English-Are you really learning anything? (1 Viewer)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
probably because youve talked yourself into not liking it.
alot of it is conceptual learning and i can understand people find that hard to put down into a well structured essay, ontop of all the techniques and quotes and all.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
err, ok.
i still think if youre writing well in other subjects, its just a block youve got with english.

tania O

HSC
EbonyTW said:
Totally! My teacher is incredibly dumb, nice lady just dumb...

But the hard thing about English is that it's subjective there's no right or wrong answers... just whatever your marker thinks.
dnt worri my teachers is dumber then yours lol u cant even understand coz he tlks werid and he dosent help us wit anything OMG i feel sorri me and u guys hw are we gona pass da hsc

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
haha, yes im serious. english probably ties with history as my favourite area of learning
It'd have to be, since you do 7 combined units of english and history. XD

.emma.

HSC
sooo.. whats everyones thoughts on what to write about for creative writing? my imagination and creativity has been completely stolen by dance. help please?
thanks xx

nicolaa

HSC
i agree with this 'peggy' girl... she appears to have her head screwed on
english should go die because listening tasks are the most ridiculous things in the world

....and diary entries

pretty sure i have learnt a big fat nothing from them

PEGGYYYYYYYY haha

peggy13

HSC
thanks 'nicolaa'

it's good to see someone who agrees english is basically just bs about other bs that comes from analysing bs.

HSC
Uni Grad
Sometimes I think we actually analyse this
SOOOOOOOOOO much that I'm not even sure the composers knew of these 'underlying messages' they were inadvertently puting in. Seriously, when we analyse things we go primarily by what we or our teacher thinks but did they actully meet the writer, course not!

HSC
N/A
Phoenix Fury said:
Sometimes I think we actually analyse this
SOOOOOOOOOO much that I'm not even sure the composers knew of these 'underlying messages' they were inadvertently puting in. Seriously, when we analyse things we go primarily by what we or our teacher thinks but did they actully meet the writer, course not!
That statement is so blatantly obvious it doesn't even deserve a decent response.

Jess007

HSC
woh....ext eng and ext hist...do u have a life at all out side school??

HSC
Jess007 said:
umm, school only takes up your whole life if you're really shit at time management (or if all you do is study). taking up extensions =/= no life.

that being said, i wouldn't pick up extension myself, but english is one of my favourite subjects. it's not that difficult to get good marks in it, you just have to interpret the text and use techniques and examples.

i always read comments of people saying the work is stupid and irrelevant to life. well, i think half the point is the SKILLS you gain from it. essay structure, analytical skills, etc, which are helpful for other subjects.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Jess007 said:
i have a great social life if you were reffering to me
=]

pezdog

HSC
I hate english......it is always just analyse a text and write an essay on it. Again. And Again

As for it not being subjective - this is the difference between a band 5 and a band 6 response in the HSC:

Band 6:
demonstrates extensive, detailed knowledge, insightful understanding and sophisticated evaluation of the ways meanings are shaped and changed by context, medium of production and the influences that produce different responses to texts.
Band 5​
demonstrates detailed knowledge, perceptive understanding and effective evaluation of the ways meanings are shaped and changed by context, medium of production and the influences that produce different responses to texts

You cant tell me that saying an essay demonstrates perceptive understanding but not insightful understanding is not subjective​

HSC
pezdog said:
I hate english......it is always just analyse a text and write an essay on it. Again. And Again

As for it not being subjective - this is the difference between a band 5 and a band 6 response in the HSC:

Band 6:
demonstrates extensive, detailed knowledge, insightful understanding and sophisticated evaluation of the ways meanings are shaped and changed by context, medium of production and the influences that produce different responses to texts.
Band 5​
demonstrates detailed knowledge, perceptive understanding and effective evaluation of the ways meanings are shaped and changed by context, medium of production and the influences that produce different responses to texts

You cant tell me that saying an essay demonstrates perceptive understanding but not insightful understanding is not subjective​
That's why there is a moderation process. Your essay gets read by at least 2 people and the average mark is taken, and if the difference between 2 people's opinions is greater than a certain amount it will be referred to another person.

It's also not just about the understanding displayed, but how it is written. If it succinct, well expressed etc.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
its important to remember they -try- to never let poor expressing hide excellent conceptual understanding.

so while you may write at a band 2 standard, if you have a band 6 level of understanding, you will gain marks

pezdog

HSC
veloc1ty said:
That's why there is a moderation process. Your essay gets read by at least 2 people and the average mark is taken, and if the difference between 2 people's opinions is greater than a certain amount it will be referred to another person.

It's also not just about the understanding displayed, but how it is written. If it succinct, well expressed etc.
Fair enough

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I dunno whether or not I'm learning anything - but I enjoy English.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
english is teaching you valuable life skills, as i keep saying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)