English Advanced or English Standard (1 Viewer)

big_bang344

HSC
Is english advanced as hard as everyone makes it out to be? Is there that much of a difference between english standard when it comes to affecting our hsc mark? I want to know because i have an exam coming up and it will be the a deciding test to find put who gets dropped and who gets to stay in english advanced. If there is not much of a difference between standard and advanced then i will not have to worry too much about the test and instead, enjoy my last few days of year 10 :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I think advanced is a lot easier if you find writing comes easily to you, like your not just completely lost with essays and you might actually enjoy writing stories. But if you go into advanced and its not working out, its super easy just to drop back to standard but if you start in standard and want to move up, its a lot harder. Advanced texts are also more complex than standard, like you have to do a shakespeare. It just means that there's more to talk about, more relationship, more depth than just superficial stuff. Its really up to how strong you think you are at english and how much you like it. but anyway, good luck :)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
pick advanced, then you can always drop if you cant cope. Also the aligning of std is terrible!

Aysce

HSC
You're so lucky you got into advanced, it's so much more interesting D:

carpe_diem

HSC
I think advanced is a lot easier if you find writing comes easily to you, like your not just completely lost with essays and you might actually enjoy writing stories. But if you go into advanced and its not working out, its super easy just to drop back to standard but if you start in standard and want to move up, its a lot harder. Advanced texts are also more complex than standard, like you have to do a shakespeare. It just means that there's more to talk about, more relationship, more depth than just superficial stuff. Its really up to how strong you think you are at english and how much you like it. but anyway, good luck :)
+1
But, I've heard that if you do crap in advanced, it can pull your mark down, which is one reason why some people will choose not to do advanced. But I think advanced is WAY more interesting. :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Definitely pick advanced. It scales better, and the content really isn't any harder.

big_bang344

HSC
Remember guys, i havent gotten into advanced yet. There is still a test coming up to decide whether i get knto advanced. I just want to know whether it is much better than standard or just alright better. As i said up there, i want to enjoy my last few days of year 10. But if advanced is a lot better for my atar then i will try hard for the upcoming exam. Oh, and thanks for the solid advice there guys, especially Kimyia :)

enoilgam

HSC
DONT DO STANDARD for the following reasons:

1) It aligns poorly - in 2010 less than 5% of standard students got 80+ with only 64/32,000 getting a band 6. In comparison, 13% of students got a band 6 in advanced, with a further 43% getting a band 5 (Source http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2010_12_15140.html, http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2010_12_15130.html)
2) It is not that much easier than advanced, the questions on the final exam are of similar difficulty. The main difference in difficulty is the texts you study.

Standard english is the only subject which I would describe as an ATAR killer, there are absolutely no benefits in doing it over advanced.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah I know, I just used the term scale because it's more common, and it's simpler to understand.
True. I remember in Chemistry class one day we deviated to talk about "lies to children" - things that we say that are wrong, but we told them anyway because they were simpler to understand.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
True. I remember in Chemistry class one day we deviated to talk about "lies to children" - things that we say that are wrong, but we told them anyway because they were simpler to understand.
"White lies aren't real lies. They're just little things we need to say to make people feel better"

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh my god Advanced is 100x better. Yes, you still have to suffer belonging like every student, but you get a much broader scope of texts like twntieth century, shakespeare etc.

It seems at your school you don't get to pick your english, but I'd fight to at least do advanced in yr 11. You can always drop to Standard, people's GREATEST subject choice is regret is not picking Adv English.

big_bang344

HSC
I think I'll try in the test then. Thanks for the info guys. Oh, and if I happen to not "do too well" , can they drop me to standard or can they just recommend me to do standard? I heard that it works that way for all subjects. That the teacher can only give you advice or recommend you to do a subject and can't actually force you to drop. Is this true?

Aysce

HSC
Oh my god Advanced is 100x better. Yes, you still have to suffer belonging like every student, but you get a much broader scope of texts like twntieth century, shakespeare etc.

It seems at your school you don't get to pick your english, but I'd fight to at least do advanced in yr 11. You can always drop to Standard, people's GREATEST subject choice is regret is not picking Adv English.
+1

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, I would say just go hard out on the test you have to do. advanced is way more fun, way more interesting, and usually more marks so I know you want to chill at the end of year 10 but going hard out on this test will save you the trouble of suffering 2 years with standard english and regretting it. advanced is awesome so best of luck with your test...study hard. i hope this motivates you :)

carpe_diem

HSC
I think I'll try in the test then. Thanks for the info guys. Oh, and if I happen to not "do too well" , can they drop me to standard or can they just recommend me to do standard? I heard that it works that way for all subjects. That the teacher can only give you advice or recommend you to do a subject and can't actually force you to drop. Is this true?
One of my friends goes to a semi-selective school. She didn't do so well in her english adv prelim due to outside reasons and her school forced her to drop to standard. In our school I don't think they can force you, just recommend, so I guess it depends on the school.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard - almost impossible to get band 5/6
Advanced - band 5/6 achieved by most in course.
Don't do standard. You will kill yourself. Advanced isn't even that much harder.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Don't do Standard unless you can manage to get a rank in the top 5, module topics may not appeal to you and Advance scales a lot better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)