English Othello Task (1 Viewer)

StaceyK293920

HSC

Task for weeks six to seven

Personal Journeys are always positive experiences.

What is the nature of the personal journey as represented in your prescribed text, Othello?
  • demonstrate how well you understand and reflect upon the concept of personal journeys in Othello
  • support your arugment with close textual reference and demonstrated understanding of language techniques
  • how well you compose a well-integrated response in the essay text type, using language appropriate to audience, purpose and context
Word count: 800 to 1000 words

Would anyone happen to have any ideas or would be able to provide a few tips for each dotpoint? Thanks.​

bored of sc

HSC
StaceyK293920 said:
[/center]

Would anyone happen to have any ideas or would be able to provide a few tips for each dotpoint? Thanks.[/b]​
Othello shows us that personal journeys are not always a positive experience. Othello suffers a terrible tragedy. He is manipulated by Iago and this ultimately leads to his tragic fate. Othello's journey represents the binary opposties of the positive and negative aspects to a journey. Othello begins as a heroic, sophisticated, calm, confident, kind, bombastic and optimistic military Genrel living the life of a chivalric warrior. However it is an antagonistic presense (Iago) who uses deception, wit and intellect to ruin Othello's life. Othello kills his wife and then commits suicide, thus revealing personal journey's are not always positive experiences.

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
Othello shows us that personal journeys are not always a positive experience. Othello suffers a terrible tragedy. He is manipulated by Iago and this ultimately leads to his tragic fate. Othello's journey represents the binary opposties of the positive and negative aspects to a journey. Othello begins as a heroic, sophisticated, calm, confident, kind, bombastic and optimistic military Genrel living the life of a chivalric warrior. However it is an antagonistic presense (Iago) who uses deception, wit and intellect to ruin Othello's life. Othello kills his wife and then commits suicide, thus revealing personal journey's are not always positive experiences.
Wow nice analysis. You're really good at English bored of sc, but why do you happen to have a angry face next to Advanced English? Isn't it meant to be ':D'? lol xD

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Wow nice analysis. You're really good at English bored of sc, but why do you happen to have a angry face next to Advanced English? Isn't it meant to be ':D'? lol xD
As much as he doesn't want to admit it - he has a flair for English - and a heart of gold. If only everyone was like him.

bored of sc

HSC
Trust me - english is my weakness! I usually get B's in the 70's for it. But I am trying hard to improve :)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
In your thesis you should bring up the nature of appearance and reality as an idea because it's present throughout the journeys of all the main characters.

renny 123

HSC
Maybe refer to some contextual influences such as how the setting of the play has influenced the characters
eg. Venice at the start of the play- shows the characters initial stability, rational calm thinking, decency and cool blooded decorum
as apposed to the world of cyprus where they enter a chaotic wold of irrational thought, instability, unpredictability, their animality emerges in the darkness of mans heart :D

wendybird

HSC
In Othello, there is a correlation between the physical journey related personal state.

As the setting moves from the civilised Venetian society to Cyprus; an outpost of the known world there is an unravelling of social structures, the upholding of justice and a "civilised" mode of behaviour.

This can be reflected in the character Othello's personal journey from an elegaic statesman who is an upholder of peace whilst in Venice to his slow disintegration upon reaching Cyprus where he is perhaps subject to less of the passivating forces of a developed Venetian society.

------

Other themes to talk about could be a focus on Othello's race and his displacement among White society and subsequent feelings of a divided self/isolation etc.

:)

agua.fuego

HSC
bored of sc said:
Trust me - english is my weakness! I usually get B's in the 70's for it. But I am trying hard to improve :)
Yeah, but you still manage to sound like a complete genius in class. You could have my problem... you know, I babble on for an hour which can then be summarised in about 3 words.

--

I went for a more social angle though to Othello, as well as that the journey of realisation that the world is not the way we always view it. The thread here has some ideas:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=167477

jazzbaby

HSC
I have to do an essay on my interpretation of othello as a character in the play. Due in 2 weeks and i have not started. God help me.

agua.fuego

HSC
I just got an Othello assignment. Didn't actually address the question, but I still got 15/20. And I sounded reasonably smart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)