english paper 1 - section three (1 Viewer)

Dirty_Sanchez

HSC
With the english paper 1 for section three where it states "refer to your prescribed text, 1 from the stimulus booklet and at least one of your own choosing" how many texts do you have to use for your prescribed text my friend say you just need two and then do two of your own choosing instead of one but my teachers say you need three from your prescribed????

I go to a pretty average rural school and my mate goes to a very high class city school so i trust what he tells me but i want to confirm....

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Re: Can someone tell me whats the go?

im assuming ur doing skrzynecki judging by ur post... if ur not i do apologise. We've always been told to do 2 poems in detail, referring briefly to a third or fourth, 1 stimulus text and TWO related texts... they stress two related because it shows greater depth of understanding and research into the topic than just one.

Dirty_Sanchez

HSC

Yeah i am doing Skrzynecki, ive got about 150 words for the two peoms i do, will i get marked down for not using a third poem?

karoooh

HSC

I've been told 2 is fine, because you can have enough time to have an indepth discussion for both. You could do three but you might not end up writing much for them due to time and lose out on marks.

HSC
Yes I am doing Skrzynecki as well but i'm doing 3 poems so i'll have to write really fast

Dr_Doom

HSC
I originally had 3 for Skrzynecki, but the advice line said only to have 2 and left it at that :|

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
It is better to do two poems really well than three that are really crap.

iladys

HSC
I had a friend who attempted to do the 5 poems prescribed to us from Ken Watson's Imagined Corners. Bad idea.

My teacher said knowing 2 poems indepth is good enough but if you can do three, that's even better. Im keeping it at 2 poems because I can synthesise and balance the texts better. What Tamora said is true though, if you choose a stimulus or related text, choose a different text type. Some people in my school lost some marks because our prescribed text is poetry and they chose Margaret Atwood's poem as their stimulus. The markers are looking for a range of texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)