English Othello (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
In my school we're studying Othello. I don't understand a single word. Would it still be okay if I read a translation of the book and understand, or is it necessasry that I understand Shakespearean language.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
First of all it's not a book, it's a play. And also, how do you intend to use quotes then?

I thought Othello was just for Advanced English...

bored of sc

HSC
acevipa said:
In my school we're studying Othello. I don't understand a single word. Would it still be okay if I read a translation of the book and understand, or is it necessasry that I understand Shakespearean language.
I am also doing Othello, but don't give up on it. I'm with you when you say "I don't understand it" cause it's practically written in jibberish for us. But with that said, try to understand it. The book I have is great because it has page summaries and word-translations, but you still have to get the best grasp on the actual Shakespearen lyric so you can use quotes/evidence to give your writing/ideas more worth/credibility. I say: STICK WITH IT. View it as a film, or play because that's what it is and film-versions make it easier to understand the action/setting etc. I plan on hiring out a film version. So hang in there, its a really good book (or so I've been told) once you get your head around the whole Shakespearean language crap.

F-O-B

HSC
lol @ sparknotes...that site has saved me so many times in the past!

we're doing Othello atm..i'm Emilia, hah.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Wow I wasn't informed about 'sparknotes'. For what subjects are they especially good for? I looked at the Othello link posted by Yvette, and they look alright :D.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
i agree with the sparknotes, it got me 1st place in the yearly in yr 11 (never read my txts, with the exception of Othello)

read a section of Othello, then read the summary on sparknotes. Try to understand what that section means, and then re-read the section. You should be able to get a better grasp on it this way.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
blahmeh said:
You havent heard of othello....shock horror

thats like not hearing of like google for people using the internet

:D :D

Its good for english and analysing texts
If you read my post properly you would have seen that I've read Othello.

Its a brilliant play.

westronham

HSC
What usually helps me with Shakespeare is to read up on sparknotes before you start to get the basics. Then when you read you should have a better understanding of what's goin on in the text and after you finish reading, re-read on sparknotes and try go more in-depth.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
We're doing Othello in Term 3. At the moment, we're doing TS Eliot and "Identity" in 2U Advanced.

Extension 1 - we're doing Utopia/Dystopias.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)