English Advanced trials help (1 Viewer)

plasticities

HSC
I can empathise since my chemistry knew absolutely nothing about chemistry and taught us only out of these booklets she prepared, but ended up not teaching whole segments. But I noticed that I couldn't do the questions, my grades were terrible so I got a tutor. And the same with studies of religion, my teacher refused to teach us, and only gave us handouts to summarise ourselves since she thought that would be better 'learning', so I did my own research and compiled notes from here and taught the course to myself and my friends so I'd understand it better. The point of this ramble is that, there are heaps of students with shit teachers, but you really got to have the drive to be resourceful and find other ways of learning, even though it should be your teachers job to do that.

And some advice for Hamlet, know your themes, have about 6 quotes to back each up, analyse them for techniques, then link the techniques back to theme. Also, it's imperative that you give your opinion on the text using some kind of scholarly resource, iirc. For the 50th Gate, have a thesis, weave your themes into it, have quotes to back the theme up, and techniques explaining it. Also, to cut the chase, essentially the markers want you to come to the conclusion that you need history AND memory equally to work together to paint the most accurate picture of a historical event since they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

And some final advice for Advanced English, the markers love structure. I always used a scaffold which had an introduction, 2 paragraphs for each theme, an opening/linking sentence for each paragraph, followed by quotes and techniques and a clincher and at the end a strong conclusion that only reiterates what I said throughout the essay.

iamorbid

HSC
I can empathise since my chemistry knew absolutely nothing about chemistry and taught us only out of these booklets she prepared, but ended up not teaching whole segments. But I noticed that I couldn't do the questions, my grades were terrible so I got a tutor. And the same with studies of religion, my teacher refused to teach us, and only gave us handouts to summarise ourselves since she thought that would be better 'learning', so I did my own research and compiled notes from here and taught the course to myself and my friends so I'd understand it better. The point of this ramble is that, there are heaps of students with shit teachers, but you really got to have the drive to be resourceful and find other ways of learning, even though it should be your teachers job to do that.

And some advice for Hamlet, know your themes, have about 6 quotes to back each up, analyse them for techniques, then link the techniques back to theme. Also, it's imperative that you give your opinion on the text using some kind of scholarly resource, iirc. For the 50th Gate, have a thesis, weave your themes into it, have quotes to back the theme up, and techniques explaining it. Also, to cut the chase, essentially the markers want you to come to the conclusion that you need history AND memory equally to work together to paint the most accurate picture of a historical event since they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

And some final advice for Advanced English, the markers love structure. I always used a scaffold which had an introduction, 2 paragraphs for each theme, an opening/linking sentence for each paragraph, followed by quotes and techniques and a clincher and at the end a strong conclusion that only reiterates what I said throughout the essay.
Seems to me there are no qualifications for teaching anymore. What I know so far is that I need a language technique (know nothing of since we did them in yr11), quote, link back to question, and a theme for each paragraph. Right?

What do you mean by a 'scholarly resource'? What one did you use for Hamlet?

naz111

HSC
YOU KNOW WHAT I HATE ABOUT THIS WEBSITE?the information in the advanced english section is outdated!!! ugghhh can someone plz check the new texts and update.

hernameisnoelle

HSC
I suggest that you start on your Area of Study. Considering the exam is tomorrow, I hope you have at least 2 related texts. They may ask you about belonging about your two related text. I don't know the likeliness of this occurring but I would want to be prepared. If you have your past essays and your feedback on it, edit your mistakes and add to it. You have tomorrow to fix your notes for Paper 2 but for now, I suggest you work on Paper 1.

I wouldn't worry so much on unseen texts, just remember all of your techniques. Fix up your essay on Belonging as well as having separate notes on the prescribed text. If you have poems like I do, I would suggest writing notes on each poem as you won't be able to predict what poem they might use. Though this is rare, there is still possibility of it happening. I suggest you start now.

Neptunes

HSC
Have they every asked for a prescribed text and TWO related text for Paper 1, Section III, Question 3?

iamorbid

HSC
I suggest that you start on your Area of Study. Considering the exam is tomorrow, I hope you have at least 2 related texts. They may ask you about belonging about your two related text. I don't know the likeliness of this occurring but I would want to be prepared. If you have your past essays and your feedback on it, edit your mistakes and add to it. You have tomorrow to fix your notes for Paper 2 but for now, I suggest you work on Paper 1.

I wouldn't worry so much on unseen texts, just remember all of your techniques. Fix up your essay on Belonging as well as having separate notes on the prescribed text. If you have poems like I do, I would suggest writing notes on each poem as you won't be able to predict what poem they might use. Though this is rare, there is still possibility of it happening. I suggest you start now.
I have started making an essay on belonging in preparation for tomorrow and yes we do poems of Peter Szcrynecki (or however you spell it). Are there techniques specific to poems? can you list some?

plasticities

HSC
Seems to me there are no qualifications for teaching anymore. What I know so far is that I need a language technique (know nothing of since we did them in yr11), quote, link back to question, and a theme for each paragraph. Right?

What do you mean by a 'scholarly resource'? What one did you use for Hamlet?
Yep thats right. I'd definitely suggest in that case you brush up on your techniques, since you can't do an english essay without them, try googling a bunch or something. For Hamlet our teacher gave us a booklet of these perspectives, so we had the romantic perspective, existential, psychological etc. I can't remember that well but I think I used the existential perspective, a writing by Ash Tekinay. Another pretty popular one was Samuel Coleridge I think, with the romantic perspective. Pretty much it's about taking another person's perspective of Hamlet, and I mean a credited author, philosopher etc. and adapting it to your essay so you give your opinion. E.g. "Ash Tekinay's existential perspective says this and that about Hamlet. I agree with this perspective because..." Or something along those lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)