get the edge and build your mathematical skillset, it's best to have MX2 knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)