English Adv notes? (1 Viewer)

T

tactic

Its very hard to find why this is happening because it works fine on our computers.. AND it is the same page (view.php) that grabs the info for the other subjects and they work for u guys..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Can one of you please post a screenshot of these missing links?

And if you're a bit tech-savvy too, could you <a href=mailto:james.king@boredofstudies.org>email me</a> a copy of the source code you're getting? (right-click -> view source)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't understand - I truly can't see from the code I've written how this could possibly be occurring.

Are you certain it's not a problem on your end? What browser are you using? Have you tried a later version, or a different one completely? Have you tried a complete refresh (CTRL-F5)? Are you able to access the English (Advanced) resources listed on the 'most recent additions' page? Are you certain the same problem doesn't occur with the resources for ANY other course?

Somehow, a perfectly normal link -

<code>&lt;a href=/courses/english/adv/2002_English_Advanced_T_Trial_Smiths_Hill.pdf&gt;PDF&lt;/a&gt; (238 KB)</code>

is ending up as an HTML comment -

<code>&lt;!--ref=/courses/english/adv/2002_English_Advanced_T_Trial_Smiths_Hill.pdf PDF --&gt; (238 KB)</code>

I really don't think it's our doing...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
I don't understand - I truly can't see from the code I've written how this could possibly be occurring.

Are you certain it's not a problem on your end? What browser are you using? Have you tried a later version, or a different one completely? Have you tried a complete refresh (CTRL-F5)? Are you able to access the English (Advanced) resources listed on ...
yeah, i think the problems with our end (esp. people who have xp) coz all the others who have this problem, have xp on them....

anyway yeah, i tried all your suggestions, i had ie version6...i even dowloaded netscape but it didn't work... also in the "recently added list" as well, the advanced english link does not show up but every thing else does...

i have attached the screenshot of a 4u page (for example) which works fine... hey, can u also explain to me the code thing:

did u mean that at your end, u submited it as links but at my end, the computer somehow takes it as a comment?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
here i attach the screenshot of "recently added items" page.

btw...i looked through the souce code of english advanced and i found the urls linking to the files...but when i tried it, it doesn't download (or work) either.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'm using Win XP and IE 6, and it works fine here...

Regarding the code, we have scripts on our server to automatically produce the resource pages you see. For example, the English (Advanced) page pulls the relevant modules out of our database, then retrieves any resources that match those modules, and prints out pretty tables listing those resources. I can give you the actual line of code that prints the link (though it wouldn't mean much unless you've done some programming), and there is no way for it to somehow morph into an HTML comment (HTML comments are ignored by web browsers and are denoted by enclosing text between <code>&lt;!--</code> and <code>--&gt;</code>).

Except that there must be a way, because that's what's happening... the error lies in the source code of the page that it's producing. I haven't the faintest clue how, but that's what's occurring. I'm very surprised it's also happening with the 'recent additions' page, because that one retrieves resources in a different way to the course pages.

And I'm even more surprised that the links don't work by themselves! Try these for me -
http://www.boredofstudies.org/cours...d_A_AITW-BraveNewWorld-BladeRunner_Joseph.pdf
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/english/adv/2002_EngAdv_A_BNWBR_Radio_McTaggart.pdf
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/english/adv/2001_EngAdv_T_Edmund_q.zip

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Erhm... try downloading the files I linked to... :) You CAN see those links... right?

There should be three links below where I said "Try these for me"? If you don't believe me... quote my post and you should see them!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey i found the links u wanted me to try by looking at the source and heck it doesn't work either...u know what i am gonna format my computer then i'll c. (this comp. i have is not even a month old). i think that i have been affected by the "advanced English" virus...the guy who made it must have hated english.:D

these were your links right?:

ww.boredofstudies.org/courses/english/adv/2002_English_Advanced_A_AITW-BraveNewWorld-BladeRunner_Joseph.pdf

ww.boredofstudies.org/courses/english/adv/2002_EngAdv_A_BNWBR_Radio_McTaggart.pdf

ww.boredofstudies.org/courses/english/adv/2001_EngAdv_T_Edmund_q.zip

note: i had to make it ww, instead of www, coz doing so will not make it go under the "url" tag-> which makes it dissapear in my comp. again

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Those were the links, yes... hmmmmmm... I'm extraordinarily intrigued now. Well, at least the problem isn't being caused by my code. :p

I have no idea what would make links 'disappear' like that for you... I'll try and look into it.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
hey remember, its not ONLY me who has the problem..:D
yeah, the screen shots u took, r exactly the same for me
and i couldn't see the links to try either (obviously, since they were a screen shot)
weird i say

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, can someone be kind enough zip up the all the advanced english resources and post them here as an attachment for those who have the "invisible link" problem??:( .... i'm (or we ;) )are specifically looking 4 the following texts:

BNW/BR
King Lear
Frontline

:D

T

tactic

quick question for the people who cant see the notes what ISP are you using..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)