Engineering with only 2U Maths (1 Viewer)

Hypem

HSC
But if you are going to do 2U (which is fine by all means), you will need to encounter 3U/4U work minimum in Engineering at some stage. Either way you may need to learn it. It can be learnt over the summer.
I was thinking about just grabbing a 3U textbook and learning it that way. I just figured it'd be pretty hard that way without assistance.

cheepy5

HSC
I was thinking about just grabbing a 3U textbook and learning it that way. I just figured it'd be pretty hard that way without assistance.
maths online bro if you can gets someones account or still have one

Lieutenant_21

HSC
Just get a terry lee 3u textbook because it has full solutions and do chapters 1-5 then 9-12.
If you need a tutor then get someone who charges around $15, not worth paying more :)

funnytomato

HSC
it also depends on which area of engineering you're interested in

to be honest, if you're finding 2u maths difficult , probably most engineering courses would be challenging

Capt Rifle

HSC
But if you are going to do 2U (which is fine by all means), you will need to encounter 3U/4U work minimum in Engineering at some stage. Either way you may need to learn it. It can be learnt over the summer.
yeh I've heard yr 12 3/4 unit is brushed up on in a month or something.... not sure if that is accurate

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
yeh I've heard yr 12 3/4 unit is brushed up on in a month or something.... not sure if that is accurate
Inaccurate, as the others have said, some parts of 4U aren't needed. Though it doesn't mean you shouldn't learn them for pure pleasure!

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol we covered the hsc complex number topic in a 3hr lecture :D people who didn't do 4u were like "dafuq is going on" lol

Hypem

HSC
it also depends on which area of engineering you're interested in

to be honest, if you're finding 2u maths difficult , probably most engineering courses would be challenging
tbh I find it pretty easy. The last test I did I got 47/50 (topic test thing), and I made the literal stupidest mistake anyone could ever make.
The question required you to use the sin rule, AND I FORGOT TO USE SIN. I used x/angle, rather than x/sin(angle). When I looked at it I couldn't help but laugh. Silly mistakes like that will be the death of me.

Anyway, yeah I'll probably pick up a textbook and ask someone for tutoring on here :)

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol that's right! But for physics, there is not much content from hsc ...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I heard if you have done 4U maths and physics you can pretty much sleep in first semester engineering :3
I heavily disagree with that statement. HSC Physics won't prepare you much for Uni physics.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
engineering with 2 unit... I can't say much as Im still in year 12, but i know people who did general and are now qualified engineers... Just focus the first year, that is their advice lol.
- which branch of Engg?

- which uni?

- what do you mean by "qualified engineers"?

Find it hard to believe one could handle Engg with just General - unless he is a genius at maths who just forgot to sign up for 3U or 4U maths!

Last edited:

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyways to the OP, do take the bridging course for 3u, if you don't and you are really crap at 2u, you are screwed.

Even if you are good at 2u , bridging course will teach you new stuff

Capt Rifle

HSC
plus, is there such thing as a terry lee 3u? i though he only has 4u lol

Capt Rifle

HSC
yeh ^^, thought terry lee wouldnt degrade himself haha thought he was top notch, elite students only lol

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
He does have 3u textbook which has piss easy questions and dies not prepare you for hsc ... 4u one is good

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Once I finish school, I'm thinking of doing an Extension 1 bridging course.

At the moment, I'm getting in the 90s for all the exams (official and topic).

I've heard conflicting opinions on it:

- Failure rate for those who only do 2U is greater than the failure rate of those who do 3U and above
- Won't have to work as hard to learn the content in the first year
+ People didn't really encounter maths that they learnt in 3U, so a bridging course wasn't really useful
+ You review all the work you do in 2U and then progress through 3U + 4U stuff later on, so that's when you can learn it

What exactly should I do?
If you're consistently getting 90s in 2unit you're gonna be fine in engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)