Essay writing guide from a disgruntled tutor (1 Viewer)

pman

Banned
HSC
given that you've said we can't spot one...can someone tell a poor soul who really doesn't study languages, what the heck a split infinitive is...sounds like something involving maths to me (which would be prefered, cos then i'd know what it is)..also, whats a clause?

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
Hi Tacitus,

Thank you so much for this! Should help out a lot of people. I put it all in a word document for you as it is just easier to read.

given that you've said we can't spot one...can someone tell a poor soul who really doesn't study languages, what the heck a split infinitive is...sounds like something involving maths to me (which would be prefered, cos then i'd know what it is)..also, whats a clause?
Split Infinitive
Clause
Google is your friend
:spin:

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
In the simplest, most general sense a clause is a sense unit containing a verb.
Infinitives look like this: to run, to eat, to sleep etc. Splitting the infinitive is when you insert an adverb like this: to quickly run, to noisily eat, to peacefully sleep.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
This would've been so useful last year. Anwayz I'm glad I'm done forever with this god-awful subject.

Tacitus

HSC
What's your issue with split infinitives? My lecturers have always said that 'never splitting the infinitive' is a bit of an old and outdated view often favoured by traditionalists. I thought it was supposed to be considered alright these days?
It's not so much about how relevant it is, more about knowing what it is. Like three-quarters of the techniques you get taught. :tongue:

For example, not many people would see anything wrong about starting a sentence with 'And'. Back in the day, it was a capital crime against English. Nobody cares now, but it still violates the laws of grammar.

Tacitus

HSC
BTW You mentioned marking criteria. Do English teachers have a specific marking criteria we don't see, or do they just use the very general three dot points you see on the back of study guides?
There is a syllabus released by the Board of Studies with dot points (more than 3, about 20) that HAVE to be assessed by your school before the HSC. Each in-school assessment covers a few of those.

That's why you have speeches and writing for different text types, like letters and feature articles.

I can upload it if you like, but there's a fair bit of it. :)

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
question if you don't mind tacitus

5. Linkage: What the significance of your quote is, and how it answers the question. I have come to believe, after much learning, tears, practice, failure, arguments, trial, error, and tutoring that a good 70-80% of marks are allocated on the quality of linkage. It is the final step on the journey from words to meaning. This is the part that takes the most practice, and can rarely be memorised word-for-word to use on exam day. Linkage usually takes the form of: The use of (technique) makes the audience feel (significance), and this means they can identify with (your thesis). As a result, (your thesis) is an especially relevant take on (the question).

Would you say it's necessary to express how the audience feels as a result of a technique? or would you throw this in maybe once every paragraph

thx for the advice

Tacitus

HSC
question if you don't mind tacitus

[/font][/color]

Would you say it's necessary to express how the audience feels as a result of a technique? or would you throw this in maybe once every paragraph

thx for the advice
Once a paragraph is fine. Just indicates to the marker you have the audience of a text in mind.

*Crosses off a syllabus dot point*

But also, if your linkage is long enough (and generally the longer the better, it's where the majority of marks are awarded), it's possible to make an entire paragraph out of one quote/technique anyway.

Last edited:

AmieLea

HSC
haha, another person where this wouldn't been alot more helpful about 2 weeks ago... but i'm definitely saving that word doc someone posted and going through it more thoroughly when the next exams come up.

thanks!!! :)

and i agree, the BOS was either really tired or lazy when they made up the english syllabus. stupid people... :vcross:

fly8

HSC
I was told by my tutor to put in 6-10 tecniques per paragraph.
and i wasnt taught about linking. FAIL?

wheres the syllabus for year 11? i can't find it on bos.

and what about an extension essay.. im probs gonna use this format anyway, screw ext.

OH and i dont know how to possibly predict the essay question D:

Last edited:

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
You deserve a million reps....

I agree with you 100% on the English syllabus which is why I hate the subject so much..there's so much analytical bullshit and it's so subjective...because of you, and perhaps some tutoring I think I can ace English.

Thank you.

emmiijayne

HSC
THANKYOU! i am in year 11, but can totally relate to the things you said about not having syllabus space to really learn how to write an essay!!

Coming up to my half-yearly exams this was a big help :)

Queen Beee

HSC
Thanks! The essay structure guidelines have helped a lot. I will hopefully be totally ready for the trials..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)