english advanced or extension 1 (1 Viewer)

jonowang

HSC
i need help choosing between english advanced or english extension 1. im pretty good at english and i got 86% in my yr 10 half yrly report at baulko. but im not too sure about extension 1 english. ive heard that it is alot of work for 1 unit, is that true? also what type of work can i expect to do in extension 1 english that i dont do in advanced?

kawaiinlove

HSC
you have to do advanced to be eligible for extension anyway. extension is better than advanced. pick it up. you can always drop it if you don't like it.

Last edited:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I heard it's a lot my in depth in analysis of texts and etc. I want to do Ext.1 eng too.

aya-chan

HSC
hmm. what other subjects are you doing? if you're doing 3u maths and 3u english and you go to baulko and you don't do anything out of school you're looking at ... 12units total right?

In any case, I think ext english would be a good idea ... because then you have a lot of choice next year ... ext1, or ext2, or drop to advanced.

jonowang

HSC
hmm. what other subjects are you doing? if you're doing 3u maths and 3u english and you go to baulko and you don't do anything out of school you're looking at ... 12units total right?

In any case, I think ext english would be a good idea ... because then you have a lot of choice next year ... ext1, or ext2, or drop to advanced.
im thinking of doing 3u eng 3u maths (gonna take 4 maths in yr12) economics (already accelerating that) business and pdhpe

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Ext 1 is way cooler than Advanced English. Pick it up and if you find that you dont like it you can always drop it end of prelim.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I heard Ext English helps with Advanced English cos it helps you with analysis of text and allows you to understand stuff better. Is that true?

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Basically I found Advanced English to be about 9 months behind Extension in terms of thought process (as in 9 months later we were starting to look at the same level of writing etc)

So even if you only do it for year 11, it will significantly improve your writing and critical thinking skills...

Oh and the texts are WAY more interesting.

aya-chan

HSC
im thinking of doing 3u eng 3u maths (gonna take 4 maths in yr12) economics (already accelerating that) business and pdhpe
well, if you're only going to do advanced english ... you'll have to do another subject. Which I suppose is sort of pointless if there's nothing you really want to do and you'll drop anyway. (I suppose you COULD continue doing it coz you're accelerating eco ...)

So yeah, I suggest doing ext english.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Well you can always just try it out and have a 'feel' for it, and if you dont like just drop it at the end of prelims or even before.. thats what most of the people at my school did anyway :)

maths94

HSC
Well you can always just try it out and have a 'feel' for it, and if you dont like just drop it at the end of prelims or even before.. thats what most of the people at my school did anyway :)
Agree with that. Just have a go and dis-like there is always that chance to go down.

mcromancer

HSC
Jono do 3u, its less hassle than picking up another subject which you're probably gonna drop in Yr12 anyway.

danal353

HSC
extension is a lot easier to handle than advanced since it's only one module for the whole year, it allows you to really get into it

HSC
you have to do advanced to be eligible for extension anyway. extension is better than advanced. pick it up. you can always drop it if you don't like it.
Completely right. English, whether Standard or Advanced, is compulsory. Extensions 1 and 2 (the latter being a one-year HSC course) are optional, but go into more depth than Standard and Advanced.
If you really enjoy English, then do 3U and maybe 4U in year twelve if you want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)