English Help Needed (1 Viewer)

WorryWartCob

HSC
I need some help!

i have studied so hard.
every time i attempt a practice essay for english! it sounds absolutely terrible
and I have nothing. I absolutely cannot focus or write anything good.. I have tried so much but still nothing... gah. anyway to help?

im not a scab. i just need help.
ranks 30/65 not bad.! so thanks!

My texts are
Kenneth Slessor
As You Like It
BR and Frankenstein
Fifteith Gate

Any help or evidence would be greatly appreciated.

addicts

Officially Insane
HSC
Re: English Help Needed - No-one reads the english area

Well practise makes perfect, maybe you just need to get in the zone for english. Personally I have written all my practise essays, but i'm not trying to memorise them word for word or anything. I think it just helps my thought process and allows me to plan out my ideas/themes and what the point of my essay will be. Also I find that reading really helps, It may be strange but really reading my texts (and re reading them) helps me identify with them a bit more and puts me in 'the zone' to write a good essay.

Otherwise just show all the essays you write to your teacher to get feedback, and then re write them.

crimson_delight

HSC

I'm no master at English, but what I tend to do is basically learn my techniques, and my main arguments from each text, so for AYLI, I'll write in dot-points exactly what the play conveys about Belonging, and the textual evidence for it (techniques within the play). This might be the notion of primogeniture in terms of belonging to family and place, and where it applies in the text (e.g. relationship between Orlando/Oliver and some specific language techniques); or the use of the Bakhtininian Carnivalesque space and how it provides a sense of belonging and acceptance from those who have been exiled from the deception and cruelty of the Court, etc. And then just look at a past question for whatever topic (e.g. Belonging, in this case) you studied, and write whatever comes to your mind in relation to the question. I know it's difficult, and requires a lot of drive. I suck at English (don't ask me why I do Extension) but it's the only thing that might work for me. Others use mind-maps before commencing an essay; either way, you need to practice the full essay in timed conditions (multiple times) to get better.

Good luck, feel free to PM me if necessary! :)

WorryWartCob

HSC

sweet! good advice lad.

but the fact is i cant focus on writing a essay for it. other subs i can!

WorryWartCob

HSC

YOU BEAUTIFUL HUMANS

i might leave it a few days.
im not getting anywhere with it. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)