English related text? (1 Viewer)

Nadiaa

HSC
Hey there
im having trouble choosing my related text. My set text is "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri.
For a related text i heard its always good to have one visual text.
Can you give me ideas of what text to do. I have no idea what to choose.

For those of you who are lost like i am, here is a list of text that you can choose from.
Belonging

I just dont know which one to do, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Nadiaa

HSC

is it always good to hav a visual text?
what related text did you guys use for ur hsc?

laila09

HSC
Most teachers will recommend that you have 2 related texts that are different to your prescribed and other related text. E.G. no 2 plays, no 2 songs, no 2 movies.
However it really doesn't matter what you have.
If you write about it well the marker couldn't care less.

This year many people did 2 different styles of related material and did CRAP.
While others did 2 films and went GREAT.

And no its not essential that you do visual text's. This is rather hard and more challening to get good marks then doing something simple like a poem.

If you however feel you are better at doing a visual rather then a poem etc. then I think you should do it. :eek:

Basically I can't tell you which text to choose, it is all upto you.
Look through the list and choose the one that you like the best. The one that you feel a personal connection with and can write about best. That way you will get much better marks then having a random telling you to do a text that could be over used or not that great. :eek:

Best of luck and I'm sure you will be fine. :spin:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You don't necessarily have to do a visual text - but just make sure your related texts aren't of the same text type as your core texts. This is because you want to show examiners that you are capable of analysing a variety of different text types, and so you wanna choose as many different text types as possible.

My core text was Peter Skyrznecki's Immigrant Chronicles (poems), and my core texts were a novel (Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe), and John Ford's 1940 film, Grapes of Wrath. :)

determine

Premium Member
HSC
You don't necessarily have to do a visual text - but just make sure your related texts aren't of the same text type as your core texts. This is because you want to show examiners that you are capable of analysing a variety of different text types, and so you wanna choose as many different text types as possible.

My core text was Peter Skyrznecki's Immigrant Chronicles (poems), and my core texts were a novel (Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe), and John Ford's 1940 film, Grapes of Wrath. :)
you mean 'your related texts' were the ones you listed! haha. :) just thought I'd correct you there in case it confused the OP.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh yeah, I meant related texts. My bad. :)

Dora Explorer

HSC
So what marks did you get in adv english for you to have gotten such an awesome atar?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Are you talking to determine or me? Determine's ATAR and marks are in her signature. I got 95 in English.

Dora Explorer

HSC
oh yeah lol sorry, no i was meaning you

wow thats an amazing mark. I just wanted to know how you get a mark like that, did you have all your essays prepared then adapted it to the question, or how did you prepare your notes for english?

And with a thesis, do have one then use it to answer the question or should you have a few thesis' at hand?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well pretty much, if you're aiming for a state rank (or close to it, like determine), I wouldn't recommend memorising, because to get a state rank, you need to go beyond excellent, and become extraordinary, and that can only be achieved by answering the question so well, that you blow the markers' minds.

For the rest of us mere mortals, 95/96 is more than enough. :p Personally, I memorised my essays, word for word. Note, this worked for me, it did not work for others, and it may not work for you. You need to experiment, and find what works for you. Some of my best friends did equally whilst not memorising. Others did worse whilst memorising - it's all dependent on the type of person you are - I don't know who you are, so I cannot tell.

So to answer your question - I prepared all my essays, and adapted it to the question. Preparing notes for English was really just writing out my essays like 5 times before the exam.

My thesis was quite general, it was a cookie-cutter-one-size-fits-all sort statement, that could be adapted to any sort of question. Others had a few theses at hand, I decided to have one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)