Entrance with ATAR below the cut-off. (1 Viewer)

Willy6

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering how common it was for people to get into courses in the 80-85 range with ATAR's 2-3 points under the cut-off (after bonus points)?

I'm mainly interested in UTS, Maq and UNSW and Usyd to a lesser extent, thanks

astroman

HSC
depends on the course and the demand for the course, if the course is not filled up by the students who have met the cut-off (or eligibility requirements) The Uni will then allow those closest to the cut-off to fill in places until the course is full.

Willy6

HSC
N/A
depends on the course and the demand for the course, if the course is not filled up by the students who have met the cut-off (or eligibility requirements) The Uni will then allow those closest to the cut-off to fill in places until the course is full.
How common is it with science, engineering and commerce degrees at UTS and Maq?

Also, I've heard of people getting into certain courses from previous years such as Engineering at UTS with ATAR's below the cut-off after bonus points, yet uac states the ATAR cut-off is the lowest ATAR that was accepted the previous year.

astroman

HSC
it is common for engineering and science degrees, i know a friend doing electrical engineering at UTS with an atar of 71. He got in on the basis of the engineering questionnaire, a few bonus points, school location, and was accepted in the later rounds.

Willy6

HSC
N/A
He got in on the basis of the engineering questionnaire, a few bonus points, school location, and was accepted in the later rounds.
Did all these get him over the cut-off? because even after bonus points I'm under the cut-off by a bit.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you perform well in some subjects relevent to the degree, ie business studies or economics then you may get a 'bonus' point which contributes to the total ATAR for the course..

Willy6

HSC
N/A
whats ur atar and what is the atar required?
The three main ones Im interested in are at Macquarie Eng/Sci which I'm 3.65 away and Eng/Commerce which im 2.65 away from, and Sci/Commerce which im 2.1 away from.

The worst part is I was 2 marks away from 2 more band 5s which would have gotten me enough for each of these courses

astroman

HSC
u should hopefully get in, just wait and hope for the best, theres not much u can do now.

Willy6

HSC
N/A
If you perform well in some subjects relevent to the degree, ie business studies or economics then you may get a 'bonus' point which contributes to the total ATAR for the course..
yeah, I'm referring to after bonus points are taken into account

Anamagus

HSC
How common is it with science, engineering and commerce degrees at UTS and Maq?

Also, I've heard of people getting into certain courses from previous years such as Engineering at UTS with ATAR's below the cut-off after bonus points, yet uac states the ATAR cut-off is the lowest ATAR that was accepted the previous year.
I assume it's pretty common, my friend got into commerce at mac even though he was like 2 off.

waterlml

HSC
i think for commerce MQ is pretty common, few points off is okay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)