english comparative study (1 Viewer)

poOcaliciOus

HSC
hey ..
studying for prelimz .. english .. just wondering wat comparative studies you did? i did the great gatsby and talented mr ripley .. =)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Shine (film) and Maestro (novel).

Shine was enjoyable, Maestro... not so much.

P

pLuvia

we did.. bridget jones diary and pride and prejudice, both really crap.. was about to do talented mr ripley and death of a salesmen

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
kadlil said:
we did.. bridget jones diary and pride and prejudice, both really crap.. was about to do talented mr ripley and death of a salesmen
[SIZE=-2]sounds interesting! -- a lot of our ee1 students did that... they had to make an appropriation or soemthing along those lines.
lol`` we did maestro as aos...(term 1)
our comparative was sylvia plath's 3 women, and the simpsons...``
all those english sessions we spent analysing simpsons....... really starts to "intellectualize" your perception of a seemingly ordinary cartoon show.
and it actually seems funny, now that I get its jokes. lol :D:D[/SIZE]

boo__forschool

i just finished my adv english exam. very fun. funny everyone did the great gatsby. my related texts were american beauty & interstate 60.

P

pLuvia

whats appropriation??, isn't just a transformation or is that the same??

P

pLuvia

oh ok, i understand thanks~~ :D:D, like the different texts have similar themes, contexts, somewhat similar plots etc.. right? we never got taught that :(

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
kadlil said:
whats appropriation??, isn't just a transformation or is that the same??
appropriations of a text are different texts that are similar in ideas, etc. Whereas a transformation of a text is more a different way of presenting the same text. Eg the film "O" is a transformation of Othello; MASH is an appropriation of Catch 22.
at least, I think that's right. That's what we were told anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)