Englisih Assessment - Visual texts etc. (1 Viewer)

Dyldodeath

HSC
Just seeing if anyone had any suggestions for a few things in an english assessment.
Area of study - change
1. Visual text
2.a poem or song
3. a web page
4. one film
5. feature article

we have to respond to all of these by analysing up to 500 words each.
so yeah just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for wat to analyse?
cheers

p.s I know i wrote English wrong lol

Last edited:

ewd

HSC
the film Pleasantville
poetry by Bruce Dawe
some schools are doing the book Mao's Last Dancer
ummm
Any of Obama's speeches
Or Martin Luther King's 'I Have A Dream'

georgia-ellen

HSC
Yeah we did change as our area of study essay in year 10
Here's the draft essay I did, I couldn't find the one I edited
I haven't read it in about a year so if it's sorry then crap but maybs some inspiration?

CHANGE

To undergo change is to become different in essence, losing ones original nature. Change as a theme is very powerful and is used in text of all genres. To demonstrate the potency of change three different texts will be examined: a novel; a film; and a political speech. The novel, Maestro by Peter Goldsworth,y the film Gridiron Gang directed by Phil Joanou and the Apology Speech given by Kevin Rudd in February this year. These three texts all help viewers comprehend different types of change and the effects of these changes.

Maestro is a story about self-discovery and learning. The primary plot follows a teenage boy named Paul Crabbe and the evolution of his relationship with his piano teacher, Eduard Keller. This primary plot is supported by other sub-plots throughout the novel that demonstrates Paul’s journey to understand himself and grow through the knowledge gained. We see at the beginning of the novel, Paul believes Herr Keller is a crazy old man, and as he does not understand his methods he does not respect him. Paul ignorantly claims that Keller is a “nazi”. However through the novel Paul learns more about Keller’s past and he realises how naïve he had previously been. He goes as far to claim that Keller is in fact “like a father to me”. Paul experiences change, not just through his relationship with his piano tutor, but also as he undergoes the changes of puberty. Paul begins to fit in at school and his musical talent makes him “cool”. He develops a romantic relationship with a girl named Rosie, and becomes sexually active. Throughout the journey of the novel Maestro readers begin to understand different types of change, through new relationships and personal growth.

Whilst Maestro demonstrates the change through an individual’s journey, the film Gridiron Gang shows the progressive change through the learning and support of a group. The story is about a bunch of teenagers at a juvenile detention centre, who nobody believed in, until one man offered to coach them in a football team. The coach initially takes a ‘tough love’ approach with the teenagers: ”On the Gridiron, we do it my way, not your way. Your way got you here. Whatever gang you claim, whatever hood you're from, this is your hood now.” He tries to show them that they can change their lives and not end up like some of the people they knew from their old gangs. The boys each have separate issues to deal with and all have separate journeys however as the story evolves, the coach shows them that as team they can have an impact on each other and achieve more than anyone one of them alone. The support and love shown by the coach, Sean Porter, allows them to grow and change to mostly positive outcomes. An example of this is when the assistant coach says “Man, that kid is always smiling”, commenting on one of the boys happy attitudes. We see the evidence of the change through the reply of Sean Porter: “Yeah, but I wonder if he was smiling when he stabbed an old woman to death for her purse”. This shows that the behaviour and outlook of the boys has changed, just by being cared for by someone they respect. The film “Gridiron Gang” shows viewers how a group of people can change and progress when they are simply thrown into a new environment.

The 12th January, 2008 marks a significant date in Australian political history. On this day Kevin Rudd offered an apology to the indigenous tribes of Australia. This speech is regarded as a catalyst for change, as it will hopefully allow the past to be forgotten and a positive future to begin: “The time has come now for the nation to turn a new page in Australia’s history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future”. This speech describes a new milestone in the relationship between white Australian’s and indigenous Australian’s and with each milestone comes change. Most milestones that previously occurred in this relationship were negative, due to white Australia’s ignorance, but now finally the indigenous tribes were recognised. The desired outcome for this method is “to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity”. The Apology Speech performed by Kevin Rudd is a great text to help viewers further understand change, as it is a catalyst for change that clearly describes the desired outcome.

Three texts that help viewers further understand change are “Maestro” by Peter Goldsworthy, the film “Gridiron Gang” directed by Phil Joanou and the Apology Speech by Kevin Rudd. These texts all support different ideas, but follow the general theme of change. The first two texts, “Maestro” and “Gridiron Gang” shared the idea of journey, where in order for them to change themselves they must learn more about themselves and their environment. However, “Maestro” further focuses on the self-discovery side of learning that help him develop, whereas “Gridiron Gang” shows that people can change themselves when someone believes in them and supports them.
The apology speech by Kevin Rudd is quite different, as it is about a political and social change, and not as much change that has progressed through a journey. This speech acts as a catalyst to allow the past to be acknowledged, but make sure that the future is different. These texts all help viewers further understand the concept of change, representing catalysts for change, different types of change and the possible effects and responses to change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)