English Standard- IMAGE (1 Viewer)

Cheltychick

I just wrote this essay and im full stressing out.. i need to do in english cause im doing standard and therefore my uai will we scaled down if i dont do well.. can someone read this and tell me what they think and if they have n e suggestion!? That would be awesome! thanks

Image is a very powerful form of communication, which a director such as Baz Luhrmann can use to portray a certain view to his audience; his can be analysised in his film Strictly Ballroom. Pictures are another way to illustrate an image, this can be seen from the pictures in the article In favour or against: Mayhem on the streets by Bruce Wilson (SMH 22/3/03). Cinderella the story by Charles Perrault is a fairy tale that Baz is trying to mimic in his film. Baz Luhrman uses different techniques to achieve the images he does. These include camera angles, sound and lighting as well as costumes, make up and dialogue. Each character has been developed by these techniques to be able to represent the images they do.
There are several camera techniques that Luhrmann uses. To show a character of a superior value for example Barry Fife over another character of lesser value such as Doug, Luhrmann uses a high angle so that Barry Fife is looking down on Doug showing his insecurity and seclusion of his character. For the opposite idea Luhrmann would use a low angle to show an elevated character such as Shirley on an innocent character such as Fran. Extreme close ups are used to emphasis a particular point or emotion the character is feeling. Such as when Barry says, there will be no new steps the camera slams into a close up of his mouth to stress his point. A close up of Riccos feet when he is dancing shows his skill and talent compared to Scott who is just learning the real Paso Doble.
Luhrmann uses a long shot to show the setting of the scene such as when Scott and Fran are dancing on the roof of the dance studio with the coca-cola sign in the background and the old (great Australian icon) hills hoist clothes line. Luhrmann creates the mis en scene to develop the atmosphere of the ballroom, costumes and crowds.
Luhrmann uses different volumes of light and compositions of sounds to expand on a particular image. Such as in the world of ballroom dancing, intense phony light is used with spotlights. The unnatural light enables all the costumes to be seen in great detail. All the colours, frills, feathers and sequence build the abnormality of the world. Spotlights are used to isolate certain main couples from the rest of the competitors. Special effects such as swooshing sounds when Scott performs his leaps and the cheers from the crowd create supportive environments to the image being illustrated.
The unique use of costume and makeup for each character creates a sense of individuality and humour. Barry Fifes obviously fake hairpiece, nylon suits and the way he spits out commands clearly shows that he is the villain of the film.
Shirley Hastings is Scotts pushy stage mother who is trying to live her dreams through her son is the wicked mother of the film, as the camera shows close ups of her snarling mouth and they way she falsely smiles Ive got my happy face on today. Her use of lipstick and make up matches the vulgarity of her costumes. She is still caught up in the world of ballroom dancing hence the dislike to her husbands individuality You stupid man.
Doug Hastings is Scotts nervous father. He still carries a respect for creativity, individuality and is a man of real values. Son, it was the dancing that mattered.. We had the chance. But we were too scared. We walked away. We lived out lives in fear. This is shown by his choice of clothing, the brown pants and joggers suggest that he is a down to earth human who has escaped the glitz and glamour of the dancing lifestyle.
The prince, Scott Hastings was raised to conform to the world of strictly ballroom but through his growth and maturity shows a talented and artistic man. As he tries to break away from the rule bound dance federation Luhrmann uses contrasting costumes to show the different images. When hes dancing strictly ballroom Scott wears the gold sequenced costume his mother designed for him but as hes dancing from the heart he wears black and white, showing the viewer that hes not hiding anything its all from the heart.
Frans a beginner dancer and is seen as the ugly duckling. Shes the under dog who only succeeds through sheer will power, dedication and determination. Much of the romantic interest and dramatic intensity come from the transformation of Fran. The most pivotal point in the film for Fran is when Scott removes her glasses. Her hair becomes de-frizzed, the blemishes on her face are cleared up, and her clothing no longer looks like a sack but as a nice fitted dress showing her womanly figure. There is just the hint of make up but its her true individual beauty that is shining through. This is when Scott realizes I think I made a mistake when retelling her about the dance of love, the Rumba.
Ya Ya is Frans Grandma and the noticeable fairy godmother. She herself is a dancer but its her charming warmth and admiration for Scotts body that gives her that image. Its her that drums the passionate beat into Scotts chest that allows him to open his heart and look for passion in his own life.
Charles Perraults writings of the story Cinderella show the transformation of Cinderella. Originally she is dressed in ratty clothing Oh yes! She said But I must go thither as Im in these nasty rags. As her fairy godmother grants her wish of wanting to go to the ball, she arranges an outfit for her Her clothes were turning into cloth of gold and silver all beset with jewels the prettiest in the world. Fran is the Cinderella of Strictly Ballroom her transformation is vital in the development of the images trying to be created by Baz Luhrmann.
The pictures seen in the article In favour or against: Mayhem on the streets by Bruce Wilson are very conflicting. Picture one Student Lindsey More supports the war yesterday by holding as sign saying Honk if you love America, support the troops. From this picture its easy to tell that shes proud to be an American, not only do the stars and stripes of the American flag dominate the picture by appearing on her bikini, sign, and massive flag behind her but her stance and posture is strong. Its up right and stable, this feeling is reinforced by the proud expression on her face. The camera angle is low showing her importance in the image.
In the second picture Demonstrators protest en masse in Pakistan yesterday Shows a mass of Pakistani woman holding signs saying No War on Iraq. The camera is level with them showing that they may have the same views of the reader and are not powerful enough to do anything about it. Both pictures show only women as to suggest because of their gender they are unable to stop what ever the men of the higher achy positions decide to do.
Images are a powerful means of communication, which easily fills the readers mind with certain pictures and thoughts. Baz Luhrmann uses costumes, sound, lighting and camera angles to get that image across the to the viewer in a fairy tale form of Strictly Ballroom similar to Cinderella. Whilst Bruce Wilson uses the images shown in his article to reinforce the ideas proposed in his text.
:)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
hey chelty the essay over all is pretty good.
i reckon you jumping around in bits and pieces.. maybe you should fully analyse a scene . You describe some scenes but most of it seems to be analysing the characters..

elfgal

dont feel bad, yeah overall it's def. a decent essay and you raise some good points.
i like the way you link the theme of Cinderella with that of Strictly Ballroom, and then compare the texts :)
but yeah, just some constructive criticism -
it sounds a little like you've just written out your english notes from this year in paragraphs. don't worry abt this too much - it could well be coz u dont seem to have written this essay in response to a question. but remember in the hsc you must relate your answer directly back to the question, so i wouldnt recommend learning this essay word for word - just keep the key points in mind, coz they're pretty good :D
to improve your essay, i would try to identify techniques which are similarly used in all your texts, and then draw upon these observations to make general statements about how composers use image.
for example, in your analysis of all three texts you observe that the composer uses image to achieve characterisation. but u dont go that one step further and say this, so the marker doesnt kno what uve learned on a general scale from studying the texts. a different way to approach this essay (without altering your content much at all) would b to say in ur 1st paragraph something like: composers of all textual mediums use image to achieve characterisation. This is demonstrated in the film strictly ballroom, the narrative cinderella and the article mayhem on the streets.
then go on to support this with examples, which is basically the body of your current essay.
this demonstrates analysis, rather than mere observation (ie it demonstrates that you're able to interpret your observations on a general scale), which shows a higher level of sophistication.
yeah, dont take this negatively, you're essay is practically there, just try and think of how you can link your observations to each other, and try to come up with general statements about them :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)