equi-what? (1 Viewer)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
HELP! I really need help with chemical equilibriums..you know... the if heated moves to the left or whatever...plz! I don't understand it....

gosh

you know that:
<b>if a system in equilibrium is disturbed, then the system will adjust itself so as it minimise the disturbance</b>
i tend to think of equilibrium as an unbalanced see-saw trying to level out

1.So if temperature is increased, the equation will move to the side with less heat.
In an exothermic reaction, more heat is on the right(product) so the equation will shift left to even out the temperature change.
In an endothermic reaction, more heat is on the left(reactant) so the equation will shift right to even out the temperature change

2.It is the opposite if temperature is decreased, the equation will move to the side with more heat.
In an exothermic reaction, more heat is on the right(products) so the equation will shift the right to even out the temperature
In an endothermic reaction, more heat is on the left(reactant) so the equation will shift left to even out the temperature change

i hope that helps a little
remember, an equilibrium reaction is always trying to acheive a balance between both sides

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
look, in really simple terms, an equilibrium is a reaction that works in both ways. you should know that a reaction consists of reactants and products like so: reactants==>products. in a reaction, this is what happens, but in an equilibrium, the reactants can form products and the products can again go back to the reactants. like what the le chatelier's principle states as the guy above said.

three things can cause the equilibruim to be disturbed or changed: a change in pressure, temperature or concentration(concentration is not included in gaseous equilibriums).

hope that explains something properly:)

funking_you

G'day,

Dr_Gorgeous said:
HELP! I really need help with chemical equilibriums..you know... the if heated moves to the left or whatever...plz! I don't understand it....

This is a very important concept to study, yet in saying that it is not difficult to master! Le Chatellier's Principle which governs chemical equilibriums is more common sense then chemistry, and with more study you will see this.
Not only is it required for Module 2: Chemical Equilibriums, it is fundemental to understanding Module 3: The Haber Process.
Furthermore, if you shall be studying Elective: Industrial Chemistry, this concept is of greater importance.

There is plenty of time to study and learn it before you Trail's, especially with the holiday at the moment; so i have attached a simple worksheet to the end of this post for you to download and study.

Best of luck, and if you have more questions, come back here and post them, for as you have just seem there are always people willing to help.

Cheers,
George

extra note: you will find more useful resources like this one at our growing HSC chemistry resource database. Click on the link below to go to our webpage and then go to 'Chem Tutorials'

HSC
hey those are really good revision notes, especially for one like me who really sucks at chemistry. we just covered the haber process before the start of the holidays, this will go well into holiday study :D

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Le chatlier's principle

If a system at equlibrium is disturbed, then the system adjusts itself as to minimise the disturbance

post the equlibrium eq and i will help you :)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
Le chatlier's principle

If a system at equlibrium is disturbed, then the system adjusts itself as to minimise the disturbance

post the equlibrium eq and i will help you :)
i will too :D

i'm studying chem, i wish people would ask more questions :p

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
me too
im gonna do ideas to implementation syllabus for physics and then i'll start doing syllabuses for chem :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)