• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

equilibrium (1 Viewer)

lilchezza

HSC
just wondering if someone could tell me that if a large copper sulfate crystal is placed in a hot solution of copper sulfate it is regarded as saturated and also why the solution would darken at first and then become lighter when at equilibrium?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The solution darkens because you chucked the copper sulfate crystal in, which instantly dissolves and increases the concentration of CuSO4 solution, making the solution a darker blue. I'm not fully sure about the solution getting lighter when at equilibrium, so I'll let someone else answer that. :)

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

lilchezza said:
just wondering if someone could tell me that if a large copper sulfate crystal is placed in a hot solution of copper sulfate it is regarded as saturated and also why the solution would darken at first and then become lighter when at equilibrium?
Is this a practical? or just a general question?

lilchezza

HSC
just a question that was on a homework sheet but my teachers away and we have a sub that isn't trained in chem so yea

OzV

HSC
N/A
You increase the solubility of copper sulfate in water by increasing the temperature. So if you heat a saturated solution of copper sulfate and place a large crystal in it more copper sulfate will dissolve in it (like making a super saturated solution) causing it to darken. When it cools down again, the solubility decreases causing some of the copper sulfate to come out of solution forming a solid crystalline structure again causing the sol'n to lighten. The equilibrium exists between the crystal and the saturated solution because the copper sulfate crystal is continually disassociating into Cu<sup>2+</sup> and SO<sub>4</sub><sup>2-</sup> ions and likewise these ions are coming out of solution and being deposited back onto the crystal at an proportional rate (CuSO<sub>4</sub>(s) <--> Cu<sup>2+</sup> + SO<sub>4</sub><sup>2-</sup> aka CuSO<sub>4</sub>(aq) )- which is why there will appear to be no change in the appearance of the crystal (actually the blue copper sulfate is hydrate copper sulfate and will be CuSO<sub>4</sub>.5H<sub>2</sub>0 - but for the purposes of this explanation it doesn't make a whole lot of difference).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)