English Ext. 1 Notes from Marking Centre 2003 (1 Viewer)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hi guys.

thought i might like to draw your attention to this.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2003exams/pdf_doc/english_ext1_er_03.pdf
(EDIT: broken link fixed :))

the notes from the marking centre come out every year and it is my belief that a lot of students don't read them or take them as seriously as they should.

for those of you who are doing RFTG these are a few handy points which i think you should be aware of, from what the markers have been saying.

1) they eat the ideas of critical theorists or analysts for breakfast. if you can quote them, to support your argument go for it!!!

2) they are looking for "good quality supplementary texts" this means :
a) texts which fit with the module and elective
b) texts which are relevant ie: don't do a renaissance painting as a supp for the Shipping News.
c) texts which are new and fresh: ie. paintings, postmodern films etc.

3) TECHNIQUES, TECHNIQUES, TECHNIQUES!!!! many ee1 students do this effectively in advanced and then don't do it in extension. you MUST. that is what lifts your response out from the rest. it is also worthwhile to note that for the 3 marks for a technique question you must

name the technique --> provide a quote --> state what it does TO PROVIDE MEANING TO THE TEXT AND to the CONCEPT

TOO many students neglect the final bit and the students who do it are the ones that get into the top bands.

4) DON'T use a prepared essay. they can tell, they don't like it and they will mark you down.

5) DON'T generalise. especially for retreat. don't go global bad, local good. they hate it

please, all of you, don't think i'm telling you what to do here. i'm summarising WHAT THE MARKERS SAID. do this, and you will do well. :)

the very best of luck to you all :)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
But do we really need to give a quote? I've often paraphrased or given a discription of the "example" rather than giving a direct quote, particularly when it's an extremely long quote or a quote that's difficult to understand.

Props for the thing about techniques though - "Techniques" is my ee1 teacher's favourite word... second only to "baboon"...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
paraphrasing is the same as quoting isn't it? if you are taking an example or and excerpt from the text then thats what they are after, merely an example of the said technique.

i guess what i was getting at, is that its not enough to say, this is juxtaposition, without stating WHAT is juxtaposed.

hope that made sense

tRiXsTa

HSC
2004 Hsc Notes ??

Hey, does anyone know where we could get the 2004 HSC Notes from the Marking Centre for Extension 1 English?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)